Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan sells his whole catalog for rumored $300 million

Boyd

Wow. He's a genius and wrote so many great songs, he's certainly entitled to whatever the market will bear. I really admire his early work, but have no interest in him anymore. Guess he needs the money? Wonder if YouTube will get even more aggressive about pulling videos of his songs?

On Monday, the Universal Music Publishing Group announced that it had signed a landmark deal to purchase Dylan’s entire songwriting catalog — including world-changing classics like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “The Times They Are A-Changin’” and “Like a Rolling Stone” — in what may be the biggest acquisition ever of the music publishing rights of a single songwriter.  The deal, which covers Dylan’s entire career, from his earliest tunes to his latest album, “Rough and Rowdy Ways,” was struck directly with Dylan, 79, who has long controlled the vast majority of his own songwriting copyrights The price was not disclosed, but is estimated at more than $300 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/arts/music/bob-dylan-universal-music.html?searchResultPosition=1

Edited by Boyd

Not sure what his strategy was selling to Universal, unless he felt he wasn't getting all the royalties he deserved so took a lump of cash instead?  Article says he's 79, so at $30 million a year for ten years I'd say he will be pretty well set up for life.  I know nothing about his personal lifestyle, but he doesn't seem like the sort of guy that owns several million dollars homes and Rolls Royces etc.  I'd have a hard time spending $30 million leave alone $300 million.  I mean after the big house in Hawaii, several boats, cars, and more guitars than any one person could play what do you do with the rest?  Maybe he has some plans to donate to certain causes or foundations?

Dylan is 79 years old. So maybe now’s a good time to figure out how his music will live on after he dies. The slog of administrative work that comes with licensing isn’t a great gift to leave family members- registering copyrights, pursuing licenses, tracking down the royalties. So instead of all that — maybe Dylan wants to leave his heirs with hundreds of millions in cash.

Streaming and COVID-19 may also be factors.

There’s no reason to begrudge the man his well deserved financial success.

37 minutes ago, scriv58 said:

Dylan is 79 years old. So maybe now’s a good time to figure out how his music will live on after he dies. The slog of administrative work that comes with licensing isn’t a great gift to leave family members- registering copyrights, pursuing licenses, tracking down the royalties. So instead of all that — maybe Dylan wants to leave his heirs with hundreds of millions in cash.

Streaming and COVID-19 may also be factors.

There’s no reason to begrudge the man his well deserved financial success.

no one has done so in the replies I've seen....

• Like 1

Well well well, , , you generate something that over time turns out to represent a mountain of money.  

Better get the best out of it, , ,  , or somebody else will.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        A bastard, a top-hat trickster, a con-man, a hardcore-corporation, a company of fakers, a spider-web-organisation, a rat-hole, a vultures nest, a flock of partying hyenas, a beast. 

What you decide to do after that is up to you. But drop the blind men at the gate a cup of coins and sprinkle the lonesome hobos a diamond sky. .  

46 minutes ago, EuroAussie said:

Good on him, but I have to say out of all the big names this is one musician / writer I  was never able to understand the appeal of.  

Lots don't and lots do. I like him up through Blood On The Tracks. Not every thing Dylan did was magic. The Dylan-philes will say otherwise.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper