Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-50 vs Gibson Southern Jumbo

rocky_raccoon

Hi all,

I am thinking of either purchasing a brand new Gibson 50s J-50 Original or a used Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo from 2012. 

Anyone have any experience with either of these guitars and what they sound like in terms of tone etc? I see it as Sitka spruce top vs Adirondack and more bling on the SJ but would be get to people's thoughts on both guitars.

Thank you

I just bought a 50s reissue J-50.

I love it. It sounds much older than it is and has that authentic Gibson thump and warmth.

I like the pick-up and the neck profile too. Oh and it doesn't have an adjustable bridge, which will appeal to some people.

(I posted a video of it in a recent thread, although I'm an extremely limited player and used very basic recording technology.)

Finally, although it will get even nicer, the top is already a lovely colour brand new. Photos often don't do that justice.

I'd been thinking of getting an older model but I'm really glad I plumped for this one.

Just now, TomG76 said:

I just bought a 50s reissue J-50.

I love it. It sounds much older than it is and has that authentic Gibson thump and warmth.

I like the pick-up and the neck profile too. Oh and it doesn't have an adjustable bridge, which will appeal to some people.

(I posted a video of it in a recent thread, although I'm an extremely limited player and used very basic recording technology.)

Finally, although it will get even nicer, the top is already a lovely colour brand new. Photos often don't do that justice.

I'd been thinking of getting an older model but I'm really glad I plumped for this one.

The consensus on my thread was that people loved the guitar.

40 minutes ago, TomG76 said:

interesting. I always thought it was a bit pale from the pictures.. I love the look of that butterscotch hue from those vintage models.

Look how this same model J-50 seems to change colour in this Don Ruffatto video purely because of studio lights.

My own one looks white in a photo but is actually a nice straw gold.

Edited by TomG76
Embedding link

The online demos on the Sheryl Crow SJ from that era have all been astonishing. There's one video posted here a few months ago. It is a great example and not all will be that good, sure, but if it's in the ball-park. It was my initial search and find. I was bummed I could not find one, but they I got my SJ-200 Pre War Historic collection and have no complaints.

In reality, I consider these guitars to be quite a ways apart. Both awesome, of course. Here's that video that someone post a few months back.

51 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

The online demos on the Sheryl Crow SJ from that era have all been astonishing. There's one video posted here a few months ago. It is a great example and not all will be that good, sure, but if it's in the ball-park. It was my initial search and find. I was bummed I could not find one, but they I got my SJ-200 Pre War Historic collection and have no complaints.

In reality, I consider these guitars to be quite a ways apart. Both awesome, of course. Here's that video that someone post a few months back.

Nice

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a new original series southern jumbo.  I didn't go for the TV model because I wanted a mahogany giutar.  I tried to find a Sheryl crow  but no luck. Probably couldn't swing it anyway. I am happy with my SJ though. I have mot ever played a J50 only 45's and a humingbird. Looks like a nice guitar. And the Sheryl crow in the video. I think my SJ sounds very similar. 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:58 PM, TomG76 said:

Look how this same model J-50 seems to change colour in this Don Ruffatto video purely because of studio lights.

The J-50 is a chameleon! I have a 2008 J-50 and the color completely changes depending on the direction of the light and your position relative to both the light source and guitar. Try it sometime, move around the guitar and look from different angles, the color changes drastically. This is most noticeable with a single point source of light. Must have something to do with polarized light. My 1965 J-50 exhibits a similar effect too. I guess this isn't as noticeable on a guitar with a burst finish. Don't know, never owned one of those, I always liked natural finishes. 🙂

• Like 1

My J50 is a true shape shifter.    Those who are old timers here know the tale but it is a cool story which took no less than three Pros from Dover to unravel.  The FON shows the guitar started life as a J50 in 1942.  But one of the book matched top pieces accidentally got flip flopped.    Somebody down the line must have caught the screw up  and decided on the spot to shoot a burst to cover it up.   So I guess that makes it a J47.5.  But the story does not end there.  Somewhere in its life it lost the burst as well as its pickguard and bridge.   My repair guy, who found the evidence of the original burst, decided it needed to be restored so copied the finish on a 1944 J45 he had in the shop at the time.   Here it be as I stumbled across it.

Gibsons-J50-Detail-2.jpg

• Like 2