Gibson Brands Forums

"Make The World Go Away" - Warning Martin Content

BluesKing777

I just recorded this track while playing off the book lead sheet I have.....as soon as you press 'record' it is like a dog is biting your toes while you are playing! Anyway, good practice.

So here is my loose chord/melody version of Hank Cochran's "Make The World Go Away" played on my fab 2006 Martin HD28V.

A long story short but I was going to sell the guitar last year but the frets were kaput on 1 - 4 and sounded awful, so I got the guitar re-fretted and .......oh, oh, now I am back in LOVE!!!!

If, if ,if  - just an if - I put it up on consignment, it would go in seconds and that is before they played it - there are no Martin D28 stocks or variants in this whole country at the moment...zip.

Last week I recorded some jazz - this week some country! Here ya go:

BluesKing777.

Old photos (before re-fret):

8ZAYyUkh.jpg

UXO04suh.jpg

Edited by BluesKing777

Bluesking777,

Doesn't get any better than a D-28. 

No ugly moustache bridges, or pickguards with birds on them.

Just quiet, unassuming good taste, and a sound to die for.

And anyone who wants one can check out The Twelfth Fret here in Toronto. They've got four in stock.

RBSinTo

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Bluesking777,

Doesn't get any better than a D-28. 

No ugly moustache bridges, or pickguards with birds on them.

Just quiet, unassuming good taste, and a sound to die for.

And anyone who wants one can check out The Twelfth Fret here in Toronto. They've got four in stock.

RBSinTo

Don’t have to dislike one guitar in order to like another! I’ve got some unassuming guitars, as well as some with birds on the pick guards as well as ugly mustache bridges. Hope that’s allowed!

Have always loved that song. Nice !

• Like 2

According to the majority here all my guitars bridges are on the wrong way like the one that is two posts above that was taken outside.

Since BK777 posted about a Martin the thread will die a quick death. That guitar is a beauty. A HD from CFM is on my list of stuff I want and another 000 and a 00 and ...

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well, I go in phases of liking a Martin sound and being a bit bored with it - I mean, it is on just about EVERYTHING since recordings began....so had to come up with something fresh.

BUT, fantastically fresh but still Martin is my CEO7 - my fave L-00 shape bu with a great Mod V neck and wide bridge spacing etc. I had mine setup when I got a K&K Trinity installed and it is now an all round sensation....great to play, sounds good acoustically, sounds good plugged in.

So the mind started to wander towards buying a vintage 00-18 - I have some DVD lessons with a guy playing a beauty, but the early models with a fat neck are just so expensive, collector stuff, so......the mind wandered to cheaper choice.

Apart from actually playing one, haven’t, Covid lockdowns and stuff, we are agonising between a used (recent) 00-18 and a used 00-28 or the  new CEO-9 (same specs as the CEO7 but made with Curly Mangowood and a few upmarket appointments.) OR a new Custom Shop 00-14 in Sinker Mahogany front and back.......

Most likely is the 00-28 with rosewood/sitka, which is why I dragged the HD28V out of the closet...rosewood, rosewood, rosewood, I prefer something less.....boring? Until you have a Martin in your hands.......ha...party over. One is at a shop I have been to once, didn’t like, years ago.....45 mins drive away but need the virus suit and a bucket of sprays and chemical deterrents.....

BluesKing777.

8 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Well, I go in phases of liking a Martin sound and being a bit bored with it - I mean, it is on just about EVERYTHING since recordings began....so had to come up with something fresh.

BUT, fantastically fresh but still Martin is my CEO7 - my fave L-00 shape bu with a great Mod V neck and wide bridge spacing etc. I had mine setup when I got a K&K Trinity installed and it is now an all round sensation....great to play, sounds good acoustically, sounds good plugged in.

So the mind started to wander towards buying a vintage 00-18 - I have some DVD lessons with a guy playing a beauty, but the early models with a fat neck are just so expensive, collector stuff, so......the mind wandered to cheaper choice.

Apart from actually playing one, haven’t, Covid lockdowns and stuff, we are agonising between a used (recent) 00-18 and a used 00-28 or the  new CEO-9 (same specs as the CEO7 but made with Curly Mangowood and a few upmarket appointments.) OR a new Custom Shop 00-14 in Sinker Mahogany front and back.......

Most likely is the 00-28 with rosewood/sitka, which is why I dragged the HD28V out of the closet...rosewood, rosewood, rosewood, I prefer something less.....boring? Until you have a Martin in your hands.......ha...party over. One is at a shop I have been to once, didn’t like, years ago.....45 mins drive away but need the virus suit and a bucket of sprays and chemical deterrents.....

BluesKing777.

I've been trimming down the herd including the Martins. I'm down to three Martins.  I kept these three mainly because I like the necks better than the ones that left. CS-D41-15 and a Custom M body all koa both with Performing Artist neck profile then a HD40MS with a neck shape  similar to the PA.

MLO -  PA necks......hmmm.....

I can cook in any kitchen, had a flat once where the front door hit the stove if you opened it too far, but you know, I had a view of the bay through green plastic curtains! But I just saw an outdoor kitchen on TV with the ‘works’ that looked incredible, easy 4 x the size of my roomy current kitchen. In the skinny kitchen, having that door open let the cooking smells out while cooking on the grill outside has the same result!

