Gibson Brands Forums

For All the Older Folks *****in and Moanin.....lol

JayinLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxUut6Nps

Since the "How old are you" Thread, I have realized that their are a bunch of dudes in their 50's and 60's on this forum all wishing they were young again. Here's a video I love...One of my all-time favorite Metal Acts...The Mighty Annihilator. BTW That insanely brutal drumming is from a dude that's 68 years old.

Sometimes a lil perspective is a good thing.

Since the "How old are you" Thread, I have realized that their are a bunch of dudes in their 50's and 60's on this forum all wishing they were young again. Here's a video I love...One of my all-time favorite Metal Acts...The Mighty Annihilator. BTW That insanely brutal drumming is from a dude that's 68 years old.

I am really happy with being almost 65, I've done all that crap in my 20's & 30's. Now I play what I want, when I want [thumbup]

TC

ps: good on them.

...I have realized that their are a bunch of dudes in their 50's and 60's on this forum all wishing they were young again...

Not really. I'll be 71 in a couple of weeks and wouldn't trade my experiences and what I've been through for anything. And just remember that the one thing you finally figured out? I've been perfecting it for decades LOL. All in good fun. We are who we are, aren't we?

Not really. I'll be 71 in a couple of weeks and wouldn't trade my experiences and what I've been through for anything. And just remember that the one thing you finally figured out? I've been perfecting it for decades LOL. All in good fun. We are who we are, aren't we?

That's awesome. I'll drink to that !!! Cheers [lol]

I dont wish I was young.

I wouldnt mind losing the thumb arthritis though.

BTW, that music was horrible!

I too don't wish to relive the past. I got to 60 honestly enough, and I have no regrets. The health is good, and things "mostly" are in good shape.

nothing is perfect.. once we become wise enough to know what we can change and what is a battle not worth fighting, life gets a bit less complicated.

...nothing is perfect.. once we become wise enough to know what we can change and what is a battle not worth fighting, life gets a bit less complicated.

A good friend of mine, (also retired) once said something to the effect of "once you figure out this is all just a game, nothing else matters". He was waaaay smarter than me, [laugh]

Is there anything uncooler than a band wearing shorts though? Unless you’re the drummer shorts should be verboten.

I saw Foghat over the summer open for BOC and I think the drummer was the only original member of the band, and I was in about row 20 or so and he it the double bass drum so hard sometimes my chest hurt. Many a young whipper snapper does not know who Foghat or BOC are.

Foghat was hard rockin group. I remember when I was about 10 years old, I got a cd in my stocking called "Guitar Rock". It had Slow Ride from Foghat on it. I learned to play all the songs on that compilation cd on an old 1961 Fender Acoustic guitar that my mom had in a closet since before I was born, I guess.

Yea, it just proves that if you stay active eat at least marjinally healthy and try to steer clear of the real hard stuff, you can thrash out for decades and decades. Every time I see a Ginger Baker piece I am always intrigued at how angry he plays the drums.

I love Annihilator but have never kept up with the line up changes,

Jeff is a hell of a guitar player, sometimes I say he is too good for his own good.

A few months ago I sold my Jeff Waters Flying V, an original 2010 model. I just could not do that guitar any justice.

As for the drummer, it is indeed incredible he is 68 and drumming for a Thrash band. I am sure yoga and other healthy habits are involved.

The age thing, save for additional stiffness at 48 I feel better today than I felt the previous 15 years. I was not out of shape that badly but for the last few years I have been on a consistent exercise routine and feel great.

Gotta tell you, I could brag about my youth 15 years ago but I'd never thought I'd feel better later on.

Jeff is a hell of a guitar player, sometimes I say he is too good for his own good.

A few months ago I sold my Jeff Waters Flying V, an original 2010 model. I just could not do that guitar any justice.

As for the drummer, it is indeed incredible he is 68 and drumming for a Thrash band. I am sure yoga and other healthy habits are involved.

The age thing, save for additional stiffness at 48 I feel better today than I felt the previous 15 years. I was not out of shape that badly but for the last few years I have been on a consistent exercise routine and feel great.

Gotta tell you, I could brag about my youth 15 years ago but I'd never thought I'd feel better later on.

Dang Riffster, maybe I didn't broadcast it loud enough, I've been lookin for a Gibson V for a bit now, and a Jeff Waters woulda been right up my alley.

I like hearing you all brag about your youth. The main thing that stops me from bragging more, is, first my memory being basically shot, and the fact that I doubt anyone would beleive me.

Jeff is Dr. Frankenstein. As long as the guy has a guitar and 3 bodies...somehow he can bring the Monster that is Annihilator to life. He recorded all the instruments on the first record.

A good friend of mine, (also retired) once said something to the effect of "once you figure out this is all just a game, nothing else matters". He was waaaay smarter than me, [laugh]

yes.. for sure Dennis, it's all indeed a game. I try to stay away from politics, and main stream media,,(that's were most of the crap is hatched.)

I plan on playing as long as I'm able to. A drummer like that has to stay in good shape to play that kind of music constantly. They're more active than guitar players usually are. I'd be hard pressed to play 3-4 hours a night, 4-7 days a week again. I can still lug around a half stack without putting myself in severe agony the next day, though I see myself paying my kids to be roadies some day.

I plan on playing as long as I'm able to. A drummer like that has to stay in good shape to play that kind of music constantly. They're more active than guitar players usually are. I'd be hard pressed to play 3-4 hours a night, 4-7 days a week again. I can still lug around a half stack without putting myself in severe agony the next day, though I see myself paying my kids to be roadies some day.

BB King's boys hauled his stuff for decades.

Archived