Gibson Brands Forums

Let It Be (Remixed) Out Tomorrow

Sgt. Pepper

I'll have to give The White Album another twirl. I remember it as pretty good. 

I wish I understood the Beatles better. You're supposed to. 

Plus, Lemmy did. Love the first scene in the Lemmy movie where he insists on buying a Beatles box set mixed in mono. Stereo? Remasters? Pfft. Mono, please. 

5 hours ago, Pinch said:

I'll have to give The White Album another twirl. I remember it as pretty good. 

I wish I understood the Beatles better. You're supposed to. 

Plus, Lemmy did. Love the first scene in the Lemmy movie where he insists on buying a Beatles box set mixed in mono. Stereo? Remasters? Pfft. Mono, please. 

The mono mixes are a tad different. Yeah Lemmys was mono man for the Fab 4.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The mono mixes are a tad different. Yeah Lemmys was mono man for the Fab 4.

Good movie - "Lemmy: 49% m. ther****er, 51% son of a b. tch" - if you haven't seen it. It's pretty funny. Plus you could get the two DVD set with all the extras for cheap even upon its release.  I like that in a band. 

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

Good movie - "Lemmy: 49% m. ther****er, 51% son of a b. tch" - if you haven't seen it. It's pretty funny. Plus you could get the two DVD set with all the extras for cheap even upon its release.  I like that in a band. 

I own it. Did we need to watch Mr. Kilmister making chips aka fries?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 10/30/2021 at 4:44 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I can help. The White Album is fuking amazing. Start there and take Beatle baby steps.

I always thought it funny that when most bands release double albums all the critics say 'well, it would be much better as a single album', but with the Beatles nobody says that...like you'll be arrested if you don't like even 1 song they wrote and then you get all these Beatle 'super fans' who think they were Gods! Let's be honest, the White Album was very patchy. I honestly think Use Your Illusion and Physical Graffiti were way better double albums (even though UYI wasn't technically a double). There are a lot of good songs on the White Album, but there are lots of bad ones too. I often think that much of the world was brainwashed to worship the Beatles during the 60's somehow! Abbey Road was better than the White Album, Rubber Soul is pretty good, Revolver is alright too. I never liked much of the early Beatles. 

Edited by cody78

3 hours ago, cody78 said:

I always thought it funny that when most bands release double albums all the critics say 'well, it would be much better as a single album', but with the Beatles nobody says that...like you'll be arrested if you don't like even 1 song they wrote and then you get all these Beatle 'super fans' who think they were Gods! Let's be honest, the White Album was very patchy. I honestly think Use Your Illusion and Physical Graffiti were way better double albums (even though UYI wasn't technically a double). There are a lot of good songs on the White Album, but there are lots of bad ones too. I often think that much of the world was brainwashed to worship the Beatles during the 60's somehow! Abbey Road was better than the White Album, Rubber Soul is pretty good, Revolver is alright too. I never liked much of the early Beatles. 

• Haha 1

Really Sarge, I never heard ALL the critics say that about double albums.  Especially ELECTRIC LADYLAND.

And true too, I didn't like ALL the tunes on that one either.  Same as single albums. And I guess too, that many double albums might be better pared down from four sides to two.  Except Johnny Winter's SECOND WINTER, as you recall, a double album with only THREE sides of recorded material.  [wink]  And besides...

It's all pretty much subjective.   As to the "White Album",  I know a few who didn't like ANY of it, and some who thought it was their "masterpiece".  I don't agree with that, but personally, I too like other Beatles albums a bit better.  But not too much better. 

Now, I don't know Cody's age, but  I think it's much younger than mine, since if not he'd remember what rock and "pop" music was like in the U.S. before The Beatles.

