Gibson Brands Forums

ZZ Top, That little ole band from Texas

jaxson50

5 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Oh you noticed that?  Like I said, she has been successful in at least 5 genres.  Clearly not even trying to be a country artist anymore.  I don't listen to it, but I respect the talent. 

If you played me 10 different female artists and I was blindfolded. I couldn't even guess which one is her. They are all a scoop on vanilla. Bland and boring. Unless you put chocolate sauce on it. I'd like to put chocolate sauce on her.

4 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yeah yuck - a singer/songwriter who has been successful in 5 genres. 

She has 10 Grammy Awards, 29 American Music Awards (most wins by an artist), 23 Billboard Music Awards (most wins by a female artist), seven Guinness World Records, 12 Country Music Association Awards including the prestigious Pinnacle award, eight Academy of Country Music Awards, one Brit Award, and one Emmy Award.

As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and was the youngest person included on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time in 2015.

Net worth estimates at 360 million (as of 2019). 

Ewwwwww what a jackalope. 

Yea, I know she is successful,  so are a lot of people I don't listen too. Bobby Brown, any rap star.

Taylor is incredibly talented,  started out strong as a young lady selling to other teenagers who ha e stuck with her,

She is not a country singer, Nashville is no longer a country music town, hasn't been for decades.  That's why Willie, and most of the stars of the late 70s and 80s left, for places like Austin, 

Many people have commercial success. Does that make there music good or listenable?

Zappa, no commercial potential. A real musician who makes TS look like a no talent a-ss clown.

She looks pretty holding her pink guitar and being a social justice warrior, but I'm not buying it or listening to it 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Zappa's would go on for days. He did rock, jazz, fusion, psych, orchestral, Doo Woop, and probably 15 others I'm leaving out.

I guess your a hard core Swifter.

Yeah insult a woman with a debilitating disease that's a legend. Taylor Swift isn't even qualified to plug in Linda's microphones.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I don't like playing "celebrity death match" with musicians.  But comparing her to the likes of Bobby Brown?  He is credited for writing or co-writing a total of 6 songs.  Here is TSs list of credits:

0–9
22 (Taylor Swift song)
A
Afterglow (Taylor Swift song)
All Too Well
All You Had to Do Was Stay
All You Had to Do Was Stay (Taylor Swift song)
The Archer (song)
B
Babe (Sugarland song)
Back to December
Bad Blood (Taylor Swift song)
Beautiful Eyes (song)
Beautiful Ghosts
Begin Again (Taylor Swift song)
The Best Day (Taylor Swift song)
Best Days of Your Life
Better Man (Little Big Town song)
Better than Revenge
Blank Space
Both of Us
Breathe (Taylor Swift song)
C
Call It What You Want (Taylor Swift song)
Change (Taylor Swift song)
Christmas Must Be Something More
Christmas Tree Farm
Christmases When You Were Mine
Clean (song)
Cold as You
Come Back... Be Here
Come In with the Rain
Cornelia Street (song)
Crazier (Taylor Swift song)
Cruel Summer (Taylor Swift song)
D
Dancing with Our Hands Tied
Daylight (Taylor Swift song)
Dear John (Taylor Swift song)
Death by a Thousand Cuts (song)
Delicate (Taylor Swift song)
Don't Blame Me (Taylor Swift song)
Dress (Taylor Swift song)
E
Enchanted (Taylor Swift song)
End Game (song)
Everything Has Changed
Eyes Open (song)
F
False God
Fearless (Taylor Swift song)
Fifteen (song)
Forever & Always (Taylor Swift song)
G
Getaway Car (Taylor Swift song)
Girl at Home
Gorgeous (Taylor Swift song)
H
Haunted (Taylor Swift song)
Hey Stephen
Holy Ground (Taylor Swift song)
How You Get the Girl
How You Get the Girl (Taylor Swift song)
I
I Almost Do
I Did Something Bad
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
I Forgot That You Existed
I Forgot That You Existed (Taylor Swift song)
I Heart ?
I Knew You Were Trouble
I Know Places (Taylor Swift song)
I Think He Knows
I Wish You Would (Taylor Swift song)
I'm Only Me When I'm with You
If This Was a Movie
Innocent (Taylor Swift song)
Invisible (Taylor Swift song)
It's Nice to Have a Friend
J
Jump then Fall
K
King of My Heart (Taylor Swift song)
L
Last Kiss (Taylor Swift song)
The Last Time (Taylor Swift song)
London Boy (song)
Long Live (song)
Look What You Made Me Do
Love Story (Taylor Swift song)
Lover (Taylor Swift song)
The Lucky One (Taylor Swift song)
M
The Man (Taylor Swift song)
Mary's Song (Oh My My My)
Me!
Mean (song)
Mine (Taylor Swift song)
Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince
The Moment I Knew
N
Never Grow Up (Taylor Swift song)
New Romantics (song)
New Year's Day (Taylor Swift song)
O
Only the Young (Taylor Swift song)
The Other Side of the Door (song)
Our Song (Taylor Swift song)
Ours (song)
Out of the Woods (song)
The Outside (song)
P
Paper Rings
A Perfectly Good Heart
Picture to Burn
A Place in This World
R
...Ready for It?
Red (Taylor Swift song)
Ronan (song)
S
Sad Beautiful Tragic
Safe & Sound (Taylor Swift song)
Shake It Off
Should've Said No
So It Goes...
Soon You'll Get Better
Sparks Fly (song)
Speak Now (song)
Starlight (Taylor Swift song)
State of Grace (Taylor Swift song)
Stay Beautiful (Taylor Swift song)
Stay Stay Stay
The Story of Us (song)
Style (Taylor Swift song)
Superman (Taylor Swift song)
Superstar (Taylor Swift song)
Sweeter than Fiction
T
Teardrops on My Guitar
Tell Me Why (Taylor Swift song)
This Is What You Came For
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (song)
This Love (Taylor Swift song)
Tied Together with a Smile
Tim McGraw (song)
TMZ (song)
Today Was a Fairytale
Treacherous (Taylor Swift song)
Two Is Better Than One
U
Untouchable (Taylor Swift song)
W
The Way I Loved You (Taylor Swift song)
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Welcome to New York (song)
White Horse (Taylor Swift song)
Wildest Dreams (Taylor Swift song)
Wonderland (Taylor Swift song)
Y
You Are in Love
You Belong with Me
You Need to Calm Down
You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home
You're Not Sorry

