Gibson Brands Forums

Greatest Rock song Guitar Solos

Homz

What? To each his own. The guys on the list have stood proudly through the space of time. Perhaps I just don't get it' date=' but although I do think BB king and Albert King were great artist I've never thought of either as being among the best soloist. I love "Over the Hills and Far Away",but there were only so many options on the poll list and again I'm sure there is an over all stand out solo in the song. I'll catch hell for this, but prior to this forum I had never heard of Gary Moore. Your best point IMHO is the Allman Brothers, but again there are only so many poll options. I did do us all a favor and deleted MetaliCrap. You could have thanked me for that.[/quote']

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of Gary Moore before...especially when he was with Thin Lizzy.

Ok...THANK YOU for deleting MetaliCrap!! lol.

Here ye, Here ye.......all you of little faith, go to youtube now and watch Stairway live from Song remains the same, he's not human and he's not even in that arena whilst playing that, Page and then the rest, my top 3 and has been for a long time

1. Sir James Patrick Page

2. Dave Gilmour

3. SRV

was hard to split them 2 but Gilmour wins only cause of more styles covered but Stevie surely plays like a man possessed =P~

I must admit part of this poll is my fault. I gave suggestions as to what solos were even worthy of being considered in a Top 10. (And let me just say....Stairway was NOT one of them. I flippin hate that song!)

But in the past few days since Homz started this topic, I have been paying extra attention to the radio. I still say that Statesboro Blues is not nearly as good as Jessica. Though I'm totally impressed by the piano work on "Call Me The Breeze." (Yes, I realize I am mixing bands here).

As a general rule, I do NOT like Stairway to Heaven, but the solo does something that few rock guitar solos do----it carries on the melody/feel of the song in a way that most don't. It *is* the lyrics that aren't being sung. I'll give it that. For my money, I'd rather hear Jimmy playing "Since I've Been Loving You," but I don't cringe every time they play Stairway on the radio like I used to do.

Still....You can't do much better than the dueling solos in Layla and Hotel California.

Now if Homz would just put on a purple velvet suit and start playing Voodoo Chile.............Well, I could die happy.

Archived