Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Dove authentic?

The end of the fretboard, the style of sunburst, and the bezel rings around the sound hole look off. 
Period-incorrect at the very least.
Even less convincing is the pick-guard. 

If you held a gun to my head and said, "Guess, NOW," I would say it's not an authentic Gibson Dove. 

:(

10 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I just Googled  "copy of Gibson Dove "  and look what came up,

https://www.dhgate.com/product/factory-wholesale-41-quot-cherry-red-dove/419073342.html

Even comes with an authentic 60s era cardboard case !     

The end of the fretboard - is a clumsy attempt to copy Gibson's volute.  But, I've never seen one on a Dove.  Pretty sneaky those Chinese.  

• Thanks 1

A  few years ago I visited a local pawn shop and spotted a Gibson LP  as I entered, of course I bolted over to see it, 

When I got close enough to see the details it was obviously not a real Gibson,  it had cheap looking "vine of life " inlays on the fretboard,  red flames over the black body.

It was priced at $600.00, with case, and the tag said original Gibson, I told the guy behind the counter it was a cheap Chinese knockoff,  he smiled and said " I know that, you know that,  but someone's going to go home with it thinking they bought a custom made Gibson LP " 

Shameful 

41 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

A  few years ago I visited a local pawn shop and spotted a Gibson LP  as I entered, of course I bolted over to see it, 

When I got close enough to see the details it was obviously not a real Gibson,  it had cheap looking "vine of life " inlays on the fretboard,  red flames over the black body.

It was priced at $600.00, with case, and the tag said original Gibson, I told the guy behind the counter it was a cheap Chinese knockoff,  he smiled and said " I know that, you know that,  but someone's going to go home with it thinking they bought a custom made Gibson LP " 

Shameful 

You should have punched him in the face.

1 hour ago, jaxson50 said:

Shameful 

this is the exact problem with counterfeits.   A--holes like this..