Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Les Paul

👦🏼I'm looking for a certain model Gibson Les Paul. I had a chance in either 1979 or 80 to buy one but had cash flow issues. If I recall it was a deep dark blue with very fine metal type finish which showed up well in the right light. I believe it was a studio or close since the only bindings were on the neck and headstock. Only thing I've been able to find close was an 08  robot . The guitar I'm searching for would've been likely from 1975 to 79 maybe 80.any info would be greatly appreciated.

I don't remember Studios before the mid 80s, but I may mis-remember.  Early ones had bound necks and dots on the board, but not bound headstocks, that was for the fancy Customs.  Good luck finding it.  I hate when one gets stuck in yer head.

rct

45 minutes ago, rct said:

I don't remember Studios before the mid 80s, but I may mis-remember.  Early ones had bound necks and dots on the board, but not bound headstocks, that was for the fancy Customs.  Good luck finding it.  I hate when one gets stuck in yer head.

rct

my handy dandy Tony Bacon's Les Paul book is back at the house, among the rubble...  It survived tho, so next time I'm there, I'll get it.  That would have the years different product lines were released and discontinued.

I have a few Les Paul books downstairs...

1983, Alder for first few years, thinner than a regular Les Paul, single ply bind on neck and dots for first two years.  Devolved into a couple dozen Studios after 1986.  Surprise!

rct

24 minutes ago, rct said:

Hello Pippy!  I remember them....

Hello rct! I remember You!......[laugh]......How's it going?!

Hope all the members of The Old Guard are safe and well? Best wishes to all, anyhow!

Apropos the OP and having just checked one of the reference books here; "Rocket Red and Basalt Blue sparkle finishes were added to the (LP DeLuxe) range in 1974..."

Philip.

Edited by pippy

7 minutes ago, pippy said:

Hello rct! I remember You!......[laugh]......How's it going?!

Hope all the members of The Old Guard are safe and well? Best wishes to all, anyhow!

Apropos the OP and having just checked one of the reference books here; "Rocket Red and Basalt Blue sparkle finishes were added to the (LP DeLuxe) range in 1974..."

Philip.

Pip! Welcome back man..  and this is why you should come here more often..  sounds like you had the answer..

18 minutes ago, rct said:

Going well, and I hope the same for You and Yours.  Mrs set to retire, two bottles of Cristal waiting.  I can hear them calling...

rct

In which case might I suggest that it would be unutterably rude of you to turn a deaf ear?...

As it happens it's our wedding anniversary tomorrow. Our Crystal anniversary, would you believe? Champagne, needless to say, will be on the Carte des Vins demain-soir......

Nice to hear from you!

Philip.

Oh my goodness enjoy your Anniversary!  Whatever yer having, I'm jelly.  You guys just hop a cab to France and buy the good stuff.  It is good to see you here fella, don't be a stranger too much.

rct

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Pip! Welcome back man..  and this is why you should come here more often..  sounds like you had the answer..

Hi to you, KB! Hope you are all doing well and staying safe in these strange days?

I do pop in from time to time as and when I have a mo' but there seems to be a lot of strange internal niggling going on from some strange- and not so strange folks so I'm not sure what to make of the place these days...

Hope everyone is really looking after themselves.

1 minute ago, rct said:

Oh my goodness enjoy your Anniversary!  Whatever yer having, I'm jelly.  You guys just hop a cab to France and buy the good stuff.  It is good to see you here fella, don't be a stranger too much.

rct

Well, we're taking the car over there in a couple of weeks' time so I'll be sure to post a snap of the 'haulage' on our return sometime mid- August...

[tongue]

Philip.

Hello there Big Boy!

Who is going to explain to poor Uncle Social (on the occasion of his first post!) that this is what happens to a thread once it is assumed the question has been answered?...

[laugh]

Philip.

7 minutes ago, pippy said:

Hi to you, KB! Hope you are all doing well and staying safe in these strange days?

I do pop in from time to time as and when I have a mo' but there seems to be a lot of strange internal niggling going on from some strange- and not so strange folks so I'm not sure what to make of the place these days...

Hope everyone is really looking after themselves.

we're all healthy Pippy, If someone told me 2020 would be like this, I'd ask them what they'd been smokin.. but at this point, I'd rahter be askin if they had any more and wanted  to share.  🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pippy said:

Hello there Big Boy!

Who is going to explain to poor Uncle Social (on the occasion of his first post!) that this is what happens to a thread once it is assumed the question has been answered?...

[laugh]

Philip.

ha !  yea we hijacked it!!  didn't we...  Sorry bout that,, got all excited when Pippy strolled buy...

• Thanks 1