Gibson Brands Forums

I am not a Gibson Fan...

Aaron1061

never have been. Haven't bonded with any of their guitars ...but i was on a road trip with my wife this past weekend and happened to visit a GC in that particular city. While i was there, i tried out one of the new J-45 studios.. and i fell in love at first strum. I even tried the other j45s and none played or sounded nearly as good.

i went home, and the next morning my wife tells me we have to go back and get it. Look, i am not arguing with that. SO i packed up a few guitars i wasnt loving, to trade towards it and we were OFF. i ended up stopping my local GC to try their studio they had in stock and maybe save ourselves the trek, and there wasnt magic on it like the one i tried 3 hours away, so we made the drive.

I am so glad i stumbled upon this beauty. I had been looking for THE acoustic for a while and had been playing a cheapie in the meantime. this j45 is the best playing, sounding and looking acoustic ive ever had my hands on. better than any taylor or martin or takamine ive had. its bright, yet has some girth and growl. the bottom end is present but not overpowering. and the playability...wow.. and the walnut is absolutely stunning. and this is the first guitar ive not had to do anything through the PA for it to sound good.

I guess i am a gibson fan now.

img_20190825_175349-jpg.634534

img_20190825_213907-jpg.634613

Edited by Aaron1061
  • Like 1

Congrats  and welcome to the forum...I was already a Gibson aoustic fan when the studio's came out but a similiar thing happened to me....once I bought the burst studio I liked it so much I bougt the natural 45    studio and the studio Lg -00 studio and the g45 studio and love them all...they changed what I play of other guitars prompting me toTaylor v class I had for like two months.  Once I played the first one everything changed for what I expect  a guitar to be.   

3 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Congrats  and welcome to the forum...I was already a Gibson aoustic fan when the studio's came out but a similiar thing happened to me....once I bought the burst studio I liked it so much I bougt the natural 45    studio and the studio Lg -00 studio and the g45 studio and love them all...they changed what I play of other guitars prompting me toTaylor v class I had for like two months.  Once I played the first one everything changed for what I expect  a guitar to be.   

That is a major Gibson acoustic binge:

1. J-45 Studio, Sunburst (?)
  2. J-45 Studio, Natural
  3. LG-00 (never heard of it) Studio
  4. G-45 Studio

Usually this forum only hears Kelly Campbell comments about nice performances, now this. From a sheer design standpoint, the Studio series would seem to take the strong classic Gibson slope mids and bump it up a notch. Any observations from your experience with these slim slopes would be interesting to hear.

14 hours ago, 62burst said:

That is a major Gibson acoustic binge:

1. J-45 Studio, Sunburst (?)
  2. J-45 Studio, Natural
  3. LG-00 (never heard of it) Studio
  4. G-45 Studio

Usually this forum only hears Kelly Campbell comments about nice performances, now this. From a sheer design standpoint, the Studio series would seem to take the strong classic Gibson slope mids and bump it up a notch. Any observations from your experience with these slim slopes would be interesting to hear.

Yes  I did go on a bit of a binge...but hey if you like something and can do it why not?  My wife was thrilled I am sure but she never said anything.  Also in that time period I also picked up a new D-28..I always knew I wanted one and figured that I might as well get it all done.

znyway the design difference on the Studio's does make it a bit more comfortable that is for sure. I am appreciative of that fact due to shoulder issues over the years.  I also really was impressed with set up on all of them as they were much more consistant on set up.  I love the walnut tone woods and of course thay are all walnut.  love the woodiness of  the tone.    As  Sal asked when I posted after the first purchase concerning the low end loss due to a thinner body, there is some loss of low end but in my mind not that much.

When my wife gets feeling a little better I will have her take my picture with all the new ones... She just had surgery to remove cancer so it mght be a couple days.   What is the site using now for uploading pic's?  Been a long time since I posted any pictures...not usually one that has to put all new purchases on here but I am beginning to think I better just for integrity purposes ..LOL   Anyway  Love all the newer models that I have played.

