Gibson Brands Forums

Amplify Acoustic?

pawlowski6132

Everytime I search using keywords: Acoustic, Amplifier, I get back information which assumes I have a pickup on my guitar. Simply, I want to understand combo amp options to let me plug in a microphone which is picking up my acoustic guitar.

Doesn't anybody do this?? Maybe there's a good reason I can't find any information.

thanx in advance for all your advice.

jrp

Hi jrp,

so, what you would want to look at would be acoustic amps like the Fishman Loudbox, or the Fender Acoustasonic series.  These all have mic and 1/4" jack inputs.

Some of the larger combos have two channels, which accommodate XLR and/or 1/4" inputs.

I'm sure there are some people doing this, but these days, it's almost HARD to buy an acoustic without a pickup.  Doable, but most have them already installed.

Edited by kidblast

There are a number of acoustic guitar amplifiers that will enable you to acoustically mic your guitar as they have an input for an acoustic guitar pickup as well as an input for a microphone.  Acoustic guitar amplifiers are basically just mini PA systems.  You could also use the acoustic guitar pickup input to plug a microphone into, to add a second microphone (besides in the allocated mic input) provided the input isn’t on an effects setting.  (Note:  No effects is sometimes called instrument setting on the guitar input control.). Acoustic guitar amplifiers differ from electric guitar amplifiers in that they are basically just PAs.  Where electric guitar amp circuitry makes them not just pure PA systems.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

54 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I'm sure there are some people doing this, but these days, it's almost HARD to buy an acoustic without a pickup.  Doable, but most have them already installed.

Not CFM's. All 6 of mine no pup, and they came that way. And of the other 5 CFM's I owned only one came with a pup and it was bought used and was not a factory pup. About 5 mins after I got that guitar home the stings were off and the pup and battery pack went in the trash.

But I do understand people need then to gig with.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I always was interested in the Rivera Sedona amp.  Not cheap though - even the Lite version.  Most of my guitars did not even come equipped with a neck strap button never mind electronics.  Only guitar I own which came with a factory installed pickup is a 1956 Harmony H40 which has a Gibson P13 installed underneath the fingerboard extension.  Four large screws holding it in.

Harmony-H40-pickup.jpg

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Mic. I have '47 L7 and a '94 J100. Both w/o pup. I will need some amplication for both. I have a mic.

thanx!

What is the end result you are hoping for - a surprise for the family next Christmas, or to jump up to play at an open mic, or full on gigging equipment?

The answer could sway the replies.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

42 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

What is the end result you are hoping for - a surprise for the family next Christmas, or to jump up to play at an open mic, or full on gigging equipment?

The answer could sway the replies.

BluesKing777.

Good question.

Surprise for Family next Christmas? Nope. They wouldn't appreciate it. I tried a little of that this year and my wife said it didn't sound right. 😣

Jup up to play at an open mic night? Nope. Too shy.

Full on gigging equipment? Nope. Not in the near future.

Requirements are small jam sessions with friends. Style = 70% Jazz Standards (L7), 30% Rock/Blues (J100)*

*Will also have 330T through other amp.

thanx

1 hour ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Good question.

Surprise for Family next Christmas? Nope. They wouldn't appreciate it. I tried a little of that this year and my wife said it didn't sound right. 😣

Jup up to play at an open mic night? Nope. Too shy.

Full on gigging equipment? Nope. Not in the near future.

Requirements are small jam sessions with friends. Style = 70% Jazz Standards (L7), 30% Rock/Blues (J100)*

*Will also have 330T through other amp.

thanx

I'm still a little unclear about what you want and what you already have....

So I am guessing you have a little amp that you play your electric guitar through at the friendly jam and now would like to play your acoustic archtops at the same place?

You may or may not have tried your mic (what model?) through the amp (what model?) and couldn't get it to work or sound good?

BluesKing777.

I have a small amp and electric guitar - Check that box.

I have:

1. Acoustic guitars w/o pups

2. Rode NT1-A

Just looking for some guidance like,

"Just get an XLR to 1/4in adapter and use your regular guitar amp, everyone does it and it's the most common approach" or,

"You'll need a dedicated acoustic/pa/keyboard amp that accepts XLR input"

"Don't bother, just get a pickukp and plug into your guitar amp"

thanx

38 minutes ago, pawlowski6132 said:

I have a small amp and electric guitar - Check that box.