One of the biggest hits on the pop-rock charts in '63( a few months before The Beatles got heard around here) was TIE ME KANGAROO DOWN, SPORT.  I liked that tune as a novelty, but ROCK?  Nope.  Then there was a TOMMY ROE tune,   and TRINI LOPEZ was big in '63.  So were THE FOUR SEASONS  and LESLEY GORE.  Yeah, we dug it all, but the closest thing to real rock was JAN AND DEAN and THE BEACH BOYS.  And for me, Lonnie Mack's instrumental version of MEMPHIS was an  epiphany.  Then one night in Dec. '63, the local "top 40" station I listened to played a new tune from some band from England called  I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND, and it was like the clouds parted and the Gods were singing!  

Yeah, that is a bit dramatic but you get what I mean.  The early stuff by The Beatles(with an "a") changed the WHOLE GAME for DECADES!  Not only music, but our culture. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Really Sarge, I never heard ALL the critics say that about double albums.  Especially ELECTRIC LADYLAND.

And true too, I didn't like ALL the tunes on that one either.  Same as single albums. And I guess too, that many double albums might be better pared down from four sides to two.  Except Johnny Winter's SECOND WINTER, as you recall, a double album with only THREE sides of recorded material.  [wink]  And besides...

It's all pretty much subjective.   As to the "White Album",  I know a few who didn't like ANY of it, and some who thought it was their "masterpiece".  I don't agree with that, but personally, I too like other Beatles albums a bit better.  But not too much better. 

Now, I don't know Cody's age, but  I think it's much younger than mine, since if not he'd remember what rock and "pop" music was like in the U.S. before The Beatles.

One of the biggest hits on the pop-rock charts in '63( a few months before The Beatles got heard around here) was TIE ME KANGAROO DOWN, SPORT.  I liked that tune as a novelty, but ROCK?  Nope.  Then there was a TOMMY ROE tune,   and TRINI LOPEZ was big in '63.  So were THE FOUR SEASONS  and LESLEY GORE.  Yeah, we dug it all, but the closest thing to real rock was JAN AND DEAN and THE BEACH BOYS.  And for me, Lonnie Mack's instrumental version of MEMPHIS was an  epiphany.  Then one night in Dec. '63, the local "top 40" station I listened to played a new tune from some band from England called  I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND, and it was like the clouds parted and the Gods were singing!  

Yeah, that is a bit dramatic but you get what I mean.  The early stuff by The Beatles(with an "a") changed the WHOLE GAME for DECADES!  Not only music, but our culture. 

Whitefang

Yes, it's probably a generation thing as I'm 37, so all my main influences growing up were from the 90's. I remember hearing the Sgt. Pepper album for the first time when I was young and not being very impressed, except for a couple of songs. I did get into Abbey Road quite a lot in my teenage years, but I never really 'worshipped the Beatles. I can imagine they were exciting back in the early 60's, but time moved on and by the time I was getting massively into music the Beatles were not high on my list of influences. Obviously they wrote some great songs and will probably always be the biggest, most influential group of all time, but maybe it's the overexposure to them throughout my life that makes me question if they were really so 'fab'! Anyway, gone slightly off topic...I do like the Let it Be album as I stated in an earlier comment, just not enough to bother listening to a remaster.  

• Like 1

I meant in general, not any specific band.

I'm a dinosaur so wasn't really paying attention to what was being released, last night I listened to The Beatles, Frank Zappa and Pink Floyd so...

PJ Havey came out in the 90s, I'm really not sure who else was doing what.  Tom Waits went off the rails in a good way, Jeff Beck came back, Lou Reed came back, I think the Chili Peppers were making it big, Mose Allison switched to the electric piano, Frank Zappa died, that's about all I paid attention to.  I think Oozee Oozeborne was on the radio along with AC/DC, Guns and Roses, some other stuff that they played to death.

Edited by SteveFord

The 90's was about wearing flannel and signing any band that could correctly spell Seattle. 

But seriously what in music is left to do? We have all heard about 10,000  A - D - E chord progressions in songs. But you only got 12 notes to work with and then the repeat at a higher or lower octave.

