Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Grover mini tuners on Blues King L-00

Willie King

OK folks, I have decided to do it. I love my little Blues King it is a go to guitar. It plays more gigs than almost any of the herd. from talking to some knowledgeable people and learning that it won't diminish the value of this guitar too badly I am going with Grover keystone tuners to replace the tacky Grover minis that came on it. The guitar is just shy of 10 years old and I have owned it for 6 years. The minis are starting to slip and well I am ready to trade off the perceived value loss for better function and a more Gibson look with the Keystones.

Any thoughts?

OK folks, I have decided to do it. I love my little Blues King it is a go to guitar. It plays more gigs than almost any of the herd. from talking to some knowledgeable people and learning that it won't diminish the value of this guitar too badly I am going with Grover keystone tuners to replace the tacky Grover minis that came on it. The guitar is just shy of 10 years old and I have owned it for 6 years. The minis are starting to slip and well I am ready to trade off the perceived value loss for better function and a more Gibson look with the Keystones.

Any thoughts?

There are those who say that people are too hasty in changing out tuners. The problem could be that they're gummed up or just need cleaning out or that there could be an issue with the nut. Before you take a rather large step maybe you could try some maintenance which could save you time and money.Sometimes the solution lies elsewhere.

Another vote here for something that would look more at home on an L-00; something along the lines of white (-ish) button tuners. If you'd like to treat yourself to something nice, Waverly Grained Ivoroid tuners look better the closer you look, and are a tactile treat every time you tune. (Edit: ok, these might be a bit much for an L-00 re-issue type of guitar)

By your opening sentence, it sounds like you've already decided to change out the Roto's. So- you're looking to put Grover Keystone tuners; are these the ones (they still have the physically and visually heavy Roto gear enclosures): Link ? You used the word "tacky" in front of Rotomatic; it's your guitar- put something on there so that there will not be one thing about it that causes you to think twice about loving every little thing about that guitar.

Since L-00s are not big guitars I agree mini Grovers are too much, but I feel the Keystones you're thinking of installing are gonna be too big too and stick out.

I'd also suggest a tuner with small cream buttons, even the old style closed back Klusons either individually or the 3 on a strip ones.

Since L-00s are not big guitars I agree mini Grovers are too much, but I feel the Keystones you're thinking of installing are gonna be too big too and stick out.

I'd also suggest a tuner with small cream buttons, even the old style closed back Klusons either individually or the 3 on a strip ones.

Keep 'em small and w/small cream buttons [thumbup]

Thanks for all of the input. I will consider all of your suggestions and ponder the wisdom shared here. If this picture comes in you can see what I was thinking. I do have a very nice L-00. The Blues King is not as valuable and I was thinking of hot rodding it. Or some might say, make it tacky in a way I like. ;-)

post-71890-033795000 1481768639_thumb.jpg

Well, how 'bout that? Another fan of the green tulips. Going to make me eat my "it's your guitar" words- going all maverick & putting the Grover 135n's on a Blues King (I was secretly hoping it might not be the chrome keystones).

Good news/bad news: it looks like those mini's have their screws to the inside, and the holes will be visible unless filled and touched up. Luckily, that's a pretty dark stain on the neck, and should be easier to touch up/minimize. The good news is the new screw holes won't be half overlapping the old holes, as might be the case with standard rotomatics, requiring filling first before drilling pilot holes (1/16").

You've already said that you like this guitar- since it'll probably be yours for a while, why not make it as you'd like. It would be different if it were a rare guitar, or original L-00. How often do you look at the back of the headstock when it's in service? You'll enjoy grabbing for those tulips every time you do.

Well, how 'bout that? Another fan of the green tulips. Going to make me eat my "it's your guitar" words- going all maverick & putting the Grover 135n's on a Blues King (I was secretly hoping it might not be the chrome keystones).

Good news/bad news: it looks like those mini's have their screws to the inside, and the holes will be visible unless filled and touched up. Luckily, that's a pretty dark stain on the neck, and should be easier to touch up/minimize. The good news is the new screw holes won't be half overlapping the old holes, as might be the case with standard rotomatics, requiring filling first before drilling pilot holes (1/16").

You've already said that you like this guitar- since it'll probably be yours for a while, why not make it as you'd like. It would be different if it were a rare guitar, or original L-00. How often do you look at the back of the headstock when it's in service? You'll enjoy grabbing for those tulips every time you do.

Thanks 62burst. This guitar is the one that goes to the gigs that gets into the videos and everyone sees. I have another L-00 that only comes out at home. I may also put a peace truss rod cover on it as I have one and the one one it has a small crack in it. I guess I am making a statement. I have butterbean tuners on my Nick Lucas which is the same size except for depth of body. May someday Gibson will sell the "Willie King Model" ROFLMA

Well gang not the best picture but here they are and I like them.

Don't we need to see the rest of the guitar - to get the tuners in context? [biggrin]

(my Cargill custom guitar has real ebony buttons and so nice and 'tactile' and I am starting to think..........hmm, keep my BK tuners and change the buttons!)

BluesKing777.

Don't we need to see the rest of the guitar - to get the tuners in context? [biggrin]

(my Cargill custom guitar has real ebony buttons and so nice and 'tactile' and I am starting to think..........hmm, keep my BK tuners and change the buttons!)

BluesKing777.

Yup....ebony for the mini's are available!

Archived