I have:

1. Acoustic guitars w/o pups

2. Rode NT1-A

Just looking for some guidance like,

"Just get an XLR to 1/4in adapter and use your regular guitar amp, everyone does it and it's the most common approach" or,

"You'll need a dedicated acoustic/pa/keyboard amp that accepts XLR input"

"Don't bother, just get a pickukp and plug into your guitar amp"

thanx

You could try the first suggestion and see how you get on. The mic will probably need very different settings than your electric guitar - try at home alone first! If it works you might find some little A/B switching gadget to help.

Then number 3 suggestion if the first fails.

Then number 2...you will have to carry 2 amps around...sound quality versus portability. Electric guitar pickups can sound awful in acoustic amps and acoustic guitar pickups can sound awful in electric guitar amps....totally different requirements. So buying an acoustic amp with mic and guitar channel may not sound so good for the electric guitar.....

BluesKing777.

7 hours ago, pawlowski6132 said:

Mic. I have '47 L7 and a '94 J100. Both w/o pup. I will need some amplication for both. I have a mic.

thanx!

I suggest a soundhole pickup that you can switch between the two guitars as you desire.  You can let the cord hang out from the soundhole with them and merely attached with two screws on the soundhole pickup that hold the device onto the guitar without any modification to the guitar itself.  Personally, if you’ll be playing along with an electric guitar player, I recommend a magnetic soundhole pickup rather than a passive soundhole pickup.  All acoustic guitar pickups change the acoustic sound to some degree and a magnetic soundhole pickup will ensure you are on par with an electric guitar’s volume and presence, should you want to pick a few leads.  I recommend a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker Soundhole pickup.  They sell for under $200, can be put on and taken off a guitar in about three minutes, and don’t damage the guitar at all.  And, sound great...almost like a classic P90 pickup if you want them to.   Others may recommend a passive soundhole pickup and those can be good, too, but I like the Fishman one and switch mine between my guitars, whichever guitar I use at gigs.  As you mentioned jazz music, if you turn the treble tone control down (and the bass control up) on your acoustic amp, you can get a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker soundhole pickup to produce a classic hollow body electric sweet sound the likes of Wes Montgomery, Barney Kessell, Kenny Burrell, Howard Roberts, Grant Green, etc. out of your acoustic guitar with it.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Your original question was how to amplify your acoustic with your microphone:

I like the Fender Acoustic 100 amp. They don't seem to currently offer different sizes.

If you look at the amp section of any online store and filter it to "acoustic" (not the brand), you'll find many similar options across a range of prices and sizes. Most of them will have an XLR input (or a combination XLR input); you just want one that gives you the same tone adjustments options on that channel as on the 1/4" channel, if it isn't a combination.

The Rode NT1a will sound great on your guitars, but so will your friend’s guitars and their conversation at your jam  - it is a very sensitive mic. If there is percussion or bass guitar, you are lost!

Be ok if you played on your own, but people get pickups for this reason plus the mic feedback and squeals that can happen.

You just have to try it for yourself. Plug your Rode into your amp when you get the right plug and see if you like it.

The Fishman soundhole pickup will work on your J100 but your L7 doesn’t have a soundhole......there use to be an archtop pickup that was a bridge with a pickup that you swapped out your floating bridge. Look them up.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I agree with Questionmark on a soundhole pickup.  Many are held in place by springs or clips so no need to do any kind of moficiation to the guitar.  Big advantage is you can plug them into any amp you want.  If you find yourself playing a lot plugged in you can just have a jack installed in pace of the endpin.  I have lived on a steady diet of Dearmonds since the 1960s.  Not the most acoustic sounding of pickups but I loved the sound of one plugged into a 1955 Fender Twin..

Edited by zombywoof

if your using a standard guitar amp, the thing to do will be getting the cabling from XLR converted to unbalanced, (1/4" input)

there are adapters to accomplish this: Hosa GXP-246 XLR Male to 1/4" TRS Male Adapter | Sweetwater

then any old omnidirectional mic (like an sm57) should get you something.  Or  just try what you have,  as mentioned that mic you say you have already is going to pick up any sound in the room.

so the sm57 or similar may be the thing to try.  I'd bet one of the guys you jam with probably has one or three, or five of those kind of mics hanging around collecting dust.

You may or may not be pleased with the results but it'd not cost a lot of dough to try.