Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson - History Tidbit

uncle fester

Folks,

I'm reading the Gibson Fabulous Flat Top book, and taking a bunch of cool things away. This might be old stuff to most of you, but unless there are objections, when I find a different something interesting, I'll post the odd one here. The first thing making an impression was a comparison of Martin and Gibson guitars. Both stated as awesome, but a Martin was likened to a Mercedes where the Gibson to American cars, but I'm going to switch it up and say Italian guitars.

The Martins were likened to Mercedes, consistently phenomenal, one as good as the next, and very similar. If you got a D something or other, you got a damn nice D something or other. A testament to the manufacturing processes managed in the early days, and the designers who set the foundation for those processes.

Gibsons were likened to American cars, but I'm going to say Italian - more suited in my opinion. Awesome cars, but could be quirky. But tune it right, and ohhhh there's nothing like it. The story that really got my mind was the tuning process for some of the early scallop braced guitars. They started with the scallop bracing, but once it was attached to the top, and sound testing could be complete, additional hand scalloping would be done by the luthier to fine tune the instrument - making it a quirky (less repeatable) but awesome thing!

This was a story of the early days, not sure how it's represented of today - but I really liked it, and hoping folks find it interesting.

(Note - with the exception of saying Italian vs American car, this is a stated story from what I believe to be a reputable source, not my opinion... so if it's another boat I've missed, I apologize. I more than welcome feedback and discussion, always looking to be enlightened)

My J45 is similar to a Lambo :)

Rgds - billroy

In comparing the historical flattop production of Gibson & Martin, an important additional bit of perspective should include the fact that Gibson also produced mandolins, banjos, archtops, and electrics of the highest quality - all in Kalamazoo.

Martin's forays into those areas were not nearly as successful, so essentially, they ended up with more of a pinpoint focus on flattops.

In comparing the historical flattop production of Gibson & Martin, an important additional bit of perspective should include the fact that Gibson also produced mandolins, banjos, archtops, and electrics of the highest quality - all in Kalamazoo.

And, those F5 Loar's are some of the most valuable and sought after instruments on the Planet.

The banjers were pretty slick, too.

You are reading a wonderful book. Keep it coming. I'll tell you a story about a warm summer afternoon. Eldon Whitford and his pal Mike along with Duluthdan and Powder were sitting in my back yard talking guitars. Mike was buying some wood from my stash as he is a mandolin builder.

We were sitting in the shade of my 1951 Willys truck. My 1943 banner 45 is my best guitar and it would be compared to the workhorse Willys. How lucky to be in such fine company. Eldon signed books at the "Homecoming" and renewed old friendships. What a good person. Dan got a signed book and a photo with Eldon. Powder just sat in the shade. She is a peach. Dan has friends in Bozeman and I hope he comes back soon. He better not try to come back without Powder.

I'm not to sure that Eldon will be back anytime soon but it was a good time and we all thank him for that. The book is a treasure and the result of a ton of work. Eldon spent a lot of time in Bozeman and his friendship with Ren Ferguson is very evident in the Montana portion of the book. If anyone wants a signed copy of the paperback version of the first book PM me. I know---I know-- shameless self promotion for sure.

Only a Gibson is good enough.

Hogeye

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the car imagery stuff. Reminds me of those old Triumph motorcycle ads called "The Bike Rider" back when they were struggling to keep afloat. One page showed a guy, clean shaven with a nice haircut and a new brown leather jacket sitting astride some MIJ Bike. The next page had the same guy with a couple of weeks of stubble on his face, unkempt hair, and a beat up old black leather jacked sitting on a Triumph.

both were like chevy or ford, built to be used by regular folks

Yeah they were! That's a huge point made in the book, the # in the name actually referred to the market price for a guitar, offering things like the Jumbo 35 to try and make them more attainable during the depression era (opposed to the $60 for a Jumbo, without the case...).

You are reading a wonderful book. Keep it coming. I'll tell you a story about a warm summer afternoon. Eldon Whitford and his pal Mike along with Duluthdan and Powder were sitting in my back yard talking guitars. Mike was buying some wood from my stash as he is a mandolin builder.

We were sitting in the shade of my 1951 Willys truck. My 1943 banner 45 is my best guitar and it would be compared to the workhorse Willys. How lucky to be in such fine company. Eldon signed books at the "Homecoming" and renewed old friendships. What a good person. Dan got a signed book and a photo with Eldon. Powder just sat in the shade. She is a peach. Dan has friends in Bozeman and I hope he comes back soon. He better not try to come back without Powder.

I'm not to sure that Eldon will be back anytime soon but it was a good time and we all thank him for that. The book is a treasure and the result of a ton of work. Eldon spent a lot of time in Bozeman and his friendship with Ren Ferguson is very evident in the Montana portion of the book. If anyone wants a signed copy of the paperback version of the first book PM me. I know---I know-- shameless self promotion for sure.

Only a Gibson is good enough.

Hogeye

[thumbup]

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the car imagery stuff. Reminds me of those old Triumph motorcycle ads called "The Bike Rider" back when they were struggling to keep afloat. One page showed a guy, clean shaven with a nice haircut and a new brown leather jacket sitting astride some MIJ Bike. The next page had the same guy with a couple of weeks of stubble on his face, unkempt hair, and a beat up old black leather jacked sitting on a Triumph.

Was just trying to say both are quality guitars, Martin maybe more consistent, but Gibson with a high level of individual tuning - or that was a take away I had.

The car reference was to incite the masses and get some replies :) Murph get's bonus points for referencing MOPAR.

