Gibson Brands Forums

I hate Chinese guitars

Navy Vet.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Sorry for going off at a tangent for a second...

I might be wrong but unless things changed sometime in the last four decades G&L stands (stood?) for George (Fullerton) & Leo (Fender) - the company formed by those two gentlemen after Leo Fender split from his Music Man outfit. George Fullerton was one of the employees hired by Fender in the late '40s and AFAICR some of his ideas were instrumental (Ho!) in the design of the Broadcaster/Telecaster design so we owe him a debt of gratitude.

OK; History lesson over. Time to get back to the thread!

Pip.

lolz

I love history.

Leo wanted to make a new guitar, what became the Strat.  He said "they really like the 2 pickups in a Telecaster, they are going to love the FOUR pickups in this one!"  He was slowly doubling from Precision and Esquire to Tele to the next one.  Funny guy.

Cooler head, George, prevailed, and the Strat was a 3 pickup guitar.

rct

Edited by rct
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MichaelT said:

I'm going to guess this is about "Chinese" counterfeit Gibsons, which seems to be all the rage on the internet. People have them or hate them. I hate when people get duped into buying a counterfeit guitar.

Exactly. I have a friend who couldn't wait to show me his new Les Paul. So he brings it by and I have an amp set up for him,  I have "Smokey"  my Les Jr.  out and cabled up. He unpacks his case and I ask to have a look at it. Within 10 seconds my heart sank. This was a bogus guitar, a Chinese copy.  My friend was devastated,

Edited by Navy Vet.

8 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

Exactly. I have a friend who couldn't wait to show me his new Les Paul. So he brings it by and I have an amp set up for him,  I have "Smokey"  my Les Jr.  out and cabled up. He unpacks his case and I ask to have a look at it. Within 10 seconds my heart sank. This was a bogus guitar, a Chinese copy.  My friend was devastated,

If he paid the usual China price for his copy around $300 he could have a playable sudo LP. But if he paid the Gibson price for it, he should get his money back or go to court...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

If he paid the usual China price for his copy around $300 he could have a playable sudo LP. But if he paid the Gibson price for it, he should get his money back or go to court...

He paid 900.00 for what he believed was a 2008 Les Standard. I have never known  Gibson to put Indian Laurel fret boards on their necks and use a 10mm Allen  wrench to adjust the truss rod.   

53 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The forum forum for G&L guitars is at Guitars by Leo       🙂...

Ah!

Sorry for stating what was probably the Patently Obvious and thanks for your explanation - so please excuse my misunderstanding of your abbreviation, mihcmac! I didn't know about the G&L forum. The stuff I knew about G&L goes back to the days when I bought a Music Man amp (1980) and then a Music Man Guitar (1982) and researched the history of MM as best as I could in the press of the day. By that time, of course, Leo had already left MM and set up G&L.

Superb products - especially the amps - but good as it was I never really bonded with the MM Sabre II which I had. Didn't like the active circuitry one little bit.

Pip.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

He paid 900.00 for what he believed was a 2008 Les Standard. I have never known  Gibson to put Indian Laurel fret boards on their necks and use a 10mm Allen  wrench to adjust the truss rod.   

That is unfortunate that your friend was duped.  My question though is... where I get a 2008 LP Standard for $900 that is in good condition?  Most of these are easily around $1500 give or take, so that should have been a red flag.  Oh well, we live and we learn.  Sucks that we have to learn the hard way at times, but I'll bet the same mistake won't be made again.  I too am not a fan of the imposter China Gibsons/Fenders.  They are genuine POS.  Unless you have the necessary luthier knowledge and tools to perform fret levels, nut slots, electronics knowledge - just a bunch of specialty tools, because you don't know what you're going to get or what quality it will be in - just save your money and time and buy an "authentic" (haha) guitar.  That's my advice.  Again, know you didn't fall for the trap, but want to contribute my sentiment to the scandalous, infringing Chinese business practices that get their crap across our borders.  Not that I particularly care about what moneys Gibson/Fender lose out on, but rather so I don't have to run into dealing with imposters selling for "Gibson/Fender" prices.  I mean, I know better by now how to spot a fake for the most part, but you never know how good a copy can be as I do make a lot of used purchases. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

That is unfortunate that your friend was duped.  My question though is... where I get a 2008 LP Standard for $900 that is in good condition?  Most of these are easily around $1500 give or take, so that should have been a red flag.  Oh well, we live and we learn.  Sucks that we have to learn the hard way at times, but I'll bet the same mistake won't be made again.  I too am not a fan of the imposter China Gibsons/Fenders.  They are genuine POS.  Unless you have the necessary luthier knowledge and tools to perform fret levels, nut slots, electronics knowledge - just a bunch of specialty tools, because you don't know what you're going to get or what quality it will be in - just save your money and time and buy an "authentic" (haha) guitar.  That's my advice.  Again, know you didn't fall for the trap, but want to contribute my sentiment to the scandalous, infringing Chinese business practices that get their crap across our borders.  Not that I particularly care about what moneys Gibson/Fender lose out on, but rather so I don't have to run into dealing with imposters selling for "Gibson/Fender" prices.  I mean, I know better by now how to spot a fake for the most part, but you never know how good a copy can be as I do make a lot of used purchases. 

I wont buy any guitars anymore off the web. Too easy to pass off a bogus guitar as legit. Telecasters are the worst. Too easy to advertise one as a Fullerton pre CBS as the real deal and they aren't.  Carters in Nashville is about the only place I trust. 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, mihcmac said:

I recently bought a G&L (Guitars by Leo) ASAT Junior II a Tele style with P90's made in Indonesia. Its a really well built nice playing guitar, the only thing I didn't take into account was the weight of a solid mahogany telecaster, I think its over 11lbs. No regrets though the price was really good for a brand new Tele from an authorized seller on eBay.

Its nice having another 25 1/2" neck that compliments my Blueshawks.. Its just so heavy..

That weight is a surprise to me. I thought teles had less body bulk than LPs. It's even heavier than my solid maple strat!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, pippy said:

Ah!

Sorry for stating what was probably the Patently Obvious and thanks for your explanation - so please excuse my misunderstanding of your abbreviation, mihcmac! I didn't know about the G&L forum. The stuff I knew about G&L goes back to the days when I bought a Music Man amp (1980) and then a Music Man Guitar (1982) and researched the history of MM as best as I could in the press of the day. By that time, of course, Leo had already left MM and set up G&L.

Superb products - especially the amps - but good as it was I never really bonded with the MM Sabre II which I had. Didn't like the active circuitry one little bit.

Pip.

No problemo. I do appreciate your technical accuracy..

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That weight is a surprise to me. I thought teles had less body bulk than LPs. It's even heavier than my solid maple strat!

Tele's are about the same thickness but the face is larger but normally made out of lighter woods like alder, ash, poplar, pine, basswood or what ever custom wood you wanted.

I am kind of a P90 freak, I had a desire to find a Tele with P90's and a Strat style tremolo. When I found the G&L Junior II with P90's but had a TonePros TOM bridge, I thought close enough. I did't even consider that its mahogany body would cause my old back problems. Even sitting its a lot for me to handle, but it plays so good....

KVALE3C.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1