Gibson Brands Forums

New LG2 Review from Acoustic Guitar Magazine

BluesKing777

I was not impressed. He was pushing to get the most out of the guitar but I was still not impressed.

Plugged in didn't help. I would had liked if he compared it to the cooked top Banner version.

Sal got one when they came out but I don't remember which one he had.

I had this exact guitar for a cup of coffee...

It is very pleasing. Nothing wrong with the sound... but it is quiet and boxy, and weirdly more so than the LG2 - American Eagle. I moved it along, and don't miss it really, although I think it records great and balanced, and is great for the right style of play. Maybe if I held it for a few years, it would open up.

I suppose even though I moved mine along, I would not steer anyone away from this guitar. I just think a few others do the job for a lot less coin - like the 00-15M.

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

Brand spanking new - it probably needs to be left out near the fence for a while....trouble with most shop guitar videos is that the guitars are......new! Few years on it if it is playable....different beast.

Apart from the odd laconic strum on a couch, the good news with an LG size guitar is that they weigh 2 feathers/ 3 feathers tops. Chuck it in a Hiscox to fit and you add 2 more feathers and a great outfit to lug up the street and 3 floors up to that gig run by the sadist...oops, getting steamed up thinking of a gig I did, past is past, eh?

Moot point anyway, the shops here don't seem to have any intention of ordering the LG2 or L-00s, just dreads. We have our top selling Maton 808s, a deep body copy of a mix between a Martin 00-18 and a LG2/3.

Here is Al Petteway playing a bit of rag on the ideal sound:

BluesKing777.

I love the sound of that 1944, all-mahogany LG-2! Makes me miss my 1943 LG-1, which is the same guitar, but with fancier trim (fancy rosette, multiple purflings top and back). My LG-1 is on long-term loan to Jennifer Nettles, with whom I'm working on a project.

78226486_10214813581266427_3311540868934

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Brand spanking new - it probably needs to be left out near the fence for a while....trouble with most shop guitar videos is that the guitars are......new! Few years on it if it is playable....different beast.

Apart from the odd laconic strum on a couch, the good news with an LG size guitar is that they weigh 2 feathers/ 3 feathers tops. Chuck it in a Hiscox to fit and you add 2 more feathers and a great outfit to lug up the street and 3 floors up to that gig run by the sadist...oops, getting steamed up thinking of a gig I did, past is past, eh?

Moot point anyway, the shops here don't seem to have any intention of ordering the LG2 or L-00s, just dreads. We have our top selling Maton 808s, a deep body copy of a mix between a Martin 00-18 and a LG2/3.

Here is Al Petteway playing a bit of rag on the ideal sound:

BluesKing777.

BK, whether it's the L body shape or the LG shape, the small-body Gibsons are perfect for fingerpicking. As you say, the new ones just need some age.

I've been playing my three 'hog slope J's almost exclusively for the last year--#1 1950 J-45 tuned down a half step, #2 1950 J-45 in standard tuning, 1943 SJ re-issue in open D. It helps to have three so that you can leave them in different tunings depending on what you want to play.

Every now and then, however, I hear a muffled voice coming from a redline case in the corner. It's the L-OO Legend, saying "play me, play me, play me."

And I'm always amazed at what a crisp, dry tone it has.  I got out a plastic thumbpick and nickel fingerpicks last night, something I haven't done in years. Even with long-dead strings, the Legend sings its little old heart out.

My favorite LG2 remains a 1944 maple body I ran across at a small guitar show several years back.  I have never been able to get the sound of that guitar out of my head.

While I am not sure about this instance,  when it comes to reviews I always take them with a grain of salt if the builder also happens to be an advertiser.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

My Banner LG1 is still at the top of my list. 

42 LG1

Is that from the  2013 run?  I ran acoss an original Banner LG1  about five or six years ago which was up for sale at a pretty good price but needed a lot of work.  But by the time I got to it the guitar though it had already been sold. 

Edited by zombywoof

20 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Is that from the  2013 run?  I ran acoss an original Banner LG1  about five or six years ago which was up for sale at a pretty good price but needed a lot of work.  But by the time I got to it the guitar though it had already been sold. 

It’s an original

30 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I am sure you have posted about this guitar before.  But my memory ain't what it used to be.   I can recall running  across two originals only one of which was for sale. 

I had bought JT’s 2013 version he had bought to compare to his original. I was impressed with it and with John’s help found an original that didn’t need too much work. 
I recently sold the 2013

Banner LG1

Myself like Sal - Owned a LG2 Eagle.  It was a fine guitar but never blew my socks off - so away it went.  I picked up a L-00 Walnut burst 6 months back and I still am loving it.  Though it appears not to be a popular model on this forum.  It excels at finger picking and Blues strumming.  Oh and a very affordable American made Gibson Acoustic. Ken   

Edited by Gasman

17 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Myself like Sal - Owned a LG2 Eagle.  It was a fine guitar but never blew my socks off - so away it went.  I picked up a L-00 Walnut burst 6 months back and I still am loving it.  Though it appears not to be a popular model on this forum.  It excels at finger picking and Blues strumming.  Oh and a very affordable American made Gibson Acoustic. Ken   

Thanks for the timely thread!  I am thinking about adding one of these newer LG2 but have been tempted by the lower cost walnut L-00 or older American Eagles - vintage is not in the budget.  

