Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard and TV

tru

Has anyone played a Standard since 2000 and thought it was better than a TV?

if you were forced to buy a Standard or a True Vintage (money not being an issue), which would you pick, and why?

(and yes, we all know about “the one that sounds best,” but this is hypothetical.

I would choose the beautiful Standard J-45. The cost difference can not be justified to me at all. I own a Standard 2015 J-45, and it is simply superb in every way. The specs on the different new and confusing multiple models of the J-45 guitars are simply, for me, too much to deal with. ...Vintage, True Vintage, New vintage, on and on. Neck sizes changed, baked tops added, bracing altered, exotic colors of blue and green, different tuners.  All claiming to make a guitar that has been great for decades , greater by spin and higher price. The Gibson J-45 Standard has been good enough for literally thousands of singers, professionsal performers, and guitar players the world over for decades.  It's definately good enough for me. I feel the same way about my 2013 Gibson Hummingbird Standard. Superb. And I've played them all. Good luck on your choice. They are all good guitars. But I do not feel you need to pay the highest price to get the very best Gibson.  And the J-45 Standard...well..it speaks for itself. Time tested, loved the world over. It's a fabulous guitar and the best bang for the buck too.! Or get one of the more expensive vintage models. What ever floats your boat! Good luck on your decision!

Edited by ALD323

A used True Vintage costs the same as a new Standard. I bought mine used.... in fairly excellent condition.  You also get the beige case...  which is expensive.

I have owned a few Standards. They don't sound to me as fine as my TV. However, I did have a J50 - standard really... and it was great. Equal if nor better than my TV.

By the way True Vintage has Advanced Bracing I think? The Standard does not. The spec differences are more than cosmetic, but you can definitely find a Standard that sounds better than a TV... 

Edited by Salfromchatham

Don't know if this still counts. It's 8 years old from when the Std. vs True Vintage really was happening. Probably hasn't changed. 

Another thing is that these 2 don't represent quality-difference - only sonic identity, , , which of course is a major theme.  You must listen'n'feel your way forward. Nothing else to do. 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had a Standard and now have a TV.  Sold the Standard because a guy offered me almost what I paid for it a dozen years before.  Got the TV in mint condition for what a new Standard cost.  Don’t know if one is any better than the other.  Both are great guitars.  I think my TV maybe has a little more volume than a Standard, but that’s just my view.  If the guy hadn’t offered to buy my Standard, I’d likely still have it.  Glad I found the J45TV.  It’s also a sweet instrument.

I think the variation between the TV/Vintage models and the standard models is the only thing, were Bozeman guitars are really different.

The TV/Vintage models are lighter build and its not just about a different top bracing. 

Therefore TV/Vintage models are lighter and react faster and more sensitive to your touch/ attack, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

I'd say try both and see what you like better.

I’ve had an original 1942 vintage, True Vintage, Legend, 1954 J50, Custom RW, two Standards, two Custom Shop Signature models.

The only one that stayed was the Legend. To me, it sounded better. 

17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Don't know if this still counts. It's 8 years old from when the Std. vs True Vintage really was happening. Probably hasn't changed. 

Another thing is that these 2 don't represent quality-difference - only sonic identity, , , which of course is a major theme.  You must listen'n'feel your way forward. Nothing else to do. 

The "vintage" top bracing is similar to the top bracing on my un-molested 1950 J-45.  On that one, the number 1 brace forward of the soundhole is essentially the same dimension as one of the tone bars would have been before being scalloped. The bridgeplate, however, is at least 25% narrower and maybe slightly closer to the soundhole. The end of the bridgeplate isn't even clipped by the tone bar.

It also has muslin glued over the X-brace joint, as does the same joint on the 1968 top pf my other 1950 J-45, even though the brace sectional profiles are different on that one.

It's a fascinating variable.

4 hours ago, j45nick said:

It's a fascinating variable.

Yes, the front or #1 brace is significantly thicker on the Standard. My 2 vintage 45s (1953 and 63) both have thin front braces - the 2010 Std. is bulky and robust. Ahaaa, , , we see a pattern here.

Apart from that, it's hard to be too scientific, especially when translating construction to tone.  Should the slightly drier TVs get their dryness from the front bar, , , hmmm, who knows. 

The factory people do ! , , , and it must be exciting to experiment with these nuances, , , and actually begin to master them. But then we are inside the deepest champers of the plant.  The holy hall of heart'n'soul, , , , , , , and brain. .