Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Tribute neck angle

Vitreous

Hello again. This is the same guitar with the odd crack/shim/split in the truss rod. Maybe I’m being too picky for a “budget” instrument? The neck angle is so steep I have to crank up the bridge to get the strings to clear the fretboard. Is this anything to be concerned over long term? 

Unrelated I’m also getting the static on the neck while playing. I have a newborn so I play through a Fractal FM3 with headphones so it’s noticeable when playing clean settings.  There also some finish imperfections like the top of the headstock being rough and unfinished etc. For reference my other electric is a Chinese Hagstrom Super Swede that has none of these issues.

Am I expecting too much for a guitar that used to cost 699 a few years ago but is 1,100 now? 

7B47DA4D-ECCC-4A97-8CD7-69223A8BA1A0.jpeg

44C4A632-FD4D-493B-80F6-FF2CE41EFBA8.jpeg

Have you checked the relief yet?

See how much relief it has if any.

Also, copper shielding the entire electronics cavity and back of the pickguard got rid of the static on my 2019 Gibson bass.

I have seen bridges that high before.

Edited by Lungimsam

Yeah, the relief is good. Playability is actually fine. Action isn’t as low as the Hagstrom but I think they have a proprietary truss rod that allows for very low action. I love the small shape and light weight of the SG. I ordered some copper foil tape which I’ll try when I get it. 

6 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

Think you mean clear the bridge pickup, not board

Neck pickup is quite low, bridge pickup looks pretty high, 

I raised the bridge pickup to match the height of the bridge. If the bridge was much lower the strings would buzz and fret out on the lower frets. 

Hi,

The bridge needs to only as high as necessary to have the action correct (or your preference). This should be done after any truss rod adjustment. If you don't need any adjustment then fine.  

I'm a Hagstrom user too (Deuce), and I think it compares well to Les Pauls (I dont own a SG). Of course the Gibson fingerboards are not as flat, wide or firm. They are more elegant and easy in feel though. But 58 classics sound even more Gibson than 57 classics to my ears.

The ideal neck angle is when you can set the bridge to the lowest setting and with a straightedge placed on the neck as well as attempting to place on a bridge saddle, the straightedge should just touch the top of the saddle. If you lay the straightedge on the neck and set the other end of it on a saddle and you see a gap, this is how much the neck angle is out. This is how you figure out how to tip a Fender neck with a shim or their tilt function on some of the American guitars. Obviously, SGs have a set neck so you get what you get. Your guitar is not in my hands but by the looks of it, doesn’t look great TBH. Probably won’t get much worse over time I would imagine, but your action setting range will be limited. By the looks of it, probably going to have an issue getting higher string action - usually the opposite problem that other bolt-on necks suffer from that have bad neck angles. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

Yeah, his bottom picture shows the neck at a crazy angle to the body of the guitar.  Clearly, this is a guitar design issue, and not related to the nuances of neck relief.  It certainly isn't the height of the bridge pup which can, of course, be adjusted.  

44C4A632-FD4D-493B-80F6-FF2CE41EFBA8.jpeg