Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod issue ... help pls !!

EuroAussie

Good news Aussie. Happy to hear it

Just for the sake of learning from this , how long was the humidity so low ? You said recently , but is that weeks or days were talking ?

And , if the truss was loosened so far that the nut screwed off - does that mean it was as loose as it can be , as in right at the end of its ‘usefulness’ ?

You screwed the nut back on and then did you then tighten the truss rod a little after that ?

Hope you understand what I’m asking here ...

Happy strumming to you

Mate, it was around 25% RH for amost 3 weeks now, and i used the soundhole humidifier a bit, but it dries out after 3 days and needs to be rewaterd ... which i frequently forgot to to do.

I screwed it back on until it felt tigth then made just a tiny right turn, that was pretty much it. Ill keep on humidifying it for a couple more days, then probably put the truss rod cover back on it ..... and not make that same mistake twice.

She's sounding real sweet again, really impressive compared to the piece of plywood a few days back. Its reallly worth humidifying solid wood guitars, they need it.

Mate, it was around 25% RH for amost 3 weeks now, and i used the soundhole humidifier a bit, but it dries out after 3 days and needs to be rewaterd ... which i frequently forgot to to do.

I screwed it back on until it felt tigth then made just a tiny right turn, that was pretty much it. Ill keep on humidifying it for a couple more days, then probably put the truss rod cover back on it ..... and not make that same mistake twice.

She's sounding real sweet again, really impressive compared to the piece of plywood a few days back. Its reallly worth humidifying solid wood guitars, they need it.

One of the many joys of living here in Ireland , hardly ever an issue , opposite would be the problem but indoors it’s not a worry

If I light my gas stove in the living room it can get to 30-35 ... might get worse if it was lit for longer but I’m miserable so it’s never lit that long

The central heating doesn’t change things as drastically as the little fire

One of the many joys of living here in Ireland , hardly ever an issue , opposite would be the problem but indoors it’s not a worry

If I light my gas stove in the living room it can get to 30-35 ... might get worse if it was lit for longer but I’m miserable so it’s never lit that long

The central heating doesn’t change things as drastically as the little fire

Not sure if you been watching the news but a massive arctic cold snap has dropped over the mainland, last night it was -16c and during day .11c. The furnaces and heater get working over time, thus drying out the air in the room. Last winter was mild, didnt use the humidifer once.

And dont forget we have central heating here, so the heat is on 24/ 7

Not sure if you been watching the news but a massive arctic cold snap has dropped over the mainland, last night it was -16c and during day .11c. The furnaces and heater get working over time, thus drying out the air in the room. Last winter was mild, didnt use the humidifer once.

And dont forget we have central heating here, so the heat is on 24/ 7

Yeah.

We’re getting a drop of that weather front here , worse in mainland Uk

My heat has never ever been on 24/7

It’ll be on more than usual but not 24/7

Think we’re getting to -8 or so they say , it is unusually dry cold weather

Tighten the nut, loosen the rod, raise the action, more lubrication.

She's sweating, turn off the gas heater.

No wonder there's so much confusion.

Sounds like the director of an X-rated movie shouting conflicting directions to the star and co-star.

EA - that's a beautiful guitar.

You can get a decent table top room humidifier for the price of a Blue Chip pick.

A hygrometer - around $10.

When the heat runs for extended periods of time - it dries out not just the air - but walls, furniture, flooring, etc. So, you're not just pumping water back into the air to keep your guitar hydrated - much of that humidity that gets back into the dry air from your humidifier gets sucked up by every other stick of wood in the room.

I guess that's why many keep the guitar cased with HuidiPaks.

I prefer to keep them out and stay on top of the room's humidity, under the assumption it will fluctuate less.

G'Luck!

"dries out after 3 days and needs to be rewaterd ... which i frequently forgot to to do."

just to add another side note, I've been topping off all my humidifiers (4 acoustics) all winter. I'm doing it everyday, or every other day. It is VERY dry here in New England during the average winter the RH% is in the mid/low 20s.

The drier things are, especially inside the guitar's body, the faster your humidifiers will need to be recharged.

If you can't humidify the room, or the whole house, then the only solid way to counter act the lack of moisture is keep your guitars cased, keep your humidifiers charged, when the guitar is out of the case to play it, put the humidifier in the case, and close it so the case material itself can maintain some of the moisture.

things will soon improve spring is returning to the northern hemispheres... sing Alleluia!!!

To all you guys that keep guitars humidified in the cases , and talk about 20% or less humidity ....

Do you see any change when playing the guitar out of its humidified case ?

How long do you get after it’s lifted out and exposed to the dryness ?

well in fact, it doesn't happen that fast, so a matter of a few hours out of the case, doesn't (I believe anyway) change by a large amount, how much moisture is absorbed into the wood.

consider that the guitar is in 22,20 hours of the day, in the case, being humidified, the wood is (hopfully) going to level off and maintain,

But even with all my efforts, I'm not getting much better than 40% rh, which is read from dropping a small hydrometer in trough the sound hole with a string attached so I can get it out (Case laying flat) I close the case, and leave it for about 30/45 minutes. I remove the humidifier so that doesn't give me any false reading. I have a few small ones, and they do seem to at least agree with each other, and a larger hydrometer I have in the main part of our house.

no need to do this every day, but about once a week or so. While 40% aint great, it's better than nothing.

I know I probably sound like a total nerd, Especially if you live in a climate where it's a bit more friendly to things like guitars and you've never had to worry about it. But it's a reality where I live. Especially my house with radiator heat. Once you get into the habit, it's not a big deal.

Having seen what can happen around to guitars when there's no attention paid to this detail, I know it isn't anything I need and want to deal with.

Have the same issue with my 1996 Dove. It showed around New Year and during January I gave the TR the first turn.

These last days winds from nothing less than far away Russia have blown over the country and now the guitar is unplayable.

Must check if the an extra 5 minutes to the right can compensate, else it time to shim (eeeeh, there's already a shim goin'). Alternative is to introduce a winter-saddle.

We'll see. .

Seems the maple is the only box that reacts to falling temperature and the real interesting question is of course is if the prob has taken the Firebird too.

The answer is no - suppose the many green flames there simply keep King Frost away.

UPDATE:

Truss rod nut (knob) is back on, been humidifying her for 2 days with a soundhole humidifier and room humidifier. Buzzing ..gone! Sounding super sweet again, action spot on. Thanks for all your assistance folks. Good reminder for me not to understimate low humidity again.

H3Zpwna.jpg

Beware of those soundhole humidifiers, I think most of those are not nitro save. I once had one (keyser), which left hazy spots around the soundhole, abendoned it immediately.

mmh, natural topped maple gibby, I want ](*,)

Sure 40% is fine and dandy isn’t it ?

I think I read somewhere that 40-45% is the normal relative humidity in the Bozeman plant. I know my guitars start to get pretty zingy at about 42-43%, which is what we have typically with the AC running.

I just glanced at my little environmental station on the wall, and we're running 75 degrees F and 46% humidity in my office right now. Even though it's nominally still winter here, it has been unusually warm for much of the winter, so the AC is on. I'm also painting inside (building a new kitchen for my wife), so the AC is on to help the paint cure more quickly.

Archived