Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J50 and Eastman E10SS

MorrisrownSal

This is a quick comparison of two guitars I own. I don't say "vs", because its not really a contest. I like them both. The Eastman is about half the price of the Gibson but that doesn't matter to me. I figure both new and used, The Gibson costs out at about twice the Eastman. I will say that every Gibson I bought had excellent quality control - fit finish neck etc. While this Eastman has all that, I have had some prior, and played ones I didnt own, which I could not say the same thing about. However this Eastman is spot-on in all those departments.

I find the J50 Jangly, more trebles, and more crisp. I find the Eastman "thicker", "fat", and more bass.

When I play them I don't hear them how I do when I playback this video. I think the Eastman sounds much better in person. It does have an Adi top, and it is only months old, so it hasn't opened up yet - or so I am told.

Forgive the sloppy playing. I am too lazy to perfect it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlHNRrdhz-w

It's hard to say, Sal. They both sound very good. If anything, I think I heard the Gibson's mature sound above all else. It will be interesting to see how the Eastman matures over the years. I must say that the Eastman seems to NOT have that brittle, sometimes harsh sound that Adi can have when new. That's a very good thing.

Thanks for posting. I love guitar demos.

Roger

A demo where you can hear the difference between the two guitars is always enjoyable; it helps to get to know one guitar better when another one is there for reference. Yes, what you've described the two guitars as is what I'm hearing, as well. I've really come back around to appreciating Sitka. And maybe 70 year old Adirondack ; ).

Thanks for putting that up, Sal.

Yes, the Eastman sounds nice. Rounder bass, as you say, and rolled off trebles. Warmer overall. Impressive for its price. The J-50 rings clear as a bell. Either is a machine that could provide a lifetime of enjoyment. It's nice to be able to have both!

Red 333

Archived