Gibson Brands Forums

Still unconfirmed?

J-200 Koa

Not being an expert in these matters but merely a keen student, would someone care to summarise the "problems" with this guitar and why it may be concluded to be a fake?

I'll start - the shape of the headstock looks wrong, particularly near the nut.

I didn't post all the photos' date=' but if you copy and paste the entire original link you can still see the post on ebay.

headstock mustache

label

neck heel

body materials

lack of truss rod cover

[/quote']

Thanks LSG. Now I've looked at the photos, you cannot see the centre join of the back woods from the picture of the soundhole so therefore it must be a laminated back and therefore cannot be Gibson. Yes?

Thanks LSG. Now I've looked at the photos' date=' you cannot see the centre join of the back woods from the picture of the soundhole so therefore it must be a laminated back and therefore cannot be Gibson. Yes?[/quote']

Well where to begin:

No truss rod cover, maybe no truss rod.

The scallop on the top of the hesdtock is wrong.

The interior label is wrong.

How difficult is it to copy the headstock of Gibson? H E double hockey sticks! I could do it! This looks like it was shaped by hand by someone who was told by someone who once saw a Gibson headstock in a photograph which they lost when they moved back to China.

The label SHOULD look like this:

e2231-6.png

Back in the 80s Steve M of Angela Instruments put out a catalog of used parts and some used guitars and it was a scream. He was selling a Gretsch Astro Jet and he called it "a copy of an SG as interpreted by Pakistani workmen with dull tools".

How difficult is it to copy the headstock of Gibson? H E double hockey sticks! I could do it! This looks like it was shaped by hand by someone who was told by someone who once saw a Gibson headstock in a photograph which they lost when they moved back to China.

The label SHOULD look like this:

e2231-6.png

Good one Drathbun. I'm beginning panic - I've rung Mrs AJ and left a message for her to read me the words on the label of my SWD, just in case. She's offered to give a clean while she's at it with some fab new bleach cleaner she bought today. She does love me after all!

Good one Drathbun. I'm beginning panic - I've rung Mrs AJ and left a message for her to read me the words on the label of my SWD' date=' just in case. She's offered to give a clean while she's at it with some fab new bleach cleaner she bought today. She does love me after all![/quote']

LMAO! Reminds me of a cleaning lady we had when I was a teen. My Dad came home one afternoon to find her standing on his brand new slate pool table with a vacuum cleaner vacuuming it saying "Table poolie! Table poolie!"

If nothing else... she was earnest!

I missed the lack of truss rod cover initially - schoolboy error!

Since my two primary acoustics are both Martin-style (one being a Martin), I tend to overlook the truss rod cover. My Gibson is the only one that has one, and it's still not in playable condition.

Archived