Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Gibson LG-1

Dreadfulnought

4 hours ago, Dreadfulnought said:

I saw this and wondered if anyone here who knows Gibson might comment on whether there are any red flags regarding this.  It is my birth year and it's tempting.  

https://reverb.com/item/26324142-gibson-lg-1-sunburst-1956

Steve 

Were you looking for a ladder braced guitar? That sound is not for everyone, and is many (myself included) consider it to be a less versatile sound than a cross braced guitar. 'Surprised CME did not mention the LG-1's ladder bracing in the Reverb ad, or the listing on their website.

1 hour ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Yea Somebody drilled a couple holes in it! RED FLAG

You're a funny guy. Needs more mic stands, too.

Actually, it looks like Gibson knobs that've been on there for years, and the case photo suggests the same. Combining that with the ladder bracing, this might've been made or modded to be a good live performance guitar. Anyone recognize the pickup?

Edited by 62burst

59 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Anyone recognize the pickup?

As mentioned in the text, it's a P-90, and it certainly does look like a typical Gibson P-90.  If the pickup is of the same vintage as the pot codes ('61), then it's got the potential to have first-rate tone.

But still, $2000 for an LG-1 seems pretty steep.  There certainly are a lot of very nice used Gibsons out there for that kind of money - and even some nice new ones! 

2 hours ago, bobouz said:

As mentioned in the text, it's a P-90, and it certainly does look like a typical Gibson P-90.  If the pickup is of the same vintage as the pot codes ('61), then it's got the potential to have first-rate tone.

But still, $2000 for an LG-1 seems pretty steep.  There certainly are a lot of very nice used Gibsons out there for that kind of money - and even some nice new ones! 

Bobiuz I messaged them and asked for more pics of the saddle and a sound sample. We'll see.  They may take less also.

Edited by Dreadfulnought

Looks to be in very good condition. Case too - worn spot where the knobs wear. Guitar must have been handled with care,  because that case would have been  torn up if it were used much over the past 60 odd years. Mine sat in a closet or under my bed for 50 years and doesn't look that good.  The ladder bracing provides a sound that is unique - in a good way. Unless you've heard it and want it - you'll be put off when you realize it doesn't sound like a J-45 or the usual suspects.  I play my old one every time I go visit it. ... err, I mean every time I go visit my son. 

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

Actually, it looks like Gibson knobs that've been on there for years, and the case photo suggests the same. Combining that with the ladder bracing, this might've been made or modded to be a good live performance guitar. Anyone recognize the pickup?

If they be the right Gibson knobs such as those which came off a 'late 1950s Les Paul or ES-335 they could be worth more than the guitar.   

6 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

If they be the right Gibson knobs such as those which came off a 'late 1950s Les Paul or ES-335 they could be worth more than the guitar.   

Lol- ‘sold a ‘36 Kalamazoo KG-32 in need of a neck reset… the purple interior with diamond on the case pocket door, was in absolutely beautiful condition. Pretty sure that case was worth more than the guitar.

Thanks, Bobouz...  didn’t see that “read more“ drop-down box on the reverb listing showing the P90 with “non-original electrics”. Still,  it could’ve very well gone back to Gibson for the upgrade.  And good of CME to date the pots, as well.

They just told me the guitar was only 3 days old on Reverb so they're not going to discount it.  I don't think birth year and p/u are worth 2k at this time for me according to what everybody's saying.  I see lots of LG-1's in the 1300-1500 range.  For all I know they follow this forum.  

I had a '51 for a while but sold it. I was looking for a birth year ('52) guitar and this one was a '51 model that was sold in '52 within a month of my birthday. bought from the original owner's family. It still had the receipt in the case. It had the Gibson thump with no sustain.  Some like that about the ladder bracing. Many like the ladder bracing when a pu is added. I find the small body x-bracing more to my liking but I seldom plug-in nowadays. Still looking for that great birth year guitar. I also recently had a '52 ES-150 but I didn't bond with it. I think it's going to take a J45, J185, J200, 000-28 or D28.

62ba25ed-2ef9-415a-94bd-2ac4d9c9188e_zps

Here's some of my small bodies. LG2/L1/L00/NLRWLC/CJ165RW.

E241EF3D-6C96-45D8-B5A2-11851C00E8DF_zps

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I had a '51 for a while but sold it. I was looking for a birth year ('52) guitar and this one was a '51 model that was sold in '52 within a month of my birthday. bought from the original owner's family. It still had the receipt in the case. It had the Gibson thump with no sustain.  Some like that about the ladder bracing. Many like the ladder bracing when a pu is added. I find the small body x-bracing more to my liking but I seldom plug-in nowadays. Still looking for that great birth year guitar. I also recently had a '52 ES-150 but I didn't bond with it. I think it's going to take a J45, J185, J200, 000-28 or D28.

62ba25ed-2ef9-415a-94bd-2ac4d9c9188e_zps

Here's some of my small bodies. LG2/L1/L00/NLRWLC/CJ165RW.

E241EF3D-6C96-45D8-B5A2-11851C00E8DF_zps

Those are sweet David.  I have a dred and a 000 and wanted a small body like the LG.  The other Gibson's I'd want are the Advanced Jumbo and the J45.   If I had a but more money I'd go for this one, but it's a little too much.