Gibson Brands Forums

Tube substitutions

bassetman

Interesting night at the gig. Half way through the night my amp made a fuzz noise and went quiet. A look showed that V6 tube was out it’s a 12at7 tube. My only spare...yes I know my fault...was a 12ax7 from V1 (normal channel pre amp) so I swapped it out to finish up.....sounds incredible. I can throw my OD pedals away. Wonderful breakup starting about 4 on the volume that just gets better as you turn it up.....I’m leaving it there.

That makes me think a bit. Since I haven't owned a tube amp since 1983 (Fender Twin Reverb), should I be concerned with keeping a few tubes on hand for my new Marshall DSL100HR head and Marshall DSL40CR combo? I would hate to be at a gig and have that happen and not have a replacement. I guess I should be doing some research on doing proper maintenance on a tube amp?

I like to have a 12ax7 and a 12at7.....just in case. This is an amp I rescued and repaired. V6 was likely an original tube....it was in when I got it. I only replaced enough to make it work being cheap. I’m getting a whole set and a bias probe now that I know enough to be confident in what I’m doing. It’s my first tube amp and I knew nothing before getting it. Lots of good books on the subject though.

When I get a new amp I call up Luther and I get a full set in it and put the originals in the Car Box. The Car Box has been to every gig ever with me, but it never leaves the car. It's full of stuff, third and fourth spare mic and guitar cables, more extension cords and power strips, that kind of thing. And a box of tubes and fuses that I just can't break the habit of carrying, for nothing.

rct

In the last six months gigs have gone from occasional to two or three a week. Takes a lot more prep. If something will fail it will be just at the worst time. Being prepared is everything. Gotta get a box like yours RCT.

When I get a new amp I call up Luther and I get a full set in it and put the originals in the Car Box. The Car Box has been to every gig ever with me, but it never leaves the car. It's full of stuff, third and fourth spare mic and guitar cables, more extension cords and power strips, that kind of thing. And a box of tubes and fuses that I just can't break the habit of carrying, for nothing.

rct

Great Idea!!! no need to haul it in and out, but good to know it's "right outside that door" in an emergency.

NHTom

Interesting night at the gig. Half way through the night my amp made a fuzz noise and went quiet. A look showed that V6 tube was out it’s a 12at7 tube. My only spare...yes I know my fault...was a 12ax7 from V1 (normal channel pre amp) so I swapped it out to finish up.....sounds incredible. I can throw my OD pedals away. Wonderful breakup starting about 4 on the volume that just gets better as you turn it up.....I’m leaving it there.

Yeah, adjusting the gain via 12AX7, 5751, 12AT7, 12AU7 is a great (and oft used) trick. [thumbup]

Here's a handy chart comparing their gain values...

http://www.thetubestore.com/Gain-Factor

Funny...I too have an old jiffybag (its a big padded envelope thankyou) with old tubes and fuses in, down the back of my car seat....

Last year I stocked up on slo-blo amp fuses, got about 4 different values....

[thumbup]

That makes me think a bit. Since I haven't owned a tube amp since 1983 (Fender Twin Reverb), should I be concerned with keeping a few tubes on hand for my new Marshall DSL100HR head and Marshall DSL40CR combo? I would hate to be at a gig and have that happen and not have a replacement. I guess I should be doing some research on doing proper maintenance on a tube amp?

Marshall DSLs seem to eat tubes on me. Always have extras.

Thanks Surfpup that is a good vid. I got a second chassis that I’m rebuilding to hear the difference with all new caps in the amp. On the current one the only caps I did were in the filter section.lots to learn, fun fun.

Archived