Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

He's Just Pretty Good


Sgt. Pepper
 Share

Recommended Posts

A very talented guy for sure.   One of my long running pals and keyboard player whom I've played in many bands with, was a huge FZ fan (Wait, see what I did there??) 

he was always  trying to pull me in,, just never happened.  not my cup o'  tea I guess

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, kidblast said:

A very talented guy for sure.   One of my long running pals and keyboard player whom I've played in many bands with, was a huge FZ fan (Wait, see what I did there??) 

he was always  trying to pull me in,, just never happened.  not my cup o'  tea I guess

 

I understand people not getting him. I saw what you did sneaky man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a Gibson logo and a nashville bridge...?

He had his own language on guitar.  I have a transcription of 'Rat Tomago' somewhere, great solo.

So how come you've gone all acoustic as you like this guy (and Rush and all the rest) so much........you had a beautiful LP.....:-k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

Had a Gibson logo and a nashville bridge...?

He had his own language on guitar.  I have a transcription of 'Rat Tomago' somewhere, great solo.

So how come you've gone all acoustic as you like this guy (and Rush and all the rest) so much........you had a beautiful LP.....:-k

Baby Snakes” Gibson SG. "The “Baby Snakes SG was Zappa's main guitar for the latter part of the Seventies. The guitar is not actually a Gibson but rather the creation of “a guy in Phoenix,” who made his way backstage and sold the guitar to Zappa for $500.

download.jpg.a49615a9f2bba1538108e925b675bf3f.jpg

Franks Roxy SG guitar was a Gibson, and modded to death.

Got sick of pedals, amps ect. I'd rather just tune and go. I have no issues playing an electric, I just no longer own them, except my Fender J bass.

Saw Frank 3 times in '84. Dweez twice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you watch the clip Frank does hammering on and pulling off. Who got credit for that. Was VH's first album even out in Oct on '76? I thought it was '78.

When I saw Dweez  for the first time. During banter in between songs, he said Eddie was the  first person to call the house after Frank died.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rct said:

I always thought he was pretty good, just didn't like him.  First tap/pull I ever saw was Forest Richard Betts, early 70's.  Eddie just tore theass out of it.

rct

I'm sure some blues guy must have done it a long time ago. Like I said I get not digging him. I don't get U2, or Jimmy Buffet, or T-Rex and don't get me started on Garth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm sure some blues guy must have done it a long time ago. Like I said I get not digging him. I don't get U2, or Jimmy Buffet, or T-Rex and don't get me started on Garth.

 

But all of them, Garth included, are really good at what they do.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rct said:

 

But all of them, Garth included, are really good at what they do.

rct

Agreed.  So are strippers.

Good is subjective though.

The Edge is the world's greatest effects player that is a fact.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is.  Sometimes I fool around with U2 stuff, but I've never had a singer that could hack it.  I'd love to do a few dozen of theirs.   I often shoulder the Jazz and romp through some U2.  Adam Clayton is a great bass player.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was a good one.  A great one.  Yes, they started to just sound like U2, but everybody ends up sounding like themselves over and over, it's natural.  I think it depends on how many records it takes to get there.  Joshua Tree was their 5th, and that's about it for me, after that they were pretty much U2 over and over, but I like the later records as well.  Mrs gets all of them.  Which is ok.  I'd sound like me over and over to see those arenas full of mullets.

Believe it or not, even Zappa sounds like Zappa after a record or two.  Song or three maybe.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rct said:

That was a good one.  A great one.  Yes, they started to just sound like U2, but everybody ends up sounding like themselves over and over, it's natural.  I think it depends on how many records it takes to get there.  Joshua Tree was their 5th, and that's about it for me, after that they were pretty much U2 over and over, but I like the later records as well.  Mrs gets all of them.  Which is ok.  I'd sound like me over and over to see those arenas full of mullets.

Believe it or not, even Zappa sounds like Zappa after a record or two.  Song or three maybe.

rct

Sure but he just didn't do rawk 24/7. He's hard to pinpoint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, saturn said:

There was some kind of rumor/urban legend that FZ went to my high school. I think he might have been born around Baltimore, but that's about it. 

He was born in B'more. He move to LA when his dad got a job transfer to Cali. I don't remember if he finished high school in Baltimore or California.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't know why Gibson did not try to sue Frank. He's playing a fake Gibson. It's nickname is Baby Snakes. A guy made it and sold it to Frank before a show in Arizona I believe.

he maybe had better lawyers,  he wasn't dumb..  that's for sure  🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

he maybe had better lawyers,  he wasn't dumb..  that's for sure  🙂

Gibson wasn't sue happy back then. That was the new regimes thing. 

Every musician that played with and talks about him said he was one of the smartest people they ever met.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson wasn't sue happy back then. That was the new regimes thing. 

Every musician that played with and talks about him said he was one of the smartest people they ever met.

I watched a few interviews and read a few more.   he was an incredibly smart and gifted guy.  gone way too soon,, dam cancer..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I watched a few interviews and read a few more.   he was an incredibly smart and gifted guy.  gone way too soon,, dam cancer..

 

Yep. He marched to his own drum. He started out as a drummer before he played guitar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...