My perspective is that American made Martins are the gold standard of guitars. Gibson’s acoustics are the alternative for folks who want a bit more adventure with equal quality. Taylor’s are yet a different variation. Originally Ford Model T was the standard, Chevrolets were the more adventurous alternative. Still kinda holds true, today.

Just my perspective.

Now if we were talking about electric guitars, some car paint colors were also originally used on guitars (or at least named such for marketing purposes for their similarities.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I got my J-50 Deluxe because it was the best guitar I could afford in 1974. That was long ago, but I think it cost a litte over $300 new at a shop in Bangor, Maine. From the beginning I suffered from an inferiority complex because I really wanted a Martin (like a couple friends had) but they were way too expensive for me. Hate to admit it, but I never quite got over this. In retrospect it was really just frustration with my own lack of abilities. I only played it on and off over the next 35+ years, spending more time with various electric guitars that came and went.

After retiring in 2011, I decided to finally get serious about guitar again and re-discovered the J-50. Then I noticed the Martin D-15M at a price I could actually afford. Played the hell out of that for a few years, happy to finally own a Martin. The J-50 deteriorated to the point where it couldn't be played, so I got it repaired and - wow, that finally brought it to life! It had never even been properly setup before, but now with the aged wood the sound really pulled me back into Gibson's world (and yes, I know all of complaints about Norlin... but it was still a Gibson).

I finally realized I was really a "Gibson guy" after all, and having "scratched my Martin itch" I never really looked back. The D-15M spends most of its life in the case. It's a nice enough guitar, and a good contrast to the Gibsons, but it just doesn't do much for me. Funny how these things happen. :)

After retiring in 2011, I decided to finally get serious about guitar again and re-discovered the J-50. . .

Well, that certainly explains the construction of that awesome outdoor venue you've created (yes, you could refresh our memory of it with a pic). Big damn jam at Boyd's(!)

Actually good to have a Norlin era J-45 Deluxe person here to testify that they're not all of what the negative internet hype makes them out to be. It would be nice to hear it. Is it short scale, or . . . ?

Thx Bill, for allowing a bit of straying from the OP

(yes, you could refresh our memory of it with a pic). Big damn jam at Boyd's(!)

Actually good to have a Norlin era J-45 Deluxe person here to testify that they're not all of what the negative internet hype makes them out to be. It would be nice to hear it. Is it short scale, or . . . ?

Thanks '62! Hate to hijack this thread, but....

little-stage-2018.jpg

Can't post any audio since my son in law has the guitar in New York. It's a 1974 J-50 Deluxe, nothing remarkable, you can find them for well under $1000.

1974-j50-deluxe.jpg

Things have not gone as planned this summer, my son in law lost his mother and his dad is in critical condition, so we couldn't do our video shoot at the little stage. Then I hurt my left hand, limiting my guitar practice but it's almost back to normal now. Hopefully we'll do the family event this fall. As for a Gibson Acoustic Jam at the little stage... maybe we'll do that someday. :)

Sorry to hear that reality has reared its ugly head, and that the stage is quiet now. Here’s to healing soon on all accounts.

That is a nicely aged top on the J-50. . .

Even if it did, I’m not so sure I would want my Gibson to sound like a choir of angels.

Ok- maybe once on a blue moon.

All I know is I have been having some very weird thoughts enter my head. I have started down a path where I will be losing a bunch of the old stuff and planning replace one of two of them with new/newish guitars. I already have one pre-War guitar sold and have another out there on the chopping block. Next in line - I am thinking the CF-100E. Not sure what I will be going after. When it comes to Gibson I keep thinking all I need is the 1942 J-50 (which is that once in a blue moon guitar) and 1961 B45-12. Sure not going to rule out a Jackson Browne Model 1 though. But I am starting to think in terms of maybe a John Walker Wise River or Kevin Kopp's take on the J-35. Might even totally take leave of my senses and snag a Collings C-10 or a Huss & Dalton something or the other. Strange Days have found us.

All I know is I have been having some very weird thoughts enter my head. I have started down a path where I will be losing a bunch of the old stuff and planning replace one of two of them with new/newish guitars. I already have one pre-War guitar sold and have another out there on the chopping block. Next in line - I am thinking the CF-100E. Not sure what I will be going after. When it comes to Gibson I keep thinking all I need is the 1942 J-50 (which is that once in a blue moon guitar) and 1961 B45-12. Sure not going to rule out a Jackson Browne Model 1 though. But I am starting to think in terms of maybe a John Walker Wise River or Kevin Kopp's take on the J-35. Might even totally take leave of my senses and snag a Collings C-10 or a Huss & Dalton something or the other. Strange Days have found us.

Does Sal know you’re selling the cf100?

Edit : just googled cf100 and got a load of results showing a Canadian fighter jet. So mind what you’re bidding on on eBay folks

Thanks '62! Hate to hijack this thread, but....

little-stage-2018.jpg

Can't post any audio since my son in law has the guitar in New York. It's a 1974 J-50 Deluxe, nothing remarkable, you can find them for well under $1000.

1974-j50-deluxe.jpg

Things have not gone as planned this summer, my son in law lost his mother and his dad is in critical condition, so we couldn't do our video shoot at the little stage. Then I hurt my left hand, limiting my guitar practice but it's almost back to normal now. Hopefully we'll do the family event this fall. As for a Gibson Acoustic Jam at the little stage... maybe we'll do that someday. :)

Really sorry things went a bit awry - I do hope for a quick recovery for you and peace of mind for all, and then a fun filled family festival this fall, that stage is crying to be used!

Archived