In a few more weeks the Get Back doc will be out over the T-giving holiday. I'm stoked.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I meant in general, not any specific band.

I'm a dinosaur so wasn't really paying attention to what was being released, last night I listened to The Beatles, Frank Zappa and Pink Floyd so...

PJ Havey came out in the 90s, I'm really not sure who else was doing what.  Tom Waits went off the rails in a good way, Jeff Beck came back, Lou Reed came back, I think the Chili Peppers were making it big, Mose Allison switched to the electric piano, Frank Zappa died, that's about all I paid attention to.  I think Oozee Oozeborne was on the radio along with AC/DC, Guns and Roses, some other stuff that they played to death.

Truly, after the Mtv idiocy of the '80's and the emergence of Madonna, Boy George, Flock Of Seagulls and all that electronica driven pseudo punk I was glad to shed it all in the '90's.   And like any other decade in music, it too had some I couldn't hack(think Smashing Pumpkins,  Oasis, Greenday)  My favorites then I guess were STP,  Our Lady Peace, The Wallflowers, Live and Dave Matthews. And that short-lived "swing" period was fun too.  BRIAN SETZER blew that outa the water.   And there were a couple/few in the '80's that kept me a bit afloat.  I liked the Thomas Dolby FLAT EARTH album, and some Billy Squire.  But was really upset that after "Mad At You", Joe Jackson did that cheezy "Steppin' Out" thing.  And with Foreigner doing soft-rock love ballads   along with REO Styxwagon,  it was odd times. really.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Truly, after the Mtv idiocy of the '80's and the emergence of Madonna, Boy George, Flock Of Seagulls and all that electronica driven pseudo punk I was glad to shed it all in the '90's.   And like any other decade in music, it too had some I couldn't hack(think Smashing Pumpkins,  Oasis, Greenday)  My favorites then I guess were STP,  Our Lady Peace, The Wallflowers, Live and Dave Matthews. And that short-lived "swing" period was fun too.  BRIAN SETZER blew that outa the water.   And there were a couple/few in the '80's that kept me a bit afloat.  I liked the Thomas Dolby FLAT EARTH album, and some Billy Squire.  But was really upset that after "Mad At You", Joe Jackson did that cheezy "Steppin' Out" thing.  And with Foreigner doing soft-rock love ballads   along with REO Styxwagon,  it was odd times. really.

Whitefang

I saw Joe Jackson a few years back when he toured his new album Fool and I thought it was gonna be at least good, but man that show was absolutely killer.  I saw Thomas Dolby in San Diego when I was in the Navy. He was touring Aliens Ate My Buick and it was a really good show. 

We have MTV to thank for Reality TV. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Well, pick a decade, and you'll find musically, each of them had their lemons.  Even the "mighty '60's' weren't always all that great.  I mean.....

Remember "Henry The Eighth"?     The 1910 Fruitgum Co.?  The COWSILLS? The ARCHIES?? And  The Ohio Express?    And of course, THE MONKEES!  [wink]

Yeah, but me and a lot of my buds liked The Monkees.  Not the music always, but the TV show was a hoot.  And too, we knew it was all a put on, and THIS appearance confirmed it!

Whitefang

In case anyone is interested, at Wallyworld they have the 4 LP set of The White Album with the Esher Demos. Its $49 at the store and you have to buy it there. The online price is $99. Not sure why it is cheaper at the store, but it is. $49 is not great, but its not $99. You get the poster and the 4 frameable prints of the lads. I got mine original ones framed years ago.   

The remixes Giles Martin has been doing are fab.

Sometimes it just to much trouble to actually go through the taxing process of putting on street clothes. Aw screw it . . . my Family Guy sleepy pants, AC/DC - Back In Black T-shirt (even thought I don't listen to them), Chewbacca fuzzy slippers and my shower cap is good enough to go on an excursion to get my 4 gallon tub on Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks Ice Cream.