Gibson Brands Forums

2019 Gibson Lineup with detailed specs

Black Dog

A great summary of the new line-up. A lot to like, fewer models makes it less confusing. The prices that are available don't seem outrageous either. It seems the

new leadership at Gibson has things headed in the right direction. [thumbup] [thumbup]

One thing I'm not clear on yet is the weight relief in the 50s and 60s model Les Pauls. They say the "Modern LP" has the ultra modern weight relief, but not sure if the 50s and 60s are like the previous "traditional", there have been several different levels of weight relief in the past??

I haven't had a chance to look at all the models yet but it all looks pretty good to me so far.

I'm a LP guy so what I like most are the '50 and '60 Standards. It seems like these are a Gibson USA version of a reissue. The 2016 Joe Bonamassa Limited that I had was like a '60 tribute/reissue sort of thing and that was a FANTASTIC guitar. I wish I had kept it. If these are anything close they'll be great. PAFs, hand wired, traditional colors, sounds great to me.

A great summary of the new line-up. A lot to like, fewer models makes it less confusing. The prices that are available don't seem outrageous either. It seems the

new leadership at Gibson has things headed in the right direction. [thumbup] [thumbup]

One thing I'm not clear on yet is the weight relief in the 50s and 60s model Les Pauls. They say the "Modern LP" has the ultra modern weight relief, but not sure if the 50s and 60s are like the previous "traditional", there have been several different levels of weight relief in the past??

On the Gibson site, it says their new Standards, 50's and 60's, have no weight relief. Essentially, they're like the old Standards and the recent Traditionals. I'm gonna be in so much trouble.

The colour choice is very limited and no Classic. I don't like fat necks, so only one choice for me. Odd.

Why would you prefer a Classic to the 1960 Standard?......eusa_think.gif......What does the Classic offer that the new Standard doesn't? IMO if one is a Les Paul guy and like a slim neck (I am and I do) then the aforementioned offering is the only choice one really needs. In fact apart from green-key tuner buttons I can't think of anything it lacks.

Of course back in the 'Good Old Days' the choice was exactly that; a Standard in, effectively, one finish. 'If it ain't broke...'.

And Bourbon Burst and Iced Tea finishes are all anyone needs anyhow......msp_biggrin.gif......

I'm really liking the '61 SG Standard variants. 'Which vibrato shall I choose?' would be a fun problem to have to solve!

Pip.

Archived