Gibson Brands Forums

Neighborhood gig

uncle fester

Was sitting outside Saturday early afternoon...  and somewhere in the distance could hear a band set up.  They got going on the typical dinosaur rock type of stuff - full band, none of this solo acoustic type stuff, cool to hear.  So I got me to enjoy a nice outdoor gig.  Was a nice way to spend the evening - hope music is coming back for all of you.

My Brother-In-Law is (and has been) in bands since I've known him, (he's been married to my sister for 40 years).

Like everyone, he's been sidelined for like a year and a half.

Two weeks ago, he finally returned to play live with one of the bands he's in....and caught COVID!

He's sick, but he'll be okay.

• Sad 1

I always use to wonder, when I came down with a cold,   "Where did I catch this?"   Did I get it from that  person in the office who should have stayed home and taken a sick day?   Did I get it in the grocery store?   The gas pump handle?   My granddaughter?   I gave up a long time trying to figure it out.  I don't think there would be anymore risk playing in a band, than most of our other regular pursuits. Delta Variant is spreading rapidly, they say.  But, I think that is compared to 3 months ago when we hadn't even heard of it.   I haven't seen  "Corona Virus Deaths"  reported for months, and only anecdotal references to 'increased hospitalizations'.    I think gigs, restaurants and gyms are going to take it in the shorts again though. 

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I always use to wonder, when I came down with a cold,   "Where did I catch this?"   Did I get it from that  person in the office who should have stayed home and taken a sick day?   Did I get it in the grocery store?   The gas pump handle?   My granddaughter?   I gave up a long time trying to figure it out.  I don't think there would be anymore risk playing in a band, than most of our other regular pursuits. Delta Variant is spreading rapidly, they say.  But, I think that is compared to 3 months ago when we hadn't even heard of it.   I haven't seen  "Corona Virus Deaths"  reported for months, and only anecdotal references to 'increased hospitalizations'.    I think gigs, restaurants and gyms are going to take it in the shorts again though. 

Since I don't trust the government even a little, I also don't believe the stats on COVID.

I think the death rates have not increased at all over the last several years....and after all...ya gotta die from SOMETHING!

COVID is real and it's dangerous..... but our response to it is FAR overblown.... probably has caused more deaths than COVID itself.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

The local news broadcasts 'round here report Covid death rates every day.   But that's just deaths in this state.   They report new cases too.  

So, maybe the state of Texas can't pull it's head out of the sand(or it's  a  s s)  to be able to do the same.  [wink]

But, no real neighborhood "gig's on my block(or the next one over).   There is a kid down the street who has some buds come over and "jam" a bit.  But they really do need to practice.  REALLY need to! [blink] 

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

it's starting to return in my neck of the woods unc..  and no dis takin by me, I get it..

That said I'm doing my first solo gig, in 2 years on Saturday..  Kind of phyc'd for it,

there is an open mic that a friend hosts at a pizza place with a huge outside setting..  they started again about a month ago, he's been bugging me to go.. so that is tomorrow night.

I hope this delta nonsense doesn't send us back to March 2020.. 

Just now, kidblast said:

it's starting to return in my neck of the woods unc..  and no dis takin by me, I get it..

That said I'm doing my first solo gig, in 2 years on Saturday..  Kind of phyc'd for it,

there is an open mic that a friend hosts at a pizza place with a huge outside setting..  they started again about a month ago, he's been bugging me to go.. so that is tomorrow night.

Break a leg!

I don't know when or if I'll ever do a live show again.

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Just did it for ya, Rob.  [smile]

Whitefang

Thanks...here's one for you!image.png.5e04f0e495504a550095ccac738ca611.png                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           image.png.5e04f0e495504a550095ccac738ca611.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Its about time your revoked hearts were restored to you, but someone keeps firing that black ball in. 

I know..... now I know what Bob Marley meant when he said:

Sheriff John Brown always hated me
For what I don't know
Every time that I plant a seed
He said, "Kill it before it grows"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

The local news broadcasts 'round here report Covid death rates every day.   But that's just deaths in this state.   They report new cases too.  

So, maybe the state of Texas can't pull it's head out of the sand(or it's  a  s s)  to be able to do the same.  [wink]

But, no real neighborhood "gig's on my block(or the next one over).   There is a kid down the street who has some buds come over and "jam" a bit.  But they really do need to practice.  REALLY need to! [blink] 

Whitefang

WF,   Maybe they’re trying to cover up the thousands of additional cases we get every day due to the Open Border.   

Things are opening-up around here.   My regular gig for over eight years started-up (inside) about two months ago and they’re opening a new location later this year.  I play there tomorrow at noon.  Also, two new coffee shops have opened here in Independence and both are within 3 miles of me.   Still waiting for Caribou Coffee to restart.   Wineries have started again with their music.  Also, playing a nursery (trees, shrubs) in two weeks.  It’s kind of turning into a situation of “How many gigs do you want to play?”

4 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Things are opening-up around here.   My regular gig for over eight years started-up (inside) about two months ago and they’re opening a new location later this year.  I play there tomorrow at noon.  Also, two new coffee shops have opened here in Independence and both are within 3 miles of me.   Still waiting for Caribou Coffee to restart.   Wineries have started again with their music.  Also, playing a nursery (trees, shrubs) in two weeks.  It’s kind of turning into a situation of “How many gigs do you want to play?”

Glad to hear things are opening up for you MP. I don't know what's going to go on wiht this delta variant, but I sure am ready for things to open up.   Lots of breweries and restaurants with live music (mostly single acoustic stuff) I hope we get things back under control and keep seeing more music opportunities.

19 hours ago, kidblast said:

Rock on KB - good luck with the gigs!

19 hours ago, Whitefang said:

There is a kid down the street who has some buds come over and "jam" a bit.  But they really do need to practice.  REALLY need to! [blink] 

Whitefang

That could've been me, sorry.  I've figured out how to work the volume part of an amp, just the playing guitar part is stumping.  Oh well, go with what you know... volume.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, uncle fester said:

That could've been me, sorry.  I've figured out how to work the volume part of an amp, just the playing guitar part is stumping.  Oh well, go with what you know... volume.

Well, if I could have heard your playing,  you must have ONE REALLY POWERFUL  AMP,  or you live REALLY west of Boston!  [omg]  [laugh]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang