Gibson Brands Forums

Shimmed My Saddle!

MorrisrownSal

Since I bought my J45-TV months back, I have had a few setup issues. First off when I got it, the saddle was too low, and the neck had way too much relief. I think the prior owner must have tried to lower the action, shaved the saddle too much, encountered buzzing, cranked the truss rod to compensate, as well as switch to medium strings (13s). My luthier straightened the neck to the proper relief, and installed a new saddle. It got me 90% where I needed to be, but I still had some minor buzzing on the first fret, on the B and high E.

Well, I remembered that I ordered a Colosi shim kit with veneer and ebony strips years ago. I think I gave the ebony strips to one of our forum members here, but still had the veneer. With a razor blade, I traced out and glued a thin shim to my saddle, and strung it up with new fresh strings yesterday. MAN I have this J45-TV dialed in! I am a very happy camper. I have a 3pm gig this coming Sunday at a nice pub, and am so tempted to take it. 

I probably won't though; I still want to try out my new J45 Studio - which is also set up great, and sporting a new Holter Pick Guard (2nd from the left). 

c66fmjxl.jpg

By the way, the LG-2 knockoff on the far left is a Farida OT22. I am bringing it down as a gift for my new neighbor down the Jersey Shore... Bob lives there year round, found out I played guitar, and we jammed a few weeks ago. It will be a nice step up (with a proper easy to play setup) from his twenty year old Yamaha. Then I will remove that wall hanger; I will be a Two Gibson One Martin man...

Happy President's Day.

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Since I bought my J45-TV months back, I have had a few setup issues. First off when I got it, the saddle was too low, and the neck had way too much relief. I think the prior owner must have tried to lower the action, shaved the saddle too much, encountered buzzing, cranked the truss rod to compensate, as well as switch to medium strings (13s). My luthier straightened the neck to the proper relief, and installed a new saddle. It got me 90% where I needed to be, but I still had some minor buzzing on the first fret, on the B and high E.

Well, I remembered that I ordered a Colosi shim kit with veneer and ebony strips years ago. I think I gave the ebony strips to one of our forum members here, but still had the veneer. With a razor blade, I traced out and glued a thin shim to my saddle, and strung it up with new fresh strings yesterday. MAN I have this J45-TV dialed in! I am a very happy camper. I have a 3pm gig this coming Sunday at a nice pub, and am so tempted to take it. 

I probably won't though; I still want to try out my new J45 Studio - which is also set up great, and sporting a new Holter Pick Guard (2nd from the left). 

c66fmjxl.jpg

By the way, the LG-2 knockoff on the far left is a Farida OT22. I am bringing it down as a gift for my new neighbor down the Jersey Shore... Bob lives there year round, found out I played guitar, and we jammed a few weeks ago. It will be a nice step up (with a proper easy to play setup) from his twenty year old Yamaha. Then I will remove that wall hanger; I will be a Two Gibson One Martin man...

Happy President's Day.

I own a D-15M. What is written on the fretboard? 

Such a satisfying feeling when things like that fall to place by one's own hand. 

That 45 must be something special, , , or maybe you have matured into bein' ready for the long run. 

But for for heavens sake NO ! - dont remove the hanger. Use it for straps and things, , , until that sublime square comes around. You haven't been investigating maple-fliers, have you. . 

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You haven't been investigating maple-fliers, have you. . 

Planting the maple seed, are we? 😉

Congrats on getting the '45 dialed in, Sal. Not only for the buzz(es) kill, but there is an optimal height over the soundhole the strings should have, and you are likely more in that sweet spot.