Gibson Brands Forums

15 minutes of Fame

daveinspain

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has had their 15 minutes of fame or any close brushes with it... So I'll start... I used to be Barry Whites sound engineer for his live shows... What a great experience, I learned a lot from that man. He was a genius, great to work with and warm hearted. Wish I could say I was his guitar player but I was quite happy mixing the sound for him at the time.

nice job :-k

I didn t have real fame, except when we did big gigs and had success, but I spent few years back a night with Kravitz and his bandmates backstge and later in their tour bus, having fun, smoking spleefs and drinking beers, it was really great.

Lenny signed an epiphone SG bigsby for me

:-k/

Closest I ever got was meeting Buddy Cage (Janis Joplin's guitar guy) at this dudes house was living up the street from my parents at the time, that was pretty kool. He was all coked up most of the time though, and there was another time when Joe Perry had his own group (Joe Perry Project) they were playing at a club locally, and me and a couple of friends went backstage and did shots with 'em after their show, that was pretty kool too. And Terrible Teddy gave me a thumbs up at an arena show once, does that count?

6 or 7 years ago, i was on a recording band here on ecuador, we where everywhere, newspaper, tv, magazines, radios... then the usual happened (and with the best timing), the singer got married and we never saw him again (actually we found out later that for 3 months he told his wife he was going to rehearsals with us 2 or 3 times a week, while he really was with another chick... what an ***, the wife obviously hated us, until she noticed we werent on tv anymore, or on the radio...)

After that i just lost interest in playing gigs and staying awake till 4 o clock in bars full of smoke (i have serious throat problems since i was a child so i prefer smoke free places).

Since then i decided the best way to keep doing what i like, but in a safe environment, and with no danger of any costly equipment being damaged or stollen, was to have my recording studio and work there. Been on the papers and tv a couple of times representing artists recording there... but it isnt the same is it?

Can't say I had any brushes with fame as a performer.... eyyeeeewwwww.

The only marginal brushes are with the instruments themselves.

I briefly owned a '69 Tele Thinline previously owned by Narvel Felts. It was stored in the back seat of a green '76 Volare for 10 years. Bought it for $500 and sold it for $1300 a couple weeks later.

I owned a Hofner Beatle Bass previously owned by Marshall Crenshaw. He sold it on consignment in NYC and a friend bought it, then sold it to me. I think I bought it for $400 and sold it for the same amount.

I did some repairs on an early 50s Gibson ES-5 (not a Switchmaster) that belonged to one of the members of Bill Haley's Comets. That was in the mid 80s so it didn't really count, as Bill was long dead.

I gave David Lindley an old Goya.

My Hofner Committee archtop is on the cover of Helmuth Lemme's book on the history of German electric guitars.

*sigh*

No 15 minutes of fame here I guess, more like 72 seconds....

6 or 7 years ago, i was on a recording band here on ecuador, we where everywhere, newspaper, tv, magazines, radios... then the usual happened (and with the best timing), the singer got married and we never saw him again (actually we found out later that for 3 months he told his wife he was going to rehearsals with us 2 or 3 times a week, while he really was with another chick... what an ***, the wife obviously hated us, until she noticed we werent on tv anymore, or on the radio...)

you should have kicked both of their asses:) i would....

No fame or glory for me but a couple of months ago Guitar World Magazine published a letter I sent them...that made my month...just to see my name in there, nice pat in the back for my ego.

The other day my wife and I went to a small place here in Nashville, the band had a great guitar player he was a "special guest" not announced, it turned out to be Vince Gill...the dude can play...

I have had the pleasure of performing on my own as well as with some other acts , But sharing the stage with The Frank Hannon Band for our sound check had to be the topper for me , although I actualy missed my stage time due to an oversleep oversight, .

And have spent many a hour hanging and goofin with the guys in Tesla ... Greatest batch of people I have ever met .

waou, Tesla, I used to listen to them when I was younger.

r they still playing ? Convey my regards to them :-k

A friend of mine has lots of money and built a concert room on his house land, that can hold 200 people.

Then with his money he wanted to invite the band he used to listen when he was younger.

