Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN !

Bluesy69

5 hours ago, Old said:

Look at heritage and other companies,  you can get a 50, 60s guitar for one quarter of the price built by the 50s gibson guys on the Kalamazoo equipment., I  have 3, they are better than the old Gibson's I have owned. 62 years playing experience. 

Norman Mozley 

I've had two heritage guitars,  they aren't what they are cracked up to be.  

I really believe the only way to purchase a Les Paul is to buy it in person. Play it. Check it all out. They cost a lot of money and if you cant find any in your area its worth taking a road trip. Its an investment. I don't play Les Pauls because they are just not comfortable for me to play gigs with. I wield an SG for that, But I do own a Flame Top that literally took months and months of looking. Some road trips, the whole thing because I knew I was looking in the $5000 range. I would never computer shop for that even from the Nashville plant itself. And its funny because that was my last trip. Right to the Gibson showroom. I ended up getting a beautiful R9. I didnt get it custom made for me but i got to choose the neck carve i liked, the sound the feel, even the neck angle because they do vary a bit. Mine has a nice shallow 3°. So its got tons of room for adjustment. The neck angle was a custom order that was never purchased. My gain. Lol. Good luck ever finding that neck angle. I hate anything over 4°. My friends LP is like 6°. Definately a QC disaster. It plays ok but it hasnt much room to mess with the bridge. But any way. Gibson has had alot of QC problems which would be ok if they were charging $500 not $5000. Sorry you got a less than perfect one. Rock on brother.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel Woods said:

I really believe the only way to purchase a Les Paul is to buy it in person. Play it. Check it all out. They cost a lot of money and if you cant find any in your area its worth taking a road trip. Its an investment. I don't play Les Pauls because they are just not comfortable for me to play gigs with. I wield an SG for that, But I do own a Flame Top that literally took months and months of looking. Some road trips, the whole thing because I knew I was looking in the $5000 range. I would never computer shop for that even from the Nashville plant itself. And its funny because that was my last trip. Right to the Gibson showroom. I ended up getting a beautiful R9. I didnt get it custom made for me but i got to choose the neck carve i liked, the sound the feel, even the neck angle because they do vary a bit. Mine has a nice shallow 3°. So its got tons of room for adjustment. The neck angle was a custom order that was never purchased. My gain. Lol. Good luck ever finding that neck angle. I hate anything over 4°. My friends LP is like 6°. Definately a QC disaster. It plays ok but it hasnt much room to mess with the bridge. But any way. Gibson has had alot of QC problems which would be ok if they were charging $500 not $5000. Sorry you got a less than perfect one. Rock on brother.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, Daniel Woods said:

The problem is no store has many Gibsons in stock. I just went through the main guitar stores and on line stores and no one has the 335 that I want. Due to Covid, in 2021, no one has many in stock for you to try out. So the only option is to put one on reserve and wait your turn. 15 people are waiting at the one line store for the same guitar I want. It maybe until April until I see the guitar.

Regarding quality control, my impression by many is ever since the reconstruction, the quality control has gotten a lot better. I'm sure that some small issues may get by as they are so far behind with orders. . 

22 hours ago, Revelation said:

The problem is no store has many Gibsons in stock. 

*Nods* There's a lot of demand right now. 

And I'm not sure if it's just me, but I tend to go a little QC crazy, at least I did this time. In the past I've ended up getting replacement stuff for sub-par components that I never even replaced in the end. I'll just play this while it's under warranty, and if it doesn't fall apart, it probably won't fall apart one day over the line either. 

I do believe with Gibson prices that they should spend hours with every guitar before they stamp it as OK, but I don't think they agree. 

My conspiracy theory is that's why you can never make out the name on the checklist. Your guitar was inspected either by Peter Frampton, Pig Farmer or Paul Flubber - and his real name is probably Gordon Xavier Scott III, Undercover QC Division. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Chris 88 said:

Has anybody had problems with the neck pickup being louder than the bridge pickup on the 2018 Gibson sg special with the mini humbuckers? 

Seems unlikely, but it possible. If they are an original Gibson pair they should be fine. Are they Gibson or aftermarket replacements? Drop them out & have a look underneath if necessary. 

No matter what's in there, you may be able to compensate by raising the bridge pickup & lowering the neck pickup.

BTW. It would have been better to have created a new thread rather that resurrect this ancient millstone.