Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan has a message

E-minor7

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Put me in whatever "category" you choose. That range of dates is really due to the amazing availability of all the bootleg recordings on the internet today. I made a tape of my (ex) Mother in Law's "Great White Wonder" album back in the early 70's (she was an old hippie who knew Ramblin' Jack Elliot and met a young Dylan at a party in the Village). Ihad some other tapes, but never heard things like the Finjan Club or Folksinger's Choice recordings (two of my favorites) until very recently. Later in the 70's and 80's, I had a number of his newer albums and enjoyed them at the time. They are still OK, but just don't do much for me today.

But the more recent stuff is painful to my ears. Seriously.... if that was some guy you'd never heard of instead of Dylan, would you still listen to it? 

Some of it yes - but a lot of the latest records I have to avoid. The track above however, I find very inspired, , , as if he got through to the main source. 

Even the greatest artist can sink in the swamp of skills and craftsmanship. Sometimes they sense it sometimes they don't. But when it happens - and no matter what awareness -  it means moving below the level they travelled on when becoming who they are, , , or were.  There has to be a third factor in the pic. The 1 with no name. 

Your insight in the early period is impressing. I had a friend who owned the Great White Wonder. Must say I recall the myth as bein' greater than the music. Ouuu, we were a group of guys who heard a lot of bootlegs and circulating tapes in the late 90s. There was a book called The Invisible Republic too, , , we felt like citizens there. . 

Stay bob'd

I think it's sheer genius. The lyric, alone, as a poem should win an award. Actually, that's what it is, a poem set to song. Amazing talent to write something like that, to be able to even come up with all of that. Especially and have it make sense. Love the very end where he says play this very song, lol. Vintage Bob. Soon as I heard it, I told my bud I bet this wins a grammy.

5 hours ago, livemusic said:

I think it's sheer genius. The lyric, alone, as a poem should win an award. Actually, that's what it is, a poem set to song. Amazing talent to write something like that, to be able to even come up with all of that. Especially and have it make sense. Love the very end where he says play this very song, lol. Vintage Bob. Soon as I heard it, I told my bud I bet this wins a grammy.

Agree with everything you say, , , and yes, noticed the outroline too ^

I never was much taken by the folk era Dylan, being someone who leaned more heavily towards '50s rock & the blues.  So of course where he came alive for me was Hwy 61 Revisited.  Still truly love that album.

Through all the ensuing years, there are so many scattered gems Dylan has left us.  Can't imagine that all of his work actually "works" for anyone, but it would be nearly impossible to not have connected with something along his path.  You like country?  Dylan wrote some of the best country songs I've ever heard for Nashville Skyline & it seemed to appear out of nowhere.  And even with his voice going bad, his incredible phrasing could still deliver very powerful stuff in the format of a song.  Things Have Changed comes to mind.  Then a few more years down the road I heard the album Modern Times, and was once again totally astonished at the ongoing quality of what Dylan was putting out - even with a wet noodle of a voice.

This song about JFK is just more of the same.  Can't say I'm crazy about it, but I sure do appreciate the work itself - and in that sense, it's just one more link in a very long & fruitful chain.  

• Like 1

Anyone who has been producing music for over 50 years isn't going to appeal to everyone, all the time. Heck, a third generation is being introduced to Dylan's music.

We all have our favorites, for sure. Thematically and stylistically, this new song is a throwback, even if the performance itself is not.

I can appreciate that.