Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar Amp

Zentar

I want a small acoustic amp for Taylor and Gibson acoustic electric guitars. 20 amp is nice but 10 amp is better. Maybe somebody knows an even smaller amp that duplicates acoustic frequencies?

$150 range. Is that enough $$ to hear the intricate acoustic tones?

Ive never owned one for acoustic but I own a bunch for electric guitars. Always playing with no amplification when I'm picken acoustic. Electric guitar amps seem to be not up to the job. Is there any tips I should know about acoustic amps?

Hi Zentar

So this is just an amp you want to use in your home to amplify your guitar? have I got that right? not planning to gig etc?

Acoustic amps are a bit different than the entry priced guitar amps in that even the decent moderately priced ones usually push into the mid $200 range

(like the Bugera AC60)

But there are a few amps in that price range you mentioned. it sounds like you may be looking for something more like this:

Behringer AT108

of for a bit more, the Ultracoustic amps

I've never tried either of these myself, but with Behringer gear, they usually sound passable to very good, but the problem is reliability. If you're not moving it around a lot, could be ok.

I have a few amps I use but I do use them performing out. one is an acoustasonci Jr, an 80 watt 2 way with 2 8" speakers and a dispersion driver, as well as a Behringer KDX1800FX (primarly designed as a keyboard/portable PA, but it has a 10 band EQ and a 12" speaker w/a dispersion horn. It works really nicely as an acoustic amp, espeically if you drop an Acoustic DI or even a another graphic EQ inline with the guitar The newer model is the KDx12 and that's around $350 new

If you were moving up in to the $300/$500 price range the fishman loudbox mini or loud box artist would probably be the ones to go for. These guys put out a very good product for acoustic amplification. When I'm ready to upgrade, (may be later this year) I'll be going that route myself.

I have a used Kustom bass amp (16 watts) that I had left over from my bass-playing days and use it as an acoustic amp.Some literature stated that they can be used for acoustic guitars due to their response profiles. I've used the thing for both an Epiphone DR50MCE and a J-45 and it sounds just fine.And it's cheap!Ideally you might opt for an acoustic amp but, if money's a concern you could find a bargain with a practice bass amp.

I have a used Kustom bass amp (16 watts) that I had left over from my bass-playing days and use it as an acoustic amp.Some literature stated that they can be used for acoustic guitars due to their response profiles. I've used the thing for both an Epiphone DR50MCE and a J-45 and it sounds just fine.And it's cheap!Ideally you might opt for an acoustic amp but, if money's a concern you could find a bargain with a practice bass amp.

I had heard a monitor or bass amp can amplify acoustics because some have horns in them. So I was looking at some amps for acoustic using 8" speaker but no horns. I was curious what supplies the high frequency without the horn(or tweeter)?

I cant recommend enough stepping up just a tad to the Fishman Loudbox Mini. You wont be sorry.

This Yamaha is "ok" : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/yamaha-thr5a-acoustic-modeling-combo-amp?rNtt=yamaha%20thr&index=5

You can probably get it for $185 shipped.

But it's "whats's the point even"?

What's the point? Do you mean amplifying an acoustic isn't needed?

That could be what Sal is eluding to, and some people may feel this way but, not me.

I like to use my acoustic amps when I'm just noodling around sometimes, add some reverb, for example just for some added ambience

I don't crank it either, probably just loud enough to be on par with the natural projected sound.

Where I do a lot of instrumental work, (alternate tuning, chord / melody fingerstyle soloist playing) adds to my own enjoyment of those practice/noodling sessions. it just works for me, and,, hey it's all about me right? LOL!

I amplify all the time. I gig. I used to own a Loudbox Mini, and I now use an SA220.

So, amplification - what's the point - is not what I meant. Sorry if I was not clear. I meant what's the point in buying a Yamaha 5 watt desk top thingy for $200 when you can get the Loudbox mini for $300. The Yamaha is barely amplifying. I know. I have one. I gave it to one son for Christmas a year ago, and it sit unused in a corner of my office. It is pointless in my opinion.

Heck if you live in NJ and can pick it up I will sell it to you for $100. I can use the dough for date money in Tijuana...

Being the knuckle dragger I am, I stick a soundhole pickup in them and plug right into my usual Klassik Rokk Rig, no special hah falootn koostik amps for me. The audience knows nothing and cares less.

rct

Sal...

I used to own a Loudbox Mini, and I now use an SA220.

Been thinking about update to one of the loudboxes..

but I am skeptical the mini would do it for me, I'm working with the music directory at our catholic church,, huge traditional late 1800s gothic style building. with no sound system to speak of. (Mics for Cantor and priests.. sheesh!)

I put the amp off to the side, behind me, point it to the opposite corner and crank it to the point where it's blending with the piano. I think I'd have to go with an Artist or Performer,

re the Mini: would it actually push that much sound out to get to the back of the cathedral,, so to speak???

It just has to "BE" there I'm not trying to be Bon Jovi with these dudes. (although that may just wake some people up...)

Being the knuckle dragger I am, I stick a soundhole pickup in them and plug right into my usual Klassik Rokk Rig, no special hah falootn koostik amps for me. The audience knows nothing and cares less.

rct

And if you put a Floyd Rose on that martin, you would rule the world,, I'm quite sure..

!LOL!

Ray - I bet the Loudbox Artist would be perfect - Tons of power.

But the SA220 (or the SA330 thats replacing it), is line array. It's about twice the price, but they are awesome. I am not a gear head, but these units are designed for even sound dispersion. I.E. the folks in the back hear you as well as the folks up front. I am a big fan of the sound. If one has the economic means, these are great units, highly portable, easy setup...

