Gibson Brands Forums

Weird 2019 J45 Standard?

Mswish

kksC2ks.jpgDYPexIV.jpgHello, new to the forum. 

Figured you guys could help me out.

I’m trying to sell a new 2019 Gibson J45 Standard but it’s not like other J45 standards I’ve seen in store. I’m noticing it now that interested buyers are pointing out the weird issues with mine over and over, and I’ve checked out many of the new 2019 J45s at other stores. All the ones I could find don’t have the year stamped into the back of the headstock. This one does. In addition, the serial (1xxx89xx) seems a little off to me. I don’t at all doubt it’s authenticity but it’s extremely difficult to sell as it is. I’m wondering if it’s just a weird one off anomaly of the newer 2019 Gibsons. I have attached pictures. Everything other than that says it’s legit, including the sound and weight of the guitar + case, vanilla smell of the finish, the immaculate binding and Gibson inlay, and smooth edges/wood figuring. It doesn’t have a label inside as well and never did, and didn’t have a warranty card in the case (thanks Guitar Center.)

That's a 2018 , the 1 and the 8 in the serial number say that . Was maybe purchased 2019 but made 2018
The pattern is as follows:
YDDDYRRR
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number

And I'm fairly certain that they have stopped stamping the back of the headstock in recent times 

Edited by blindboygrunt

You shouldn't need to worry about the serial number being a year different. I have a couple of recent Gibson acoustics that have a serial  number a year behind the model year, which is stamped in the headstock. (IE: 1xxx6xxx on a 2017 stamped guitar.)  I haven't seen J45 Std tuners like the ones on yours, though I have seen them on Custom Shop models. The burst finish looks brighter than a standard J45 Vintage Sunburst finish. More like a Sunset Burst. Could be the lighting in your pics, but maybe you got an upgraded model from GC and because it had no label they sold it as a Standard. I'd run the serial number by Gibson and see what they have to say...

Edited by TomPhx

The thing is this:

Cesar one of the new faces  at Gibson said that they were going to STOP putting the years on the back of the headstock  as of January NAMM 2019 because they believed that the guitars from one year to the next should be of the same quality .

Since your model has a 2018 serial number it has the 2019 still stamped into it. But no it’s not strange at all. The new Gibson management just made a conscious choice to STOP that (admittedly dumb) practice.

That’s all. You can explain that to any buyer you may have ... in fact I may be able to find a video of Cesar talking about this exact topic.

JC

I think Gibson should stop making up all these fake titles for management.  Chief Merchant Officer? How about Junior Lieutenant Soundhole Sweat Assistant Czar? or simply Second Sargent Crack Whore in Waiting? I'm talking to you Mark.

Edited by Holiday Hoser

8 hours ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Chief Merchant Officer? How about Junior Lieutenant Soundhole Sweat Assistant Czar? or simply Second Sargent Crack Whore in Waiting? 

Very good and inventive - a spring-well of creative lust'n'life.

Wonder if you could make a new Board-pseudonym for me, , , or just a replacement for my Winger-status seen under the avatar. 

Something with tulips,  bursts and bronze in it - plus a ring of vintage military glory would be appreciated. 

Edited by E-minor7

I bought a 2017 J45 in 2016. There is a 2017 stamp on the back of the headstock and the serial number (that's also on the back of the headstock) dates it a 2016, with matching serial number on the label visible through the sound hole. Gibson is/was releasing the following year's models early, similar to what automobile makers do. I also have a Fender that has a 2017 serial number on the back of the headstock, but the stamp at the heel (on the same neck) says 2018. Go figure.

I recall us discussing a few years back in this forum how Gibson starting selling next year’s models in the autumn of the present year...and, us drawing analogies to it as being the same thing auto manufacturers do, so no biggie.   

Regarding potential buyers claiming something is off on the mentioned guitar, it sounds to me more like they are just uninformed non-knowledgeable potential buyers.  Or, they are just trying to get you to lower the price by acting that way.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff