Gibson Brands Forums

Wireless system for J-45

alpha0815

Just got my first acoustic electric (J-45 Studio). Wondering what wireless transmitter will work best with it, in lieu of traditional cable to amp. I know it has the LR Baggs VTC pickup. I’ve read that some of the wireless systems aren’t made for “active pickups”. Not sure what that means, this is all new to me. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

10 hours ago, alpha0815 said:

Wondering what wireless transmitter will work best with it, in lieu of traditional cable to amp.

I got a cheap-o wireless system for something like $40.   Wow, this is going to be great!

Well, it wasn't.  I went back to the traditional cable to amp.  Big difference.

how much do you want to spend?

I have a few..  This one was 59 bucks, and believe it or not, it works great with all my guitars, acoustic and electric, even my mandolin.  I like this one b/c the receiver is also rechargeable and you don't need a wall wart to power it.  Charge life is about 3 hours.  It takes about 15/20 minutes for a full recharge. There are even cheaper ones similar to this available, as well as more expensive ones.

Guitaria Wireless

I also have 2 Line 6 G10s.  I wound up with 2, b/c the belt clip failed on my original one, and by the time I got around to ordering a new belt pack, LINE 6 had changed the pairing and tho old base would no long work with the new transmitter.    I keep one in my studio, (The one with the screwed up belt clip) and the other travels with me.   (I hate cables!)   These work great, but you'll want to put an elastic band, or hair tie over the battery door, since the clip can come undone at times, and the batteries just fall out.  (Not a great design, but over all a good wireless.  I use Energizer rechargeable AA btw.  I have 3 sets  two sets AAs are always charged and ready to go.

Line 6 G30

The also have the G10 which is like the Boss WL-20  There a bit on the bulky side tho..

Edited by kidblast

Bill,  I don't think so.   The other guitar player and bass player in my originals band also use wireless, there's no cross talk between our three systems.

we do not use wireless mics tho..  those are all 15~20 ft XLR cables.

the one thing I can say,  the Guitaria (2.4zGHZ) which is the same that WIFI travels.  Every now and then, when I'm in the same room as my wifi router, which is my home office, and a place where I occasionally do some song learning or practicing, the Guitaria will have momentary drops.  (very short, half a second).   My Line 6 G30, NEVER flakes out.  Those are rock solid.

Edited by kidblast

13 hours ago, kidblast said:

Bill,  I don't think so.   The other guitar player and bass player in my originals band also use wireless, there's no cross talk between our three systems.

we do not use wireless mics tho..  those are all 15~20 ft XLR cables.

the one thing I can say,  the Guitaria (2.4zGHZ) which is the same that WIFI travels.  Every now and then, when I'm in the same room as my wifi router, which is my home office, and a place where I occasionally do some song learning or practicing, the Guitaria will have momentary drops.  (very short, half a second).   My Line 6 G30, NEVER flakes out.  Those are rock solid.

Thanks much!  

I got these - if I recall they were about $100.  Work great, easy to recharge in about 15 minutes.  Sound quality is good.

F4qidVX.jpg 

Picture came out huge and grainy?  Anyway works with any guitar (electric/acoustic), no cables or body pack to deal with, just plug transmitter into the guitar jack, and receiver into the amp.  Range is longer than any stage I've played on, just a simple inexpensive workable solution to wireless guitar.

Edited by Twang Gang