Gibson Brands Forums

Kazuyoshi Saito J 45 Ebony

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

Although this guitar is only available in Japan I think the related videos are worth watching for the fans of Bozeman guitars.

This first one is from Gibson TV w/ English subtitles:

This one is in Japanese only but shows Saito at Gibson Nashville and there’s moments where he plays the J 45 .

It seems Gibson has perfected the “torrification process” I played a baked J 200 at a Namm show a few years ago but wasn’t “wowed”. All the baked stuff I played at Namm 2020 plus the quality of sound coming from Saito’s guitar in the clips above has turned that around for me.

Too bad they didn’t make it available for North America  . It looks gorgeous.

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar
  • Like 1

Gibson had a nice black J-45 in their line up a couple of years ago.  The white p/g - had the retro 'Gibson' logo. I do not know if it had fake screws though. I like that idea. A lot. Of course, it was not terrified.  They also had 'Pelham Blue' at the time. I was tempted by that one.  Good to see  this type of music has a strong following in Japan. And that Gibson has made lasting inroads.  Artist seems to be very talented.  His signature guitar would certainly sell over here.  After all - the standard black ones did ! 

Somebody once asked Keef which guitars he thought sounded the best.  His answer was the black ones.  

What would make this guitar a standout for me though would to be to move the soundhole south and put a P90 at the end of the fingerboard extension.  Like that late-1960s Dove Gibson apparently made for Gram Parsons but with the black finish. 

This is last year’s model, literally!

Not for sale now, used maybe.

The new ‘Original’ lineup has a 60s J-45 in black with the white pickguard and err....titty logo. But round neck and skinny nut...

Keef is right, black guitars DO sound better! So where is the black SJ200 in the new Gibson lineup? And why doesn’t the new black L-00 at least have a firestripe guard? And why, why, why, is there no ‘Historic’ L-00? 

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

This is last year’s model, literally!

Not for sale now, used maybe.

The new ‘Original’ lineup has a 60s J-45 in black with the white pickguard and err....titty logo. But round neck and skinny nut...

Keef is right, black guitars DO sound better! So where is the black SJ200 in the new Gibson lineup? And why doesn’t the new black L-00 at least have a firestripe guard? And why, why, why, is there no ‘Historic’ L-00? 

BluesKing777.

The Saito J 45 has a thermally aged Sitka top ... I don’t think Gibson did a cooked top 60’s J 45 before this one ... So it will be different from any previous black J 45.
Even last year’s model. I don’t think they offered the guard with screws in it either.

Also this one has a belly down bridge while the other year models  are belly up.

As far as I could understand from being at the show the Original Series has some vintage touches but not all .So that would explain why the L 00 doesn’t have the fire stripe guard.   

JC

L-00 in black with no firestripe - more like they haven't thought of it yet...😁

Or they can't buy a firestripe guard in L-00 size? (some of the new Historics J45 style have firestripe though it runs the wrong direction.....)

Waterloo have managed to get the firestripe AND the WHITE tuxedo guard on their 14 fret AND 12 fret models. Perhaps Gibson doesn't want to compete with Collings/Waterloo for an authentic L-00 style guitar?

Just saying - I personally don't care and am a little bit glad i don't need to buy one!  I have the real 1937 Gibson L-0, the Blues King L-00 and 2 Waterloo WL-14..X braced and ladder braced....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Is he mentioning the interesting black insert at all - wood or tusk, , , probably the latter.

On 1/28/2020 at 3:06 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

He must be as they say "Big In Japan". Lived there for 2 years . Man I had fun. Didn't drive a car for 2 years. Took the train everywhere.

When was that - and did you see any Gibsons over there at the time, , , or other well known brands for that matter. 

Can you describe the acoustic scene'n'situation where you were. . 

"He must be as they say "Big In Japan". Lived there for 2 years . Man I had fun. Didn't drive a car for 2 years. Took the train everywhere.

.....I was stationed there from 89 - 91. I was not into guitars at the time. I was concerned with drinking and women, cause I was a sailor.

...No tat's I have a saying about that I can't post on the forum.

.....  All most want to discuss is how great a J-45 is, and nothing more"

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2020 at 12:06 AM, BluesKing777 said:

L-00 in black with no firestripe - more like they haven't thought of it yet...😁

Or they can't buy a firestripe guard in L-00 size? (some of the new Historics J45 style have firestripe though it runs the wrong direction.....)

Waterloo have managed to get the firestripe AND the WHITE tuxedo guard on their 14 fret AND 12 fret models. Perhaps Gibson doesn't want to compete with Collings/Waterloo for an authentic L-00 style guitar?

Just saying - I personally don't care and am a little bit glad i don't need to buy one!  I have the real 1937 Gibson L-0, the Blues King L-00 and 2 Waterloo WL-14..X braced and ladder braced....

BluesKing777.

You got my thinking that while I have never been a fan of solid color guitar tops there are two which I would snag.  One is an L00.  The other an Oscar Schmidt Gambler which Mike Hauver makes an incredible repro  version of.    

I think if Gibson felt they could compete with Collings at the price point they would.  But that would mean at the very least going with a different bracing carve which is something Gibson only has offered with the pricey Legend guitars.  But even Colllngs attempts to keep costs under control.  They no longer offer that Waterloo WLS Deluxe with the hand rubbed finish which is normally one heck of an upcharge. 

And for what it is worth, finding a well done firestripe pickguard these days is a hard row to hoe.  It is like it has become a lost art.  Here is what I am talking about - the pickguard on my Gibson-made Recording King mandolin.  

Recording-King-Mandolin-Pickguard-Detail

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

You got my thinking that while I have never been a fan of solid color guitar tops there are two which I would snag.  One is an L00.  The other an Oscar Schmidt Gambler which Mike Hauver makes an incredible repro  version of.    

I think if Gibson felt they could compete with Collings at the price point they would.  But that would mean at the very least going with a different bracing carve which is something Gibson only has offered with the pricey Legend guitars.  But even Colllngs attempts to keep costs under control.  They no longer offer that Waterloo WLS Deluxe with the hand rubbed finish which is normally one heck of an upcharge. 

And for what it is worth, finding a well done firestripe pickguard these days is a hard row to hoe.  It is like it has become a lost art.  Here is what I am talking about - the pickguard on my Gibson-made Recording King mandolin.  

Recording-King-Mandolin-Pickguard-Detail

Exactly, ZW!

My '37:

58Jhn6Rh.jpg

A 37 in black with fire!:

https://reverb.com/item/29892364-gibson-l-00-1937-black

And a Stella Gambler on Reverb.com (sold):

https://reverb.com/uk/item/20169-stella-the-gambler-1920s-black

BluesKing777.

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

"He must be as they say "Big In Japan". Lived there for 2 years . Man I had fun. Didn't drive a car for 2 years. Took the train everywhere.

.....I was stationed there from 89 - 91. I was not into guitars at the time. I was concerned with drinking and women, cause I was a sailor.

...No tat's I have a saying about that I can't post on the forum.

.....  All most want to discuss is how great a J-45 is, and nothing more"

I'm here all week. 

When you go to 1st page of the acoustic posts right now, 5 of the threads are about J-45's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper