Gibson Brands Forums

Made a trade for a les paul studio

Oddball667

Ok I'm a bass player first and foremost.

But recently I bought a cheap jackson guitar to play and a guy at work gave me a deal on his old (90's) solid state Marshall G100R CD 100 watt solid state head and Marshall slanted 4x12 cab for $150 but the reverb wire was chewed through .

I thought sweet , I'm not much of a guitar player , dont need a halfstack but its a pretty cool amp even if overkill but couldn't beat the price.

That was about two weeks ago , and last weekend I drug it over to my neighbors to jam and he brought out a 1970 sg and a 72 sg double neck to jam on and fell in love with it . (I know, know its not a plexi or a jcm 800) so everytime I seen him it was "how much you want for it , I want to record with it" ECT ...with cash in hand.

I kept telling him I'm not intrested in selling it but he can use it whenever he likes since I'm a bass player I'm more intrested in getting me some decent bass gear since my divorce cost me ALL of my gear.

Long story short so today he comes out with a cherry or wine colored Gibson les paul studio with Grover tuners , white pickgaurd and white speed knobs and said he would trade straight across for it in the Gibson USA hardshell case because the fuzz inside was pink.

So I took the deal (hopefully I didn't get screwed)

Then started thinking great now I have two guitars and no amp amd mentioned something so he gave me his Marshall G30R CD 30 watt combo.

Literally the exact same amp just 30 Watts instead of a hundred

But I'm looking at the headstock at the serial number and its 90863347 with USA stamped under it .

He told me he thought it was a 1994 , any ideas or information on this model and year?

So fare I'm completely in love with it so it really don't matter that its not a '59 gold top to me lol .

.....now if only I could get this lucky with bass gear.

1010201650.jpg

1015201621_HDR.jpg

1015201621b.jpg

1015201621.jpg

1010201548.jpg

• Thanks 1

1993 model I believe..

I had almost exactly the same guitar  from new which was also a 93...  Mine had gold hardware..  I think the one you have the knobs and pickguard have been swapped out.. But thats a guess... My old one had an ebony board I think. Which was not unusual back then but you dont generally find studios with ebony any more.

The knobs have definitely been swapped and all the ones I can find have a black pickgaurd , I kinda like the contrast though on the knobs.

Seems to be a great playing and sounding guitar though .

Ive only ever had the chance to play epiphone and this Gibson blows them away .

Ive pretty much decided this will be "the guitar" i finally learn more than power chords on .

At this point im not joining any bands or really playing with anyone or anything , just gonna play for my own enjoyment and take my time and learn what I want.

Been kinda wanting to play some "Sabbath type" stuff and its a great guitar and has a great sound for it and I dont feel like ive even begun to discover what it can do.

Before I moved 1000 miles from home everyone I knew was a great guitar player , so I was sort of discouraged because I would struggle and they would make it look so easy , now its just me my girl and the kids I feel that is no longer the case and there all jealous because "the bass player" has a nicer guitar than them lol.

...it definitely needs some love though , ill change the strings and clean it up and cherish this guitar, where every other guitar was just something to come up with a very basic idea of a fuitar part on and pass the torch to one of my friends as I was mainly intrested in the bassline this one will be the one I pass on to my daughter I think.

.....now if only he had an explorer and a flying V he didn't need anymore 😆

I do have one random question and please don't laugh , but the guy keeps swearing its some sort of custom shop model .

How would I tell? Shouldn't it have some sort of stamp or logo other than the standard Gibson logo and the serial number and USA stamped on it and the studio on the truss rod plate?

Because best I can tell its a standard 94 studio , wich im completely 100% fine with , but would be nice to know exactly WHAT I have .

But as it sits in its case next to my bed right now it definitely is an inspiring guitar that makes me want to play and in the end thats what matters .

30 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Perhaps a limited run for one of the stores?  Not a Custom Shop.

I completely forgot about companies doing that .

But was off on the year also , its a 1993 studio .

I dont really think theres anytging special about it other than its mine and I love it .

Pretty sure it dont have the stock pickgaurd as it is white pearloid , the tuners are grover also not stock white knobs and Schaller strap locks .

Pretty sure everything else is stock

25 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The pickguard, knobs, and tuners are not stock. The pickups look like they’ve been changed to me but that could just be the photo. In the photo it looks like the pickup covers are nickel and the rest of the hardware is chrome.

Oh for sure the tuners are grover so I know there not stock (can see the extra holes.  And I knew the knobs were wrong and the pickgaurd in every other '93 the same color as mine are black so I assumed it was changed for some reason.

But I sorta like the contrast , any idea how I can fix a small ding , not really worried about filling it as much as color matching it as I can't help staring at it when I play , its on the top side just above the switch. 

1018201144.jpg