Gasman, I'm curious about your experience - why does the Walnut L-00 do it for you and the LG2 not?  

Well - That is kinda hard to answer  -  but I play mostly Country style Blues - so when I first picked this L-00 up and slammed a E Chord I knew this guitar was right up my alley.

But that"s just me and my playing style.  I love the feel of the neck and has decent volume.  And most important being older it is a very comfortable guitar to play.  I would defiantly try one before you buy - What sounds good to me might sound terrible to you. 

Bottom line The L-00 to me just Excels more with the Blues sound than the LG Eagle did. Lots of luck - Ken 

Edited by Gasman

19 hours ago, j45nick said:

BK, whether it's the L body shape or the LG shape, the small-body Gibsons are perfect for fingerpicking. As you say, the new ones just need some age.

I've been playing my three 'hog slope J's almost exclusively for the last year--#1 1950 J-45 tuned down a half step, #2 1950 J-45 in standard tuning, 1943 SJ re-issue in open D. It helps to have three so that you can leave them in different tunings depending on what you want to play.

Every now and then, however, I hear a muffled voice coming from a redline case in the corner. It's the L-OO Legend, saying "play me, play me, play me."

And I'm always amazed at what a crisp, dry tone it has.  I got out a plastic thumbpick and nickel fingerpicks last night, something I haven't done in years. Even with long-dead strings, the Legend sings its little old heart out.

Probably the  best thing to do if you don’t play it is to send to me!😎

Now if a new LG2 of any ilk arrives here, I will be there to try it, buy it? (As has been explained by others in depth, we only get what the dealer loco brings in at 3x the price.)

That said, if we look at USA Sweetwater we can see that for $130 more than the LG2 Original, we can have a Martin CEO7.....if they can stock it long enough since the Yesterday movie with the hero playing one. The CEO7 has very similar specs to the L-00 Legend.....1 3/4” nut, 2 3/8” bridge space, V neck.....adi top over mahogany.....

Mine is from the first flush, 5 or 6 years ago, and has a very nice Honduran mahogany back and sides...they have used a few types of mahogany since. As mentioned previously, I had a K&K Trinity pickup system installed and even though I thought the setup was ok, told the luthier, Mr Magic, to do a nice setup while he had it. He keeps saying it is a great guitar, a wonderful guitar.... I just played it for an hour or so and guess what? It is! Does it sound like a Gibson slope shoulder L-00? Nope!Does it sound like a Martin 00-18? Nope! But it sounds and plays GREAT for fingerstyle!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

The other incredible guitar with 1 3/4" nut, 2 3/8" bridge space, big V neck is the Waterloo WL-14 version of the Kalamazoo KG-14/L-00. Sensational ragpickers!

Strange that Bill Collings nailed the Kalamazoo KG-14 sounds but in a modern playability setup, but doesn't seem to have attempted a Banner LG2. Maybe it was on his long list of to do guitars? They don't seem to be doing many new guitar models since he died, just rehashing.

BluesKing777.

I have wondered the same thing, Bluesking. I’ve been very impressed with the Waterloo lineup and hoped they would do some kind of LG. The few I’ve owned were spectacular but too similar in tone to my keeper Martin 017 custom.  

Speaking of the LG2 I stopped in a new local shop I have not been in before and they had one on the wall. I didn’t have much time but it was enough to play and listen and know that all my questions have been answered. Probably the most comfortable neck I’ve played on a new guitar.  And the tone was what I’d hoped for - a great compliment to my Martin. They wouldn’t negotiate from the tag price so I walked. But at least now I know the answers to my questions and will begin the budgeting  and shopping. 

1 hour ago, CJB said:

I have wondered the same thing, Bluesking. I’ve been very impressed with the Waterloo lineup and hoped they would do some kind of LG. The few I’ve owned were spectacular but too similar in tone to my keeper Martin 017 custom.  

Speaking of the LG2 I stopped in a new local shop I have not been in before and they had one on the wall. I didn’t have much time but it was enough to play and listen and know that all my questions have been answered. Probably the most comfortable neck I’ve played on a new guitar.  And the tone was what I’d hoped for - a great compliment to my Martin. They wouldn’t negotiate from the tag price so I walked. But at least now I know the answers to my questions and will begin the budgeting  and shopping. 

You liked it and you left it?

Hmmmm.. strong! .....[biggrin]

BluesKing777.