Gibson Brands Forums

What Your J-200 Should Sound Like

Leonard McCoy

Something tells me he has a lot of 200s. Cat/Yusuf is seen with so many versions the recent years. 

Here at the other hand a rare glimpse of a blonde 68/69 Bird, , , 

Yusuf Islam to honour child refugees in London gig

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .   . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .   . . , , , with new tuners. . 

Based on  the recommendation of some friends and what I heard on the radio I did buy several of Yusuf's LPs in the late 1960s and early 1970s.   Sorry but it was just not happening for me.  My favorite of the bunch was "Tea for the Tillerman" but that had more to do with Alun Davies' guitar playing than Yusuf's words or voice.  I gather that Yusuf  has re-recorded that LP using his original band and producer.  That just might be worth a listen.  

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Based on  the recommendation of some friends and what I heard on the radio I did buy several of Yusuf's LPs in the late 1960s and early 1970s.   Sorry but it was just not happening for me.  My favorite of the bunch was "Tea for the Tillerman" but that had more to do with Alun Davies' guitar playing than Yusuf's words or voice.  I gather that Yusuf  has re-recorded that LP using his original band and producer.  That just might be worth a listen.  

hey we all have different things that float our boats.  for example, I can't really listen to Dylan, and I hate the Rolling Stones with a Passion..  So there is THAT!!  🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kidblast said:

hey we all have different things that float our boats.  for example, I can't really listen to Dylan, and I hate the Rolling Stones with a Passion..  So there is THAT!!  🙂

I assume you are goofing on me here,   I do not think I can get through a month without putting Beggars Banquet or Highway 61 Revisited on the turntable.    As I said, I gave Yusuf a shot.   I  guess I am just not a sensitive singer/songwriter kind of guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I assume you are goofing on me here,   I do not think I can get through a month without putting Beggars Banquet or Highway 61 Revisited on the turntable.    As I said, I gave Yusuf a shot.   I  guess I am just not a sensitive singer/songwriter kind of guy.

yea..  figured that would get yer attention.. LOL!  Part of the  Yusuf thing comes from  when we still knew him as Cat Stevens. 

My wife and I met in Jr High, spent a lot of time driving to places (and well not driving sometimes...)  listening to him on cassette or radio.  as much nostalgic than anything.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

You got the wrong album ZWF.  My favorites:  Tuesday’s Dead & Peace Train from “Teaser and the Firecat”.

Stones:  Major influence in ‘64 & ‘65.  Done with them by their fourth album, other than an occasional song now & then.  Never listen to them anymore.

Dylan:  Being more blues oriented, Hwy 61 Revisited was the one that clicked for me, and then so many other gems up through the Modern Times album.  Still have to get a fix of his stuff every now & then.  Forget the voice, it’s all about the poetic phrasing, and the incredible musicians he continually surrounds himself with.

Bottom line:  We all like what we like.