Gibson Brands Forums

Any info on a Gibson Les Paul Standard serial number 81189581 ?

Manuel Baptista

Manuel Baptista,

If genuine, that serial number simply tells us that the guitar was made at the Gibson plant in Nashville, TN on April 28th, 1989. 

See if you can post some photos of the rest of the guitar. 

All you have to do, in this website anyway, is to copy and paste the photo link as plain text. 

🙂

Correction : Serial Number = 81169561

What can you tell me about the quality of the guitars manufactured in Nashville those days?

This is supposed to be all original. I noticed the 's' in the Gibson logo at the headstock, it seems to have been damaged somehow...

Another question : it weights around 4,2 Kg, very similar to my LP Classic from 2004 (and this one has a weight relief, confirmed by the guy who sold it to me). Is it possible that this LP Standard has a similar weight? 

I tried it with a Marshal JCM800 and it was magical that sound !!!

Edited by Manuel Baptista

Very good.  Thing is that all years produce good and bad guitars.

What I can tell you is that Gibson got new owners in about 1983... Henry J...  At the time he pretty much saved the company  from going down the drain and while I wasnt in to guitars then a lot of people say the guitars he made in those early days were really really good..

From those pics.. Thats a really nice guitar you have there and you dont find so many from those days on the market in what appears to be mint condition.

And yes, Gibson and Marshall go together like no other. They roar.

Happy playing [thumbup]

Okay, just one thing, Manuel. 

Can you request a clearer photo of the Tune-0-Matic bridge?

The guitar looks legit in many ways, and is indeed beautiful. 
I think it's genuine. 

But I want to see if the studs on the bridge feature smooth pins (signs of a real Gibson) or a slotted as in a screw-driver adjustable type application. 
Slotted like a screwdriver is a red flag, and I can't tell from the photos what's going on there. 

This (below) is genuine. 

top-wrapping-les-paul.jpg

Edited by sparquelito
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sparquelito, I'll try to get a photo exactly with the angle you mentioned above.

But I see the example has a wrap around tailpiece which is not the case for the one in question - I understand you are interested only on the bridge...

I'll send it ASAP.

Edited by Manuel Baptista

33 minutes ago, Manuel Baptista said:

Thanks Sparquelito, I'll try to get a photo exactly with the angle you mentioned above.

But I see the example has a wrap around tailpiece which is not the case for the one in question - I understand you are interested only on the bridge...

I'll send it ASAP.

That pic above is not a wrap around tailpiece its a normal one that has been whats called "top wrapped"....   Some people say it is "better" for sustain or for making the strings feel more loose or whatever.  I dont think it really matters that much.