Save up a little more and buy a used Fishman Loudbox Mini. I actually picked up a pair of these for $140 each. Didn't need two, but for the price I couldn't pass them both up. They usually go for a bit more than that used, but let me tell you, they are well worth it. I've owned larger Fishman, Marshall and SWR acoustic amps, and have still been very impressed with the little FIshman Loudbox Mini, and friends who have plugged into and/or listened to it have as well. I let a buddy borrow the second amp I bought and am having a tough time getting it back from him!

I also have a Yamaha THR10 which sits on my coffee table, but it's a totally different application.It wasn't originally designed to be used in live applications. It's great for recording, and sounds just ok with it's acoustic setting, but it excels as a low volume, great sounding coffee table amp for electric guitars that gives you really usable sounds, but if you really want your acoustic to sound great plugged in with a full, rich sound but don't want to break the bank go with the used Loudbox.

I used to be in the camp of "just plug your acoustic into your electric guitar amp" but doesn't do justice to the acoustic. I'd still prefer plugging my acoustics into the cheap little Fishman Loudbox Mini, and that says a lot given I've had quite a few nice Fender Silverfaces over the years, currently a minty 1976 Deluxe Reverb that's been gone through, original spec with no mods and has had a cap job in the last couple years.

Sal...

I used to own a Loudbox Mini, and I now use an SA220.

Been thinking about update to one of the loudboxes..

but I am skeptical the mini would do it for me, I'm working with the music directory at our catholic church,, huge traditional late 1800s gothic style building. with no sound system to speak of. (Mics for Cantor and priests.. sheesh!)

I put the amp off to the side, behind me, point it to the opposite corner and crank it to the point where it's blending with the piano. I think I'd have to go with an Artist or Performer,

re the Mini: would it actually push that much sound out to get to the back of the cathedral,, so to speak???

It just has to "BE" there I'm not trying to be Bon Jovi with these dudes. (although that may just wake some people up...)

You may (or may not) be pleasantly surprised at how much those little Loudbox Minis project. Yes, it's not as good as an AER, but it's also a fraction of the cost. I've owned Loudbox Artists and actually prefer the Mini. Don't know why, but thought the mini sounded better for my application. And was just fine in rehearsals in a 7 piece band with 2 guitars, pedal steel, bass, drums and two singers. YMMV though. If in doubt go with the Artist. It's still a killer amp and will have no problems keeping up for what you're looking for. I don't play with those guys anymore, so the Mini is just fine for me.

thx sbpark!

I may have to ask the store owner down the road here if I can road test one of each before I pull the trigger, used to teach for him, and have known him for many years before and after, I'm sure he'd work that out with me.

+10 on the Loudbox mini. I bought mine a few years ago after I saw Toby Walker using one at a gig in fair sized room. I've used mine playing out with my group before we had a PA with enough inputs. I just balanced it with the rest of the group. The only drawback is that it doesn't supply phantom power if your mic needs it, but that's no big deal for me. I have a cheap four channel mixer and have used it with two mics, a guitar and a mandolin going into the loudbox.

Go for it.

Rich

Ray - I bet the Loudbox Artist would be perfect - Tons of power.

But the SA220 (or the SA330 thats replacing it), is line array. It's about twice the price, but they are awesome. I am not a gear head, but these units are designed for even sound dispersion. I.E. the folks in the back hear you as well as the folks up front. I am a big fan of the sound. If one has the economic means, these are great units, highly portable, easy setup...

Hey Sal

Thanks man, I wasn't able to check right off, but I did some poking later on today and yea, the SA units look /sound awesome, yet.. not cheap but not crazy either..

yet... The Artist is probably what will do the job, it's a huge building! The natural Cathedral reverb is unreal there... :) i digress..

anyway I'll take it slow with this,, maybe they'll continue to expand the program here and something like the SA series will be more worth while!

Cheers man!

Merry Christmas to all!

It's needed if you need it. WHY you need it is likely a moot point. I get stuck needing it now and then, and it usually pisses me off. This is probably why dinosaurs became extinct. Hold on, brothers, I'll be there soon😄

I;m a bit greedy and have three acoustic guitar amps:

Roland AC33:

AER Compact 60/2:

Yamaha THR5A.

All are darn good, at least for my purposes and the AER 60 is really over doing it. However, if push came to shove, I'd be quite happy if my only amp was the THR5A, mainly as I am a home noodler and don't gig.

Hey Sal

Thanks man, I wasn't able to check right off, but I did some poking later on today and yea, the SA units look /sound awesome, yet.. not cheap but not crazy either..

yet... The Artist is probably what will do the job, it's a huge building! The natural Cathedral reverb is unreal there... :) i digress..

anyway I'll take it slow with this,, maybe they'll continue to expand the program here and something like the SA series will be more worth while!

Cheers man!

Merry Christmas to all!

Another option would be to keep your eyes peeled for a used SWR California Blonde. They tend to pop up on craigslist for around $600 or less now and then. If you find one snag it! If you need something loud, clean and powerful and don't want to spend thousands, the California Blonde is a great option. The original, pre-Fender acquisition California Blondes are the best with the nicer tweeter and crossover. It's the choice for Jackson Browne and Lindsey Buckingham, so I'm sure it would suit your needs. And did I already mention this amp is LOUD? But that also comes at a price, as this amp is a bit on the heavy side. I had one, and although ti sounded great, it was overkill for my needs and too darn heavy and cumbersome.

1482386994[/url]' post='1821203']

Santa bringing you a new sa330 sal !?

Have you had a chance to test it and compare to the 220 ?

And to the OP , sal is right. Don't blow money on little gadget amps , get a 'proper' one and turn the volume down .

Grunt... no upgrade for me. I haven't tried the new one either. I have just read the reviews. The SA220 does it for me; not worth the expense of upgrading.

Archived