Just because you write a lot of songs doesn't mean $hit! 

I've written more than her. 

I have more respect for someone who has written one great song than someone who has written a thousand crappy ones.  It's quality. Not quantity. 

Edited by brad1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

No dude, it's a fact.  She has Parkinson's and can no longer sing.  That's why she disappeared.  She was fantastic.  Now she can't do it anymore.  

Just shut up and go fist your pud.

We as humans know that disease took her voice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

No dude, it's a fact.  She has Parkinson's and can no longer sing.  That's why she disappeared.  She was fantastic.  Now she can't do it anymore.  

Dude, everyone knows she has Parkinson's.  

Just get off my lawn.

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

No, you didn't.   She lost her voice.  It's a fact.  And you called me immature, insulting, disrespectful and ignorant for stating that fact.  

I'm going to the d-ick store tomorrow and I'm gonna buy you the family size bag and send them to you do you can eat them.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

I watched her on SNL I think this weekend. Nothing I would really listen too,but to each their own.

Mindless pop drivel is not your thing. Mine either. I'd go see her if she played naked. Front Row.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Back to ZZ top...  one of the biggest impressions that movie made on me was how much of a showman B Gibbons is....   seemed like he was always looking for a hook or gimmick.   It's probably the hooks and gimmicks is why I got to know them...  but it's just the raw party boy, have a good time talent that I love.  And 3 person bands rock.

I was lucky to hang around backstage when they were at Ettis Arena at the old Taj Mahal.  A lady I played the Blooz with was running lights so yeah, comped to hang around and even eat.

Anyway, his stack of...some weird Fender amp thingy and his big Pandora stick?  Remember that?  Had some magic combination of pedals he allegedly used for his legendary uber schweet Tone?  Remember that?  I think it was Pandora, but I can't remember.

Anyway, the stack of...somethings were all empty and one had an ashtray, some smokes, and a coffee in it.  His sound was done under the stage as lots do sometimes.  I don't think he even stepped on a pedal, someone else does it all for him.  

And anyway, I used to know the guy that did that stuff and also was one of their long time recording engineers.  He passed away quite some years ago now.

So, yeah.

rct

8 minutes ago, rct said:

I was lucky to hang around backstage when they were at Ettis Arena at the old Taj Mahal.  A lady I played the Blooz with was running lights so yeah, comped to hang around and even eat.

Anyway, his stack of...some weird Fender amp thingy and his big Pandora stick?  Remember that?  Had some magic combination of pedals he allegedly used for his legendary uber schweet Tone?  Remember that?  I think it was Pandora, but I can't remember.

Anyway, the stack of...somethings were all empty and one had an ashtray, some smokes, and a coffee in it.  His sound was done under the stage as lots do sometimes.  I don't think he even stepped on a pedal, someone else does it all for him.  

And anyway, I used to know the guy that did that stuff and also was one of their long time recording engineers.  He passed away quite some years ago now.

So, yeah.

rct

I saw them only once in '07 or so with Kenny Wayne Shepard, and Ted "The Mouth" Nugent. KWS was good.  Nuge doesn't shut up on stage, at least he played White Buffalo. ZZ were really good. They played Legs. I guess they had to.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I remember when The Black Crowes got thrown off the ZZ Top tour for saying their part of the show was "commerical free".   Yeah - they're sell-outs but I still like the music.  

The Crowes had a good one it two. Then repeat.

17 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Really going out on a limb with that one.  Would you say the Beatles are any good? 

No they suck. What did those guys ever do except make at least 5 of the absolute greatest albums ever( Rubber, Revolver, Pepper, The White Album and Abbey). The Beatles lead and everybody else followed. But I'm the only one on this forum who likes em. 

Go listen to Lover by TS and shut up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

42 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Wow.  Next you're going to tell me the Beach Boys had good vocals. 

6bd83b6a28b3bf7da31d10f6f4fe2e2c.jpg

I have several of their albums, but none of yours. Seen them once and Brian twice. Pet Sounds. What trash. That's called sarcasm.

You and JVI are the biggest trolls on here.  All you want to do is fight. Well bring it. Your just a faceless d-ouch.  It's about time for him to come back and argue about some useless c-rap.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper