Gibson Brands Forums

David Bowie Ashes to Ashes

IanHenry

I am a HUGE fan of his 2002 album Heathen. 

Unbelievable songs and textures in that one, and the musicians who contributed are just fabulous people. 

The band that toured that album included Earl Slick and Gerry Leonard on guitar and Gail Ann Dorsey on bass. 
Those live performances (easily found on youTube) are some of the best I have ever seen. 

🙂

3 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Bowie never made a bad album, its just some were better than others.

Tonight is pretty awful, and did he really need to cover a Beach Boys song? The album he toured for when I saw him, Never Let Me Down was not to good. Low, on the songs Bowie sings on are good, but if I'm in the mood for ambient stuff,  I'll listen to an album from Eno. Station To Station and Young Americans are my favs. I really wish he didn't cover Across The Universe on YA.

But fame does make a man take things over

• Like 1

In about '74/'75 I had a girl friend who was a big fan of his so I took her to see him at a big stadium show in Chicago.  It was Spiders from Mars era and there were extreme costumes, light show, smoke machines, but you could tell most of the band personnel were pretty wasted and the performance was sloppy and I wasn't too impressed.  A few years later he came back to Chicago with a different show.  Just drummer, bass, guitar, snyth and him singing.  They just stood there in plain black tuxedos and performed - none of the crazy trappings of the previous show I had seen.  It was I think, the tightest live rock performance I ever saw.  Not one out of tune note, not one beat off anywhere simply amazing.

I always felt that anyone could do anything in the studio with a million takes, and punch ins and overdubs etc.  But the true measure of a band's ability was their live shows.

He also wrote a book which later was made into a movie - "The Man Who Fell to Earth".  It was science fiction, but what I remember about it was that the title character made his fortune on Earth from the disposable camera.  The book also came out sometime in the 70s and we didn't have disposable cameras yet.  But 10  years later they were all the rage.  Bowie was always ahead of his time and thinking outside the box.

• Like 1