Gibson Brands Forums

Taylor Owner Just scored a Gibson Jumbo

stockegsix

Holy cats. When you said $650, I was expecting one of the made in Canada cheapies, not a Bozeman made J-100. That is a steal of a deal, congratulations. Love the J-100 too, had a maple version, but I've played the Bubinga versions and they're really nice guitars. Play it for a few weeks, then go and get a good set-up and you'll be a really happy puppy.

My experience of these, by the way, is that they take a bit of time and hard playing to really open up, then, look out.

Man, that's about 1K less than what I paid for mine, and I thought I got a decent deal!

It's really a great guitar -- big, full, "jumbo" sound, but with plenty of clarity and bright highs. Hope you enjoy it.

Here's a pick of mine (sorry to those who've already seen it!):

3d114d7aca.jpg

and a link to a thread discussing the history of the model which, it apears, has just been discontinued.

Welcome and congradulations on your new guitar and great deal. I see them used on craigslist for $800-1100 in our neck of the woods, so you got a great deal.....I'm always surprised when I see the Taylor/Gibson combo owner in here. One has a bolt on neck, has a very clean sound, the other glued neck and very woody sound, I like it....the more the merrier.....may each of your guitars lead you on a great musical journey

I'm always surprised when I see the Taylor/Gibson combo owner in here. One has a bolt on neck' date=' has a very clean sound, the other glued neck and very woody sound, I like it....the more the merrier.....may each of your guitars lead you on a great musical journey[/quote']

Which is exactly the reason to own the combo Robert... Other than as a backup for performance, I could never understand why someone would want two guitars or more that sound similar to each other. I totally agree with your analysis but would add the word "Shimmery" (is that a word?) to the Taylor sound while my AJ is anything but shimmery... it is a much darker, soulful sound. My Taylor GSMC is somewhere inbetween due to the shape and wood combo. The hog back and sides combined with the badonkadonk lower bout give it plenty of shimmery clean while the cedar top mellows out the shimmer to a more woody sound but not dark.... I love the tonal variety currently housed in my music room and could not have it without both Taylor and Gibson.

Taylor Player....I'm with you.....different sounds for different reasons....Every time I pick up my Gibson L-20, my fingers naturally move to the Blues.....It just happens, When I pick up my Gibson Firebird, I'm off to the races with fingerstyle Beatles or something like that......I think Brand loyalty has it's place, but the world of guitars is sooooo varied and beautiful, that why not vary the pallette, be surprised, and enjoy the variety of life...

Thanks guys,

But I was kind of in a hurry last night when I bought the SJ-100 and forgot to get strings. Anyways I went back today, got some Elixer 12's and another steal...

Epiphone les paul standard in tobacco burst brand new for $30. Yup that's thirty dollars, reason broken head stock. But the break is really clean and its after the nut, it's also at an angle so there is a lot of open surface for the glue to rest. This should be a simple fix. I will post pics of both guitars in a little bit. thanks again.

Taylor Player....I'm with you.....different sounds for different reasons....Every time I pick up my Gibson L-20' date=' my fingers naturally move to the Blues.....It just happens, When I pick up my Gibson Firebird, I'm off to the races with fingerstyle Beatles or something like that......I think Brand loyalty has it's place, but the world of guitars is sooooo varied and beautiful, that why not vary the pallette, be surprised, and enjoy the variety of life...

[/quote']

I've always tried to have a mix - I used to use a LoPrinzi Blue Stripe for the big big stuff, the sj200 for loud and my old LG3 for soulful (which I sometimes flipped for the O-18 Martin, although that was pretty tinny). Now I have a J185 and my LG3 although I had to look pretty far for a 185 with true spirit, and haven't felt the need to move out of the family. I love the mahogany SJ100s, BTW - much nicer than the SJ200s for balance of tone...

here they are...

$650 Gibson SJ-100 w/ case. I just installed Elixirs and what a difference.

sj100.jpg

sj1002.jpg

$30 Epiphone Les Paul standard (got it with a busted head stock) I just finished gluing the 2 pieces together.

epi.jpg

ep2.jpg

Gibson makes a great set of strings for that axe...they're called sj2000 or something like that and come in a 50/11 which kill!

I've always tried to have a mix - I used to use a LoPrinzi Blue Stripe for the big big stuff' date=' the sj200 for loud and my old LG3 for soulful (which I sometimes flipped for the O-18 Martin, although that was pretty tinny). Now I have a J185 and my LG3 although I had to look pretty far for a 185 with true spirit, and haven't felt the need to move out of the family. I love the mahogany SJ100s, BTW - much nicer than the SJ200s for balance of tone...[/quote']

Sounds like a nice family of Gibby's there Jan....

Welcome to the forum!

Archived