Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody know what this is?

MikeStr

This was my grandfather's guitar.  I have read about what I am supposed to find for serial numbers but this one seems really weird.  I am pretty sure he bought it at a pawn shop many years ago.  Any h help would be appreciated.

Mike.

Gibson1.jpg

Gibson2.jpg

14 hours ago, MikeStr said:

rct,

Thanks for the reply.  Out of curiosity what gives it away?

Mike.

It's not a give away.  It's more like nothing they ever made is even close to what that thing is, from end to end.  It doesn't fit the eye of the average guitar player looking at Gibsons, it doesn't fit inside what we know to be their guitars.  It's not subtle at all, that one is a whopper.  Took guts for someone to scrawl Gibson up there all wrong and stuff.

rct

Looks like one of the early Japan lawsuit guitars, same headstock as a Greco 950 Shrike below made by Teisco...

greco-950-aka-The-Shrike.jpg

Below a Maxitone Bruno with the same hardware, also made by Teisco, I think..

fchpn0w9outnh8nirfyq.jpg

These guitars have bolt-on necks, it wouldn't be very hard for them to build a few necks with a Gibson logo on the headstock and now it could be very collectable...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

,,,These guitars have bolt-on necks, it wouldn't be very hard for them to build a few necks with a Gibson logo on the headstock and now it could be very collectable...

If you collect firewood maybe.

rct

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2019 at 12:08 AM, MikeStr said:

rct,

Thanks for the reply.  Out of curiosity what gives it away?

Mike.

Headstock was never like that from Gibson

3 screw truss rod cover screams Chinese import

Bridge is wrong for a Gibson 

Bolt on neck and with steel neck plate screams Chinese import 

Pickups look like a clone of Gretsch Fulton pickup. 

And a whole lot more

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, MikeStr said:

This was my grandfather's guitar.  I have read about what I am supposed to find for serial numbers but this one seems really weird.  I am pretty sure he bought it at a pawn shop many years ago.  Any h help would be appreciated.

Mike.

Gibson1.jpg

I want to apologize for some of the responses left here, while trying to get information on your grandfathers guitar.

This instrument was manufactured in Japan with many different production labels on the headstock. Including Bruno, Univox, Greco, Airia, Silvertone and Lyle to name a few. These seem to have a common link to Teisco. It must have been a fairly decent sounding guitar with so many companies wanting to put their brand on it. Most of which used an attached emblem that could become detached, leaving a blank headstock that anyone could apply a Gibson like logo on it. These guitars seem to have a resale value starting at about 500 and go up from there depending on collectability of the exact model or brand..

The Gibson logo has several things wrong with it, first is that it shouldn't be there, also it looks more like someone spelled it G i b s e n, maybe...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 3

Hey - as above, it's a Japanese guitar - most likely Aria (they tended to have the inscription about truss rod on the neck plate more than other brands - even though made in same factory as Teisco, et al)  - It's not a Gibson, but that doesn't mean it can't be a cool playing, great sounding, attractive guitar - a Nissan Skyliner drives as well (or better) than any Dodge 😉

You've been left something really cool - learn to play it and enjoy it!