So we saw few private gigs like THe Yardbirds,Wishbone Ash, Pretty Things, Beverly Jo Scott... that was really enormous...

They are alive and well . New release this summer , Touring has be going very well selling out everywhere they go .

Still the best live band I've ever heard, check em, Still hittin hard and sounding great ...

The comedy group that i'm in, EL Privates, was a regular on the Red Peter's Comedy Show all last year on Sirius Satellite Radio, Howard 101. We finished #2 on the top 20 count down for "funniest song of 2007" with our song "Pet Problem". Howard Stern featured us on his show the second week of this February. It went really well and things are starting to go even better. You can listen to "Pet Problem" by clicking on my signature and selecting the song. CD sales and I-Tunes are really going well.

Well I've done sound (engineered) for Chuck Berry, Scott Stapp, Powerman 5000, Shaquille O'Neal, Charlie Daniels,

Donna Summer, Trisha Yearwood, Gary Puckett, Radney Foster, Peter Noone, Little Anthony and the Imperials,

Terry Bradshaw, Gary Coleman...the list goes on and on.

More than I care to remember. Does that count?

Of course it does.... Well done!! I engineered for the Police the very first time they played in the states... Was in a little rock club in Southern Florida call Fat Cats... I recorded it to... :-) I also produced the Village People on 4 songs for a B- movie, (B minus movie)

Well I've done sound (engineered) for Chuck Berry' date=' Scott Stapp, Powerman 5000, Shaquille O'Neal, Charlie Daniels,

Donna Summer, Trisha Yearwood, Gary Puckett, Radney Foster, Peter Noone, Little Anthony and the Imperials,

Terry Bradshaw, Gary Coleman...the list goes on and on.

More than I care to remember. Does that count?

[/quote']

heck yeah thats counts maybe not Gary Coleman

a sound check for Gary Coleman?????

Love all of the 15 minutes of fame. They trully are...and if you live to tell about it,

that's way cool!

My stuff is blues oriented so you know that means small smoke filled venues but

musically it was everything I wanted.

The 80s...A big band in New England, "Last Call for Blues"

One of the nights we weren't playin' at Paul's Mall, Boston

We stopped in to hang out w/ Muddy Waters. He told us we needed stagenames,

so he came up w/them. He chuckled about mine, said "I ain't gonna do nothin' w/

"Scag". Of course the others got cool names like "Flappy Pappy" & a bunch others.

That band was happenin'. Opening act for Tavares, The James Montgomery Band,

James Cotton Band and a few others...

The most cherished...Backstage with B.B.King in Salem, MA.

Our producer set it up.

When I finally get the photos of The '65 Firebird 12 String on this forum...

You'll see the real B.B. King signature right across the pickguard.

Every one of the 15 minutes of Fame is cool...

"Live to tell about it."

s/Vin

"selling out everywhere they go" yup sounds like tesla to me! lol just kidding couldnt resist, last action hero was a great song! if only youd hung out with the foo fighters, that wouldve been more appropriate, "Dave Grohl just cant help but sell out everywhere he goes these days!" Someones turnin in a grave somewhere!

right back to me box before somebody fills it with trinkets an puts it in their attic! (in fact you could just change the name and voila, recycling is fun!):D/

Well apart from meeting or hanging out with a few people, the closest we came musically was being offered a chance to tour for the USO. Non-musically, I have had a fair bit of media coverage and have two species of fossil reptiles named for me.

I've had some pretty good gigs and been on college radio of few times. My cousin is a great guitar player. He was married to Alison Krauss (just recorded with Robert Plant) and I jammed with her a christmas a while back. They are divorced now but he was discovered by Chet Atkins in a club in NYC a while back. He played in his band with him for a long time and was actually a pall bearer at his funeral. He's toured with Lyle Lovitt and Peter Frampton and is a REALLY AMAZING guitar player. His name is Pat Bergeson. He's my claim to fame.....just wish I got to jam with him more. He teaches me the coolest stuff that is so easy it's hard.

I'll have my real 15 minutes one day. I'll keep all of you posted =P

Archived