While most fingerpickers on AGF and the UMGF seem to prefer the Mod V Martin neck to the MLO standard neck, I prefer my chunky V neck Waterloos (which are exactly the same shape as my 1935 Gibson L50 Black Special but nicer to play being newer and more loved).

But if a recent used Custom Shop Martin 00-14 all Sinker Mahogany hit the sales lists, well, I can happily fingerpick on that MLO, I can assure you!!!

BluesKing777.

P.S. There will be NO delivery business from Che BK777.....

Summer here, Boss wanted outdoor lounge like her brother’s, so we went Dutch on it for Xmas.....ordered from a hardware about 5 miles away.....message that it won’t get here for Xmas - 28th! But...nothing....tracking said ‘in transit’....

5 January, my mobile rang at 10am, twice....no message left. ....2.30 pm in deep sleep in granny nap and there is a gentle tap tap on the door, so I yelled out for the Boss to get the door but by the time she got there, truck was driving off...no note, zip.

She rang them and they said it would not be back til the next day, so I went back to bed and sleep and......knock, knock, he is back.

And the 2 chairs, 2 ottomans, one table and all the cushions are in ONE gigantic box weighing about 400 pounds and the driver came alone..........

I have sprained my right wrist a bit.....and what do I do with all this wrapping and a giant torn up box?

No more Moron deliveries.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

5 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

MLO -  PA necks......hmmm.....

While most fingerpickers on AGF and the UMGF seem to prefer the Mod V Martin neck to the MLO standard neck, I prefer my chunky V neck ........,,,I can happily fingerpick on that MLO, I can assure you!!!

BluesKing777.

I used to dive into the deep end. Nowadays I hang out in the kiddie pool. Age has a way of creeping up on you. 

48 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I used to dive into the deep end. Nowadays I hang out in the kiddie pool. Age has a way of creeping up on you. 

I don’t really know, but I have a houseful of different necks and if I keep rotating around the various, I am fine but if I stick on a narrow neck for weeks and weeks, like my 59 LG3 for example, then jump to a big V, well......tendons and muscles complain and hurt! Like going away for 4 weeks and taking.....egads!!!....one guitar! And I get bored with one guitar real quick, ha ha, worldly troubles.

Moot point anyway - with lockdowns since the virus hit, haven’t been anywhere! We all got let out for a few weeks after full lockdown, but somebody spread it everywhere again......but in the short days of freedom, I went for a few scenic drives, very nice, but not far luckily because my back was aching bad...not used to long drives!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 1/6/2021 at 5:38 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

According to the majority here all my guitars bridges are on the wrong way like the one that is two posts above that was taken outside.

Since BK777 posted about a Martin the thread will die a quick death. That guitar is a beauty. A HD from CFM is on my list of stuff I want and another 000 and a 00 and ...

When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.   

10 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

Nice version of that classic...I like the Martin I have just a standard and like it just fine but I have always liked the herring bone trim.

All mine are Standard models as well. Most if not all HD's usually means it has scalloped braces as well had Herringbone trim.

The first post of my thread had the track I recorded while playing as I read the music page.....whether it is any good or not doesn’t matter but I am doing it! Reading music off a ‘chart’  live while recording!

Never a mention of sheet music here, so I assume I must be the only music reader on this forum. Mistake I made in the first post is putting the photos up.

Anyway, get on it and learn some music notation - I doubt anyone would ever regret it. It is communication.....I mean, if I gave a page of guitar TAB to my old piano player or sax player to play, they would think I had lost my mind. Give them a page of music or even a Real Book song chart and away they went! Magic! 

You can own guitars but you are not a musician unless you learn...ha, music notation. It opens so many doors and basic music reading is so easy. It can take a while before you do the rock opera....🙃

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

I've always been plodder when it comes to playing.  I was fortunate to have parents who gave me weekly guitar lessons for a couple of years. Major part was learning to read/play notation.   I'm indebted to my parents and my music teacher, because I never would have gotten to 2nd base  without being able to buy and read the dozens of Folk Song books I did and play any song I wanted.    Took me awhile to learn slides, hammering and bending -   and I can see if someone actually has talent, they might become a better player sooner without having to sit down and practice scales up the neck based on the actual musical notes.  

That is fantastic, 40YP!

My mother played piano and violin very haltingly after learning when a child and revisiting later. My father played very haltingly and not much with a banjo mandolin he was given as a child. I pestered for guitar lessons for years and had bongo on the back of my acoustic down pat! Plus the riff from Smoke On The Water, Satisfaction and In-A-Garda-DaVida 😎 from the experts at school!

But mum wanted me to get their money’s  worth from guitar lessons and made sure the place I went to taught music notation. It was a large class that dwindled rapidly over the first term and the teacher taught us the music notes at the same time we played the guitar.......for example, music for low 6 string E, F, G etc. Brilliantly simple, eh? You don’t get the honey until you pay the money! Later there were simple music notes in chords with chord diagrams on top. We had to buy the sheet music and play from that. The songs were woeful and pure torture. But it was organic from the very beginning - simple sight reading while playing, though others would not have called it that.

No idea what the teacher’s name is now, but thanks for a good start! The rest you teach yourself over the years as it comes up.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777