Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody use these people for pick guards?

Paul14

2 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

i had a horrible experience there. the guard wasn’t cut right, the radius was wrong, it took a while, and they still fought the return. 

trust me... for a prized gibson spend the sixty bucks or so and contact taylor mullins at holter pick guards. i think he has a website and he is on facebook. 

the work is better than factory. 

I agree. NOT a good company to do business with. I experienced high prices, long waits for arrival, poor quality, and very sluggish response from them ...stay away.  I use LMI in the link posted below. Although covid has caused them to greatly reduce the number of pick guards at this time....they are high quality, arrive on time and look beautiful. They used to make Gibson, Martin and Taylor guards....if you call them perhaps they will make a special order on what you want.

https://www.lmii.com/457-pickguards-pre-shaped

I don't think they fade, I think these guys get it right.  I'll probably have to succumb and see about replacing mine,  it's got one spot that continues to lift on my j200.

I am first going to try just adding a wedge of 3m dbl sided tape and see if that takes care of it.  Wish Gibson would find a way to fix this,  no other guitars I've ever had, have this issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ALD323 said:

I agree. NOT a good company to do business with. I experienced high prices, long waits for arrival, poor quality, and very sluggish response from them ...stay away.  I use LMI in the link posted below. Although covid has caused them to greatly reduce the number of pick guards at this time....they are high quality, arrive on time and look beautiful. They used to make Gibson, Martin and Taylor guards....if you call them perhaps they will make a special order on what you want.

https://www.lmii.com/457-pickguards-pre-shaped

Like Jedzep mentions, Taylor will cut you a pickguard, but it will not have the fancy embossing.. 

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Are you kidding !?

The guy is blacklisted here. 

On a personal level I ordered a CW guard some years ago - and got something completely off.  It didn't even fit.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           The seller denied the mistake and an only after an official eBay-case I got my cash back.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   It was in the same period of time the membership was cancelled for something that hadn't to do with me. 

You'll probably still be able to find the FOX-logo on these pages if you search 4-5 years backwards.                   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

It occurred to me that it might be the process of embossing the J200, H'Bird, Dove pick guards that causes them to curl.  It doesn't seem the plain, flat ones have this problem.  

My Dove is a 2007. The problem is not curling, or lifting. The problem is the design has disappeared on the lower end of the guard.

I didn't know that was your reason for wanting to replace the guard,  usually folks accept some wear and only talk about replacing when the edges  curl.  Mine is worn away a bit in what I think is the same location as yours - because I tend to rest my pinky there.   Gibson introduced a guard in recent years in which the design was imbedded/sealed.  But the guard is thicker. Sounds like you have one of the more traditional ones.   If your  design is 'etched' with paint filled in  - it is possible, for someone with a steady hand' to fill it  back in with a light touch using a fine brush, wiping off the excess.  On some of the original guards, that is how they apply the design.   Probably need an 'artist' to do it - matching the color, etc.    I would never attempt it, but some here have.   

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I didn't know that was your reason for wanting to replace the guard,  usually folks accept some wear and only talk about replacing when the edges  curl.  Mine is worn away a bit in what I think is the same location as yours - because I tend to rest my pinky there.   Gibson introduced a guard in recent years in which the design was imbedded/sealed.  But the guard is thicker. Sounds like you have one of the more traditional ones.   If your  design is 'etched' with paint filled in  - it is possible, for someone with a steady hand' to fill it  back in with a light touch using a fine brush, wiping off the excess.  On some of the original guards, that is how they apply the design.   Probably need an 'artist' to do it - matching the color, etc.    I would never attempt it, but some here have.   

My J-200 is a 2000.  My Dove is 2007. Yes they both have the thinner guards. Not sure I want to spend $500 to replace the pickguard though.  I live in an area where there are lots of painters, & musicians. Getting someone to repaint it is a possibility? Matching the paint could be another problem. The faded flowers don’t bother me really, but if it could be easily fixed I would be up for it.  Like Kristofferson said,,,” if it don’t come easy now, it ain’t worth fighting for!”  

• Like 1

Just found the entire correspondence regarding this company, FOX guitars.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Both the dialogues with the seller and eBay assistants after he withdrew - simply closed his profile. It is a long dark exhausting affair. 

He sold me a guard which on 2 points didn't match the description - thus didn't fit the guitar either. Then he tried to escape. 

I was on thin ice with close to 70 USD lost (including shipping, before customs) - and only after a long dialogue with eBay (who immaculately helped) I got the basic amount back. Not the shipping - not the local customs, which I had suggested we split.

So in reality he still owes me 42. Are you watching FOX guitars !? - you still owe me 42 dollars. 

The man called himself Paul Fox.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...