Gibson Brands Forums

Neighborhood gig

uncle fester

I'm advised we have a 'gig' next weekend but its at the school of audio engineering. Strange that. ...my message said we play all our songs (an hour set) and don't get paid - so that's normal for a gig - but we get multi angle video and full pro multi track recording (whatever that means) - so i don't know if its a gig in front of people or us providing as basis for the students to do their practical exams or what?

Anyway, since we've barely rehearsed for months it should be a laugh and worth a drive to the coast for a musical afternoon.... [smile]

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 'Scales said:

I'm advised we have a 'gig' next weekend but its at the school of audio engineering. Strange that. ...my message said we play all our songs (an hour set) and don't get paid - so that's normal for a gig - but we get multi angle video and full pro multi track recording (whatever that means) - so i don't know if its a gig in front of people or us providing as basis for the students to do their practical exams or what?

Anyway, since we've barely rehearsed for months it should be a laugh and worth a drive to the coast for a musical afternoon.... [smile]

Scales, will you post it once it's done?

Say what?   You don't get paid except for a recording of your performance?    I suppose that could be worth it if your band hasn't the equipment or the means to pay someone else to do that, which could be considered ample compensation.  Especially if the posting of that video and recording nets you more offers.  And if there are other people there, some possible "word of mouth" might be helpful too.  [wink]   And who knows....

Maybe they'll treat you to lunch(or dinner...you didn't mention time of day).

Whitefang

[laugh] 12:30pm at the uber-flash town of Byron Bay - I'll be taking a couple of beers at any rate.

Just a bunch of ambition-free middle-aged hackers making our original alternate rock noise...but it would be cool to get a decent recording for posterity.

...all subject to our state government's current enthusiasm for Covid lockdowns so I'll practice a bit through the week but not count on it happening until I'm standing there plugged in.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:47 AM, NighthawkChris said:

No neighborhood gigs here, but going to see GnR at Comerica Park (home of Detroit Tigers) this Sunday...  Looking forward to it as this has been postponed for quite some time (since June of 2020).  Planning on buying a ton of band memorabilia there too... 

Hope its good! that field always looks good on the baseball being right down town from memory. Here in Oz the GnR gig later this years starts at c$150US for the crap seats...no thanks.  I can see its much more reasonable in Detroit though. Have fun!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Hope its good! that field always looks good on the baseball being right down town from memory. Here in Oz the GnR gig later this years starts at c$150US for the crap seats...no thanks.  I can see its much more reasonable in Detroit though. Have fun!

I owe my bud $115 and I don’t think we have a bad spot to see the band. I know very little as I was asked if I wanted to go, and I said hell yeah!

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I owe my bud $115 and I don’t think we have a bad spot to see the band. I know very little as I was asked if I wanted to go, and I said hell yeah!

[omg] What!!  Not HELLS yeah?  :rolleyes:

Never understood that.   

Personally, I wouldn't cross the street to see GnR.  For free or if I was paid to.  But, as the man said....

"To each........"(etc.)  [wink]  I do hope you have a good time though.  

Whitefang

34 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Never understood that.   

Personally, I wouldn't cross the street to see GnR.  For free or if I was paid to.  But, as the man said....

Whitefang

Lol that’s cool man you aren’t a fan. I’ve been brutally honest about how I’ve felt about Metallica and even the members. And thanks for the sentiments about having a good time - I hope we do. Doing stuff just feels different today… I don’t think we will ever return to “normal”. Life as we know it has changed and I don’t like it at all. 

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Never understood that.   

Whitefang

Yeah,  I bet some here feel the same way about MC5.      Have a good time tonight NHChris ! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, since two of the 5 are dead and the rest old and scattered,  that's not a concern.  And I still remember when all I had to do was sit on my porch to hear 'em.  But they had a different name then and played the current top 40 of the times. [wink]

22 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Lol that’s cool man you aren’t a fan. I’ve been brutally honest about how I’ve felt about Metallica and even the members. And thanks for the sentiments about having a good time - I hope we do. Doing stuff just feels different today… I don’t think we will ever return to “normal”. Life as we know it has changed and I don’t like it at all. 

But life being what it is, we know that if we just sit tight, "life as we know it" will change yet again, and maybe( or hopefully for some) several more times.  [wink]  Actually.....

I could, if pressed, think of several times in my life when "life as we know it" has changed in ways I didn't like either.   I don't recall ever being given any guarantees.  [cool]

Whitefang