Sorry I also had had a few drinks and totally screwed up my post of description of guitars..see if I can straighten this out...I said sunburst as I tend to use that as a generic term  but the J45 studio is a walnut burst. The other mistake was LG-00   it is a L-00 studio walnut burst as well.  Sorry getting too old to drink and post... 

Edited by kelly campbell

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

When my wife gets feeling a little better I will have her take my picture with all the new ones... She just had surgery to remove cancer so it mght be a couple days.   What is the site using now for uploading pic's?  Been a long time since I posted any pictures...not usually one that has to put all new purchases on here but I am beginning to think I better just for integrity purposes ..LOL   Anyway  Love all the newer models that I have played.

You can upload to imgur.com - once uploaded, click on the photo, & use the BBCode button (which appears on the lower right) to copy & paste directly into your post.

Best wishes for your wife.

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

Sorry getting too old to drink and post... 

Nahh. . . that doesn't stop anyone 'round here.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:14 AM, Aaron1061 said:

never have been. Haven't bonded with any of their guitars ...but i was on a road trip with my wife this past weekend and happened to visit a GC in that particular city. While i was there, i tried out one of the new J-45 studios.. and i fell in love at first strum. I even tried the other j45s and none played or sounded nearly as good.

i went home, and the next morning my wife tells me we have to go back and get it. Look, i am not arguing with that. SO i packed up a few guitars i wasnt loving, to trade towards it and we were OFF. i ended up stopping my local GC to try their studio they had in stock and maybe save ourselves the trek, and there wasnt magic on it like the one i tried 3 hours away, so we made the drive.

I am so glad i stumbled upon this beauty. I had been looking for THE acoustic for a while and had been playing a cheapie in the meantime. this j45 is the best playing, sounding and looking acoustic ive ever had my hands on. better than any taylor or martin or takamine ive had. its bright, yet has some girth and growl. the bottom end is present but not overpowering. and the playability...wow.. and the walnut is absolutely stunning. and this is the first guitar ive not had to do anything through the PA for it to sound good.

I guess i am a gibson fan now.

img_20190825_175349-jpg.634534

img_20190825_213907-jpg.634613

Love that flame figuring on the walnut bridge

Sorry for only one image and it is not great but it is what it was....One of the reasons I do not generally post pic's to just prove I bought something, I dont have the patience for screwing around with it and I dont have good tech skills or camera etc.  anyway there they are.  I did not include any of the three Martins I own or the J45 standard or Hummingbird or LG-2  American Eagle.

4 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

here we go trying to post a couple pics of newer Gibson's

CWbj00r.jpg

You're going to need more wall.

Surely all of the Studio models will be easier on your shoulder, but that little sunburst L-00 just might become your most often picked up picker.

Good of you to voluntarily jump through the hoops to post a photo- once your lady is feeling better, maybe she'll show you how it's done ; ).

5 hours ago, TheLeadFlatpick said:

Love that flame figuring on the walnut bridge

Good eye- didn't notice that unique grain effect on the bridge. Did, however, notice quite a bit of nice silking in the Sitka top, though. Congrats Aaron, for making that considerable road trip back to get a special one.

Edited by 62burst

Congrats on joining the club. As you discovered, Gibsons can be very idiosyncratic guitars. But when you find a good one, it's Katy bar the door.

If I may make a couple of humble suggestions.... At some point, switch out the nut and saddle for ones made of bone. The ones you have are Tusq. Some folks like Tusq just fine, but I think you'll find a nut a saddle cut to your playing style will be an improvement.

Secondly, ditch the Grovers. Get some three-on-a-plate Golden Age Restoration tuners with cream plastic buttons. They work great and their aesthetics are more in keeping with your J-45's legacy. Or splurge and get Waverlys. Grovers just look ugly on a J-45. (If you switch, you'll need some conversion bushings.)

Above all, play the heck out of it.

Edited by dhanners623

Wow, Aaron- nice photos. . . looks like you're already into the guitar just as it is, and by your description in the OP, might not be in any hurry to change anything in the setup too quickly. But if you ever do, the tuner swap Mr Hanners suggested would return benefits on a couple of levels.

Again, Congrats. Looking forward to trying one of Studio J-45's out- of course, a little sound clip would always be appreciated, too. ; )