Gibson Brands Forums

I Just Bought My First Les Paul!! ....and I have questions...

rocknpop

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share some pics with you of my new Les Paul. I Love the sound but I have some questions about what has been done to this guitar... Here are my doubts:

1) Seems like the frets have been replaced? What do you think? Is that bad?

2) The bridge pickup seems to be slanted... how do I fix that?

3) I have some buzz at the 7th fret... is that normal? I can barely hear it when plugged.

4) The hardware seems faded... is it worth replacing on a 4 year old guitar?

Pics:

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Unless it is broken don't replace anything, it gives it character. take it to a good guitar tech to be set up, and frets dressed. the neck might need adjusting no biggy. if the frets have been replaced no big deal.

but really take it to a good guitar tech and have him/her set it up and dress the frets.

Nice guitar.

3) I have some buzz at the 7th fret... is that normal? I can barely hear it when plugged.

4) The hardware seems faded... is it worth replacing on a 4 year old guitar?

1. It means the guy played it. It's not bad.

2. Looks fine in the pics, why don't you remove the pickup and see if there are more than four holes underneath.

If there aren't, then don't worry about it.

3. Try adjusting the neck, if you know how.

4. If you replace it, it'll fade again in four years, right?

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I think the guitar looks good, the frets look like those of a 4 year old guitar that has been played.

The buzz can be dealt with but if it's too little and you don't hear it while plugged to an amp I would leave it there (if the guitar plays confortably as it is).

The hardware... well, you could install new hardware but being gold it will fade really fast anyway...

The pickup looks ok (I think the slight angle of the bridge might be giving you the illusion of it being slanted).

Hey Guys' date='

I wanted to share some pics with you of my new Les Paul. I Love the sound but I have some questions about what has been done to this guitar... Here are my doubts:

4) The hardware seems faded... is it worth replacing on a 4 year old guitar?[/quote']

1) Maybe maybe not; hard to say from the pics. Whether they have been or not is no big deal; if you play any guitar long enough, the frets will need to be replaced.

2) It's normal. They all slant.

3) The neck might need some adjustment.

4) I wouldn't bother. It all gets crummy looking after awhile (especially gold). Besides, some guys pay big bucks for guitars that have been "aged" by professionals.

Your bridge is backward. And the saddles are slotted for string spacing facing the other direction.

Other than that it seems to be fine ...

Not necessarily. Gibson seems to be inconsistent with how they install the bridge and I don't know that it makes much difference one way or the other which ways it's installed.

30U-14046_bridge.jpg

30U-14093_bridge-tailpiece.jpg

LPSUHSGH_Les_Paul_Supreme_HPbridge.jpg

505650.jpg

Thanks guys! Really helpful stuff, especially about the saddle and bridge. I just got back from my guitar tech and he said it should be fine as long as the intonation was set properly.

Should I try to adjust the neck before taking it to the guitar tech? Or is it recommended that an expert does it?

I love my guitar!

From what i've heard they install the bridge that way because - depending on the sting angle from bridge -> tailpiece - the strings can hit the saddle adjustment screws if it's turned around the "right" way.

I'd say leave it as is unless you can't get the intonation straight with the saddles facing that way. You can always flip them around independently too if you need to move one or two of them

Either way you should be fine.

Great looking guitar!

ABR1 Pup

Nashville Tailpeice 99.9 %

You can look at those slots and see it's backward .

Do you think it's bad?

For some odd reason my Strat and Taylor stay ini tune a little bit better than this one... not sure if this has to do with it or it is the tuners...?

The bridge is the wrong way. ABR 1 screw heads face the neck, Nashville heads face the stop bar. As AXE says, you can see that the 1st is sitting in a wide groove originally for the 6th string. The 6th string is sitting high on the saddle. The gold worn from the bridge also shows it was originally fitted the other way.

Thanks guys! Really helpful stuff' date=' especially about the saddle and bridge. I just got back from my guitar tech and he said it should be fine as long as the intonation was set properly.

Should I try to adjust the neck before taking it to the guitar tech? Or is it recommended that an expert does it?

I love my guitar![/quote']

I'd take it to your tech, especially since you're unsure.

Archived