Gibson Brands Forums

G-45 discontinued?

Randwulf

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is because back then LP's were not selling and put on a pedestal like they are now. Slash made people want LP's again.

I'm not sure about Slash,  there were a ton of us that were old f--ks grabbig up LPs long before flash,, er,, slash and GnR ever made the scene..

regarding the stoppage of LP builds,, there were circumstances unrelated to marketing and sales to compound the decision.

1:  was Les wasn't happy with the Les Paul v2 (which is now the SG) so he told them remove his name,  and 2: Contractual loop holes with wrt the fallout in the divorce from Mary Ford where his Attorneys advised his name be removed to avoid her getting a piece of that cake..  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I'm not sure about Slash,  there were a ton of us that were old f--ks grabbig up LPs long before flash,, er,, slash and GnR ever made the scene..

regarding the stoppage of LP builds,, there were circumstances unrelated to marketing and sales to compound the decision.

1:  was Les wasn't happy with the Les Paul v2 (which is now the SG) so he told them remove his name,  and 2: Contractual loop holes with wrt the fallout in the divorce from Mary Ford where his Attorneys advised his name be removed to avoid her getting a piece of that cake..  

Sure people were playing LP's, but after AFD that was when it went nuts.

No, the Slash Effect is way overstated.  Les Pauls were always in demand, the vintage ones were just as stupid money the day before the first GnR record as they were the day after the first GnR record.  Les Pauls were not selling, Les was about to get a divorce and he did not want his wife getting any future money from him based on that guitar.  The SG and the legend that he didn't like it didn't come until after they had stopped the LP and had nothing to do with the demise of the LP.

rct

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jvi said:

as for the g 45,   as long as Gibson puts out an affordable slope they can call it something different when they like as long as they make one....imo

Right now the least expensive Gibson acoustic is $1650 vs the least expensive USA made Martin at $1300. You can get Mex. Martin's for $500, and less if you want a baby guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 1 year later...

I purchased a first generation Gibson G-45 in Feb. of 2020...In Jan. of 2021, I had to return it to the retailer for repair...The fretboard sank into the sound hole from 12th to 20th fret...Also endpin/guitar cord insertion recepticle fell off completely ....Guitar, still under warranty, was repaired at no cost to me (except shipping to and from)...Fast forward to Feb 24th 2022.....Same fretboard problem happened again....Am totally disgusted....and, SURPRISE,...I've learned that Gibson has stopped production of this model...Inquiries to Gibson, Inc. have gone un answered!!!....I am currently in legal battle with retailer for retrieval of money spent for this guitar or some kind of satisfaction....I believe Gibson marketed a new product line which has engineering flaws, quality control failure and  insufficient testing and playing time trials...By the way ...I own 12 other Gibson guitars: acoustics, Les Pauls, SG's, hollow and solid bodies and a ES-335. All are stored in a climate controlled room and have NEVER had any problems with any of them...Hey Gibson...you should be ashamed to do such a rotten thing to your loyal customers...

• 1 year later...

I purchased a new G-45 studio and the setup was horrible with the buzz actually muting the B & E strings. The guitar shop could not adjust it out and said to send it back to Gibson.  I contacted Gibson 4 times with no reply. Now, I’m stuck with a new $1,000. Guitar I can’t use. I found Gibson will not stand behind their products. I own a songbird deluxe which is a good guitar and the G45 studio was to be a practice guitar. Do not buy this guitar, the necks have problems and warranty is no good.

5 hours ago, Tommyboy1 said:

I purchased a new G-45 studio and the setup was horrible with the buzz actually muting the B & E strings. The guitar shop could not adjust it out and said to send it back to Gibson.  I contacted Gibson 4 times with no reply. Now, I’m stuck with a new $1,000. Guitar I can’t use. I found Gibson will not stand behind their products. I own a songbird deluxe which is a good guitar and the G45 studio was to be a practice guitar. Do not buy this guitar, the necks have problems and warranty is no good.

The retailer is the one who should take care of the warranty.
Did you go to Gibson's website and register the guitar? 

When your Ford F-150 has warranty issues do you call direct to Detroit to the Ford Plant, or do you go back to the dealership?

Take the guitar back to the place you bought it, its them you need to deal with.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper