Gibson Brands Forums

Richie Haven's thumb

SteveFord

I'm surprised you never noticed that about him till now.  [omg]  And SARGE;

I usually "thumb wrap" over on the 6th instead of using barre chords in most cases.  I used to be sorta self conscious about it until I saw Hendrix usually do that too.  [wink]

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Cant hear anything on there, but open tunings a cert.

But surely, you MUST have heard it here?  ----------------

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'm surprised you never noticed that about him till now.  [omg]  And SARGE;

I usually "thumb wrap" over on the 6th instead of using barre chords in most cases.  I used to be sorta self conscious about it until I saw Hendrix usually do that too.  [wink]

But surely, you MUST have heard it here?  ----------------

Whitefang

Absolutely. It was this recording that made me realise that Ritchie Haven is likely the fastest guitarist of all.

An he'd be twice as fast if he played a 12 string.

• Haha 1

Fastest?  Well, in the STRUMMING category for sure.  [wink]

And he's not the only one who's used that "open tuned/one digit" style either.  [wink]  Joni Mitchell, for one, often used an open tuning, but used her index finger instead of lapping her thumb over the neck to play chords.  And she also added other elements too...

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Fastest?  Well, in the STRUMMING category for sure.  [wink]

And he's not the only one who's used that "open tuned/one digit" style either.  [wink]  Joni Mitchell, for one, often used an open tuning, but used her index finger instead of lapping her thumb over the neck to play chords.  And she also added other elements too...

Whitefang

I think it was Dave Evans who worked out how many notes he played per second on a particular instrumental. He wrote it on his album sleeve notes. So when I saw Ritchie blitz his guitar like that, I reckoned he was playing more notes per sec than Dave Evans. So when I ever heard people argue about who's fastest, I usually 'nope, they got to go a long way to catch Ritchie Havens.

As for Joni open tunings. Yes In my first year of guitar playing I would constantly changed between concert, open D, G, C and A (went through a set of strings every 2 weeks) playing stuff like Chelsea Morning, Rabbit Hills etc from back in the day.

Sad news about Joni. I had no idea about that illness.

16 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Sad news about Joni. I had no idea about that illness.

She suffered a brain aneurysm in 2015.  Very serious.

But this interview is fairly recent - there's been a lot of press about the 50th anniversary of the release of "Blue".

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/27/joni-mitchell-interview-archives-early-years-cameron-crowe

Edited by jdgm

A guy I used to work with developed that illness after I left and I'm told he was always trying to cut the imaginary fibers growing out of his arms with a Leatherman tool and then yank them out.  

The owner of the dealership eventually paid him to not return to work.

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

She was pretty messed up last time she was in the news:

https://www.livescience.com/50359-joni-mitchell-morgellons-disease.html

I was once seriously bothered by the sensation of what felt like thousands of tiny mites invading my face and eyes so bad I went to the ER.  The quack there suggested it might be Morgellon's and advised me to see a psychiatrist.  But later that month, a dermatologist said it was a form of rosacea.  A compound lotion formula helped a lot.  I at first had no idea what Morgllon's was so I looked it up.  And discovered, nope.  Ain't my problem.

It does sound messed up and I feel real bad for her.

Whitefang