Gibson Brands Forums

A youthful Brian Setzer...

pippy

Nothing Earth-shattering but I was enjoying listening to this precociously talented youth (as was) from a clip recorded way back then and thought I'd share the fun...

Pip.

msp_blink.gif

What a pity! I wonder why the clip won't play? Copyright reasons?

Try searching youtube for 'Stray Cat Strut Montreux 81' and see if that helps any.

If you like B. Setzer and the boys I do hope you get to see it; it's a fine performance.

Pip.

We saw them at the old Electric Factory in Philly when Strut was all over the MTV. He was focused, serious. Really a powerful guy behind the guitar, and blowing the vocs with such authority. Authentic and genuine were the two best words we had for him and them. Great band, I lost track of him only a year or so later.

rct

I'm disappointed the clip wouldn't play in 'your' country but I'm No Quitter ! ! !

What about this one?......msp_smile.gif......

Same guy; Mystery Train 'Unpluged' (SIC - and it's plugged!) from 1993?

Pip.

Sure, you just drive across the chunnel and get three bottles for 50 quid or some other weird amount of sterling. You can have one on the way back, wash it down with a bottle of Dame when you get home. GOD I hate the English.

rct

...GOD I hate the English...

A stroke of luck for me in that case being a Scot.

msp_biggrin.gif

Sadly we haven't had the Dame for quite a while now but we DO have a really nice Meursault put aside for an impending visit to these shores from our good friends who live in Montclair, N.J. Come to think of it you probably have them as your neighbours! As for the reds? Haven't yet decided on Puillac, Pomerol, St Estephe, St Julien, Margaux....

Chunnel is a great thing!...LOL!

Anyhoo! Back to Brian Setzer for me!

Pip.

Being Scottish I'm quite used to the sensation - although, to be fair, usually it's our national football team which is at the receiving end of any bashing being meted out........

msp_laugh.gif

Pip.

Dave Edmunds' Rockpile are one of the greatest 'unappreciated' bands I know. Their lead guitarist, Billy Bremner, was a man of utmost taste, melody and brevity.

For anyone new to these names I'd recommend Rockpile's "Repeat When Necessary" as an album without a single dud cut.

Hardly a week goes by without me playing it - either to play along with or just for the joy it brings. It's probably in my list of top ten "Most Played Albums".

It also has the phenomenal Albert Lee playing on "Sweet Little Lisa" which is worth the sticker price on its own.

Here's a couple of clips. First the studio track but then - and far more illuminating - is footage of when A. Lee was laying down his cut. The body language of all musicians concerned (and even a visiting Phil Lynott) is priceless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5sEnia7Bk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Rx-zaBjow

Pip.

Dave Edmunds' Rockpile are one of the greatest 'unappreciated' bands I know. Their lead guitarist, Billy Bremner, was a man of utmost taste, melody and brevity.

For anyone new to these names I'd recommend Rockpile's "Repeat When Necessary" as an album without a single dud cut.

Hardly a week goes by without me playing it - either to play along with or just for the joy it brings. It's probably in my list of top ten "Most Played Albums".

It also has the phenomenal Albert Lee playing on "Sweet Little Lisa" which is worth the sticker price on its own.

Here's a couple of clips. First the studio track but then - and far more illuminating - is footage of when A. Lee was laying down his cut. The body language of all musicians concerned (and even a visiting Phil Lynott) is priceless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5sEnia7Bk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Rx-zaBjow

Pip.

Agreed...Nick Lowe was in Rockpile too, right?

Agreed...Nick Lowe was in Rockpile too, right?

Yes. IIRC they hatched quite an interesting plan...

Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe were both working on their own albums at the same time. They booked - and shared - studio time so that when one was editing/mastering etc. some tracks the other was recording some of theirs. In this fashion they used their studio-time in a very economically sound manner! Each played on the other's album. I think I'm right in saying the aforementioned Billy Bremner played guitar for both but I haven't checked that out so might well be mistaken.

Pip.

I still have 'Repeat When Necessary', the only D Edmunds LP I have. He also is a great guitarist. [thumbup] [thumbup]

And - absolutely true - seeing the Albert Lee 'Sweet Little Lisa' clip on TV in....197? was what made me order an old Tele from Westwood Music in L.A. and have it sent to Gene Parsons for the Stringbender modification. Though I later found out Albert is playing an Evans stringbender.

I never tried to play the 'Lisa' solo though once upon a time I could do the 'Country Boy' intro (Albert's 'Hiding' LP) and some of those licks. Love it when he plays the 9th chord and uses the bender to get the 13th.

Brian Setzer is a tremendous player; there are several Brian Setzer Orchestra CDs which is him with a big swing band, the live CDs probably best bang for the buck. Also see his barnstorming appearance on Jeff Beck's tribute to Les Paul DVD.

Many thanks for posting!

Archived