Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Gibson I love Gibson

eeh1

KSdaddy.....thanks for saying that.......

Yeah' date=' I probably jumped the gun when I made the crack crack (get it? crack crack.....? Okay it wasn't that witty).

I guess when I'm handed more than one guitar that is less than a year old with the same crack in the same area I tend to get excited.

I just bought another Ovation so I best not be criticizing other companies about cracks. Ovations are like concrete. There are those that are cracked and those that WILL crack.

I hope I'm never invited to a real pissing contest. Between performance anxiety and a bad prostate I'd be eliminated in the first round.[/quote']

Thanks Wily Fool ....You have stated the points I was trying to make over in the "Forum Spirit Has Died" thread. The Gibson vs. Martin debate is not the point. The point is that the OP on this thread EXPECTED to get bashed and was was correct in his assumption!

It just completely sucks that the responses he received were mostly negative. Look at strummers response! If a friend came over to your house in person and was glowing with excitement about a new guitar they just spent a couple months of salary on .......would the above quote be the appropriate comments? Talk about a punch in the gut !!

If the rumors are true and strummer is to be Moderator .........then that makes his post doubly inappropriate !!

The OP said that he had just ordered the guitar and asked if anyone else had one and if so, what they thought of it. It seemed like he was looking for opinions on the guitar, good or bad. Yes, I did tell him that I have heard about problems with cracks, because I had. I did that so that he would be aware of the potential. He should make sure to keep it properly humidified so that he doesn't have the same problem. I also told him that the guitar was "not bad".

And yes, my friend did bring his guitar to my house and yes, the sides were very thin. My friend also acknowledged that and has since been keeping an eye on his guitar, as well. He was appreciative of me mentioning this to him, as I would hope the OP would also be.

In case you've not seen any of my other posts regarding my guitars, I do also own several Martins. There is nothing wrong with a Martin guitar. It's a different sound than a Gibson, but certainly nothing wrong with them.

If you notice on this thread, another person who also happens to be a moderator, also mentioned the potential for this model of Martin guitar to form cracks. Maybe there just might be this potential and the OP should be aware of it, so he can keep an eye on it.

Although true that Martin came up with the classic body shapes and styles that others have copied, there are currently at least two companies that take their classic design and execute them much better than Martin ever could. Collings and Goodall respectively. Try any acoustic from those two small builders and you will cream in your pants.

Strummer,

You were the first reply to the OP. Your big congratulations was to say that his new guitar was "not bad". Then go on to rip it apart. The tone of your overall post is negative. Now you get defensive and try to act like you were being nice and just trying to be helpful.

If your warning about the lightly built sides had been part of a congratulatory and pleasant reply and had not used language that made it sound like you could accidentally put your finger through the side wood .....maybe I would go along with your explanation.

If you notice your lead on the thread took things in a bad direction and the OP (who was already aware of this type of thing happening) really didn't seem to get many positive replies until it was pointed out. I know that was an expensive guitar and I know I would feel slighted if that had been the replies I had gotten if I had been the OP.

Now that you are a Mod you need to set the tone for the entire board. Just as your post set the tone for that thread .......You will now set the tone for the entire forum and you are already starting from behind the 8-ball due to previous issues. Which if you remember I was very supportive of both sides on that ..........

Well, I'm at a loss as to what more to say. My first comment to him was on the positive side, not negative. And I guess I missed it in his original post, but I didn't see where he said that he was already aware of that problem at the time I made my post. That's why I mentioned it. I'm sorry if I sounded defensive. That's certainly not how it was intended.

Well' date=' I'm at a loss as to what more to say. My first comment to him was on the positive side, not negative. And I guess I missed it in his original post, but I didn't see where he said that he was already aware of that problem at the time I made my post. That's why I mentioned it. I'm sorry if I sounded defensive. That's certainly not how it was intended.

[/quote']

Mike thanks for acknowledging that......wily

At the danger of flogging a dead horse, do Martin's have a bit of a rep for being built thinly, or less "solidly" than Gibsons?

I've never noticed this personally, but am no luthier so wouldn't really know if wood is thick or thin at the sides...

Some people in the know (large dealers included) tend to suggest that martins are more delicately built, but with higher quality standards and more constancy in fit and finish, but they all seem to agree that a good gibson, when found, is truly a thing to behold.

I actually really like both. I have two Martins (M38 and an OMC Aura) and two Gibson Acoustics (SJ200EC & a J185 Rosewood).

So what's best? For me it depends on what you want to play. Horses for courses!!

However I do especially love the two Gibsons and would never part with them.

Both Martin since 1833 and Gibson since 1894 seem to be able to please many people. To criticize either, one would have to have experience with more than one or two guitars. In the Past 30 + years I have aquired 5 Gibsons and 3 Martins. I have been unwilling to sell or give away any of them. I play them all and each one has its own character and dynamic. To compare the two brands is not really useful. Play your instruments and enjoy.

Don't have a D18 Authentic. I've played about four of them--one in particular was headshakingly awesome. You're in for a treat! I have played about half dozen 1930 era D18s- These Authentics are right there with them. It will be cool to see how the new ones open up in 5 or 10 years.

I don't play Martins much anymore. I have one left - an OM18V that is so good I'll never part with it. Even though I don't play it. Makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

There is room for them all. In my case, I am waaay overdue for another acoustic. I've battled with finding one that worked out for me. So I put off the decision now spending some time acquiring some PRS guitars. But when I was in the process of searching for the right 50th LP 1959 (which I bought yesterday) I did take time out to strat playing some Gibson acoustics again. I have to unload one or two of my PRS guitars before I move forward again since the 1959 50th LP was a huge toll on my wallet. I'll probably move out my McCarty Artist Package that has the Brazilian FB & HS.

So I'll just be revisiting many of the posts here and taking my time. After all, this site causes me to get alot of GAS.

Archived