Gibson Brands Forums

SG AAA Carved Top

Tux

Definitely a nice guitar. I wonder if they´ll be doing some more SGs with that particular shape. Because I really like the shape but I´m not to much into curly maple. I´d prefer mahogany or ordinary maple. And maybe heritage cherry?

H-Bomb, what do you think about the horns on this one? A bit too much or just right?

Greetings

Kurt

What the hell is that? If I want a fru fru guitar with a carved top, unconventional control layouts, no neck binding, and some wild finish I'll buy a PRS. I see Gibson got the deeper bevels on this model but still neglects to right the '61 USA RI.

I've also had it with nashville bridges!!

I am very tempted to get one of these but I am also very cautious after what happened with the Dark Fire. You see, I saw a very similarly figured maple top shot on www.gibson.com/darkfire and fell in love with the look. Loved the feature set as well so I went ahead and ordered one. T

he guitar I received was nowhere near what was advertised in the flame-top department. When I and few others like me started making some noise on the forums, Gibson went ahead and changed the advertising photos on the web to less figured ones... Go figure. Bait & switch?

So I will not place a blind order on any Gibson product anymore. If I'm lucky I will see one in a guitar shop, fall in love and buy on impulse. Buyer beware!

MCK - I hear you. But in this case, the specs actually say:

"Body Wood: Carved AAA-grade maple top and mahogany back"

(never said that on the DF, just implied/lied)

From what I've seen, when Gibson actually specs it as AAA, the figuring is pretty even across individual specimens.

H-Bomb' date=' what do you think about the horns on this one? A bit too much or just right?[/quote']

I'm really not feeling the idea of a carved-top SG with a fat neck-joint...that's kinda' the whole reason I don't do traditional Les Pauls. I think the actual bevel placement on the HORNS is okay, maybe a little oddly-centered or something, and of course lacking any taper on the horn-tips kinda' makes it look odd to me (but you knew that was coming). I could do without the deep lower-bout bevel though---if the guitar was truly symmetrical that would work better for it. I dunno...obviously some people are gonna' like it, but to me it's one of those novelties that make me glad it's a limited run.

...i bet the new tribal V kix the **** outta the BC Rich Kerry King V's...no offense to kerry king of course

I do agree on the tribal V' date=' although to me it'd be more attractive without the fruity tribal markings and instead just a solid-color V (preferably with the '67 style pickguard...I dunno, they just look better with a 'guard to me), and trade off the black hardware for silver. I could see myself interested in one then.

Carved tops are for les pauls.

I obviously agree with you on that one, my man.

What the hell is that? If I want a fru fru guitar with a carved top' date=' unconventional control layouts, no neck binding, and some wild finish I'll buy a PRS. I see Gibson got the deeper bevels on this model but still neglects to right the '61 USA RI. [/quote']

Yeah, that was very close to my initial reaction about this one too.

I must stress, lest I be flamed, that I'm not totally against the short-run oddities like this and I am confident that they will sell just fine. I just wish that among the novelties and flavors of the week would also come some real attention to detail and quality with the limited number of REISSUES of SG's, not to mention the limited number of the selection of reissues itself.

H-Bomb

Archived