Gibson Brands Forums

What is this model ?

FCSM

Looks like a Les Paul to me.  It should have had that printed somewhere on it's headstock.  

But the lack of the Gibson logo on the headstock and the metal tuning keys gives me suspicion it's some kind of "knock-off". 

Whitefang

21 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Looks like a Les Paul to me.  It should have had that printed somewhere on it's headstock.  

But the lack of the Gibson logo on the headstock and the metal tuning keys gives me suspicion it's some kind of "knock-off". 

Whitefang

Thanks! 

Yeah... Looks very much like a fake to me..  Lots of signs.

Unless its a 70s model.....  Does it have a volute in the back of the headstock? Close up pics of the front and back of the headstock would help.

Edited by Rabs

Really hard to tell without more closeups of the headstock, but to me it appears to be a LP Standard, maybe a faded polished out or repainted. A weird thing is the bridge posts seem to have screw slots on top like an Epiphone or Asian Les Paul. Also note that there were quite a few Japanese built Epiphone LP Standards using the Gibson headstock.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6UMuuAKzKgDaELEA0GlJ

Current Les Paul Standard below, notice the narrow bridge.

front-banner-1600_900.png

86 Les Paul Standard notice the small tops on the bridge posts..

1986-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Ebony-8274

Edited by mihcmac

Some sort of knock-off from the 1970's or 1980's. 
Most likely Japanese.  Lawsuit era Hondo, Tokai, Kent, who knows?
Not Gibson. 

Why would I say such a thing?

* As brad1 pointed out, three screws in the truss rod cover. 

* The funky non-Gibson-tune-o-matic-bridge with screws instead of smooth post ends.

* Non-Gibson, decidedly Asian tuners and keys.

* Poor fit on the back covers. 

It's a keeper, if it stays in tune and sounds okay. 
But it's not a Gibson. 

😐

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FCSM said:

Guys, thank you all for the answers! 🤘

FCSM there is always the possibility that our answers are not correct, not knowing the history of the guitar and not being able to see it up close makes it all a guess. If you could find a serial number on th e back of the headstock that could help affirm wether its a Gibson or take it into a guitar store and find out what it is. There are a lot of very qualified people in here commenting on it, most including me are saying it doesn't look like a Gibson. 

Even not being a Gibson worth a few K it still has value as a LP style guitar that may be a lot of fun to play.

Edited by mihcmac