Gibson Brands Forums

J-60 Question

docr

I have found many contributions about J60s in this forum, they end around 2013. Just for my understanding - is a rosewood J60 sounding like a D28/HD28? From the first look the two guitars are very similar. J60s are still on the used-guitar-market - and could be a nice present for someone going to be 60 ...

• Like 1

So, they made them in two waves, an earlier 90s run and a later reissue. The most common is with rosewood back and sides, but I've heard of walnut and other woods. Those are rare. 

I have one of the 90's versions with the rosewood back and sides. 

Now, it's clearly designed to be a Gibson version of the HD28, and that's why I bought mine- because I love Gibson guitars and because the J60 is less known than a lot of their others and you can find them pretty reasonably priced sometimes. I got mine for a little more than $1k, if I really correctly. 

I don't know if it sounds exactly like an HD-28, but what I can tell you is that it sounds incredible. I mean, just amazing. It's loud and booming, unlike your typical Gibson and more on the Martin side of things, but it still has Gibson sweetness to it, it's powerful, clear, and has an incredible dynamic range. 

I suppose that I would still like to own a Martin HD-28, if I had the money, but I can tell you that I don't feel any kind of urgency about it and while it might sound a little different, I can't imagine how it- or really, any acoustic guitar- could sound much "better". 

Edited by Larry Mal

The J60 was also advanced braced like the AJ   .   I had a couple of those early ones over the years.    They were suppose to be comparable to the HD28.     They are a nice guitar.    Back in the 90s they also made a maple version.  Part of the Montana specials line up. 

15 hours ago, Larry Mal said:

So, they made them in two waves, an earlier 90s run and a later reissue. The most common is with rosewood back and sides, but I've heard of walnut and other woods. Those are rare. 

I have one of the 90's versions with the rosewood back and sides. 

Now, it's clearly designed to be a Gibson version of the HD28, and that's why I bought mine- because I love Gibson guitars and because the J60 is less known than a lot of their others and you can find them pretty reasonably priced sometimes. I got mine for a little more than $1k, if I really correctly. 

I don't know if it sounds exactly like an HD-28, but what I can tell you is that it sounds incredible. I mean, just amazing. It's loud and booming, unlike your typical Gibson and more on the Martin side of things, but it still has Gibson sweetness to it, it's powerful, clear, and has an incredible dynamic range. 

I suppose that I would still like to own a Martin HD-28, if I had the money, but I can tell you that I don't feel any kind of urgency about it and while it might sound a little different, I can't imagine how it- or really, any acoustic guitar- could sound much "better". 

Larry Mal,

Thank you for your information about J60 and the photos. The guitar look very good! The headstock looks similar to the headstock of my Maple AJ. I have the impression that a J60 would fit in my collection - maybe a good one crosses my way someday. I have no rosewood Gibson up to now as I have rosewood Martings, but the J60 seems to be special.

The prices are rising, a first quick look in the internet shows around 1.500€. So your guitar has been a good investment.

14 hours ago, slimt said:

The J60 was also advanced braced like the AJ   .   I had a couple of those early ones over the years.    They were suppose to be comparable to the HD28.     They are a nice guitar.    Back in the 90s they also made a maple version.  Part of the Montana specials line up. 

Thank you for the information. There are so many different versions of bracings in the acoustic guitar wordl As far as I remember, the AJ braching has another angel in the "X" compared to J45s? Martin always shifts the X, pointing to different sounds and historical backgrounds. I do not know where the X of my HD28 is, but it sounds good.

Have there been more rosewood or maple J60s? 

7 hours ago, docr said:

Larry Mal,

Thank you for your information about J60 and the photos. The guitar look very good! The headstock looks similar to the headstock of my Maple AJ. I have the impression that a J60 would fit in my collection - maybe a good one crosses my way someday. I have no rosewood Gibson up to now as I have rosewood Martings, but the J60 seems to be special.

The prices are rising, a first quick look in the internet shows around 1.500€. So your guitar has been a good investment.

Bitte schön- my guitar has something of a blemish on the top that is apparently not seen in pictures but is immediately visible when you look at it directly. That probably helped me win it on eBay.

Also, I will imagine that you are seeing the prices that folks are asking more than what they are selling for to a degree.

Gibson does wonderful with rosewood- this J60 inspired me to get a 12 fret L-00 in rosewood, which is truly wonderful. Also I have a J-29 which is sort of an advanced braced rosewood J45, and I would have more if I hadn't run out of money!

I’ve been through a quite few Gibson’s looking for that RW sound I like. So far the only ones I liked (soundwise) are a stage deluxe and a NL, both 12 fretters with deep bodies. I have a new one on order that I have high hopes for. 

• 6 months later...

I have a 1998 J60 Traditional that I purchased from the original owner about 6 years ago.   As stated, it sounds somewhat like a D-28, yet it still maintains some of the Gibson tonal characteristics.  Definitely a loud beast and the inside smells like an antique chest of drawers! It feels / sounds  older than a 24 year old !    I paid about $900 for it with the original case.   

• Like 1

These are GREAT guitars. I've been after one of the Iron Mountain J60s in Adi/Maple for years...whenever I've had the money in hand, I haven't been able to find one. My AJ Flame Deluxe and Dove scratch my Maple dread itch now, but the J60s in all flavours are absolutely spectacular instruments. 

I very nearly bought a '93 in Rosewood a couple of years ago, but the action was unusually high and I was concerned that it may have a broken truss rod, so regretfully passed on it. It sounded stellar though...one day.

And then there is the half-sibling - the J-30.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Wonder if anybody can remember the difference. .  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-J-30-AN-1992/274510749624?_trkparms=aid%3D555023%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190711100440%26meid%3Dd5e59c635767435e9487b25df6b6ce39%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D24%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D333884379116%26itm%3D274510749624%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5hPointwiseWebNoToraCoCoViewsNoHighIdfOrRoundRobinBlenderWithPromotedViewItems%26brand%3DGibson&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982                                   

Edited by E-minor7