Gibson Brands Forums

Equal Rights For All.

Homz

Do you believe all people are equal under the laws of most western modern countries? It's an easy answer for most non-neanderthal modern thinkers. However, I ask do you employ those same modern thoughts to the way you treat friends and family. I am referring to females. Do you expect the ladies of your family to do the majority of the cooking or cleaning. Do you expect them to do menial jobs and never rise to become the CEO or any position of real authority. Do you say things like "keep in your place" or say to others that they are hiding behind someones skirt. Do you understand how this makes you look when you say such things?

Why do we as modern thinkers tout our beliefs of equality and yet on a personal level still demean the ladies in our life. I, for example, have done so when I tell Wicked 1 she is not one of the guys. This in reference to our band and her relationship with us her band mates. I regret having said that. I am obviously not so modern as to allow my lofty equality beliefs interfere with my cave man ways. I shall try to change my ways which are the stuff of ignorance.

Your thoughts?

How do you open a bottle of beer?

It better be opened when she brings it to me, dammit!

Why doesn't a married woman need a watch?

Because there's a clock on the stove, dammit!

All joking aside - I believe that a woman can be anything that she wants to be, and I tell my daughter this much frequently. Shucks, we came close to nominating a woman for president, and we nearly had a woman become vice-president, just in the past year. I would say as a culture, the US is coming along. However, like popular music, we're stilll behind the Europeans. Women have held their nations' highest offices for decades in the UK and many other countries.

No, a woman can't be "one of the guys." Women are better than that.

bloodyhell.jpg

Homz' date=' just make a thread about guitars/music/entertainment for once. [/quote']

Hey I did tie it to music. I gave an example with reference to our band. Tied. And BTW that is a real example. I didn't make it up.

Side Point: Our family has had many traditionally male rolls filled with women. Doctors, lawyers, musicians, and business owners among the list.

Do you believe all people are equal under the laws of most western modern countries? It's an easy answer for most non-neanderthal modern thinkers.

Just curious Homz, do you mean Republican thinkers? [-(

Unfortunately the thought process you describe is the norm for liberals. Always pointing out how we as a society should handle ourselves. However, when pointing it out they in no way meant it was a way they should conduct themselves. +:-@

No offense meant though.:-

A father and his son are in an accident. The father is OK, but the boy needs a life saving operation. The attending surgeon takes a look at the boy, then says, "I can't operate on this boy. He is my son!".

Who is the surgeon?

A father and his son are in an accident. The father is OK' date=' but the boy needs a life saving operation. The attending surgeon takes a look at the boy, then says, "I can't operate on this boy. He is my son!".

Who is the surgeon?[/quote']

Old

Just curious Homz' date=' do you mean Republican thinkers? [-(

Unfortunately the thought process you describe is the norm for liberals. Always pointing out how we as a society should handle ourselves. However, when pointing it out they in no way meant it was a way they should conduct themselves. +:-@

No offense meant though.:-

[/quote]

No, not necessarily just republicans. Being a male chauvinist pig seems to cross all political lines. If you must draw political lines perhaps you might say those on the right just seem more willing to admit their obviously backwards thinking. That's not to say there are great differences in the the political spectrums. In fact it might be that the dishonesty among the liberals on this issue is the greater wrong.

I see women as equals but I draw the line when Gloria Allred sues a city to make their qualifications easier so women can pass a test to be a fireman (woman?) She stated if a woman isn't strong enough to carry a dummy up a ladder, the dummy should be made lighter so she could. As far as the corporate world, for some reason, I see women as more trustworthy. I really don't know why

A father and his son are in an accident. The father is OK' date=' but the boy needs a life saving operation. The attending surgeon takes a look at the boy, then says, "I can't operate on this boy. He is my son!".

Who is the surgeon?[/quote']

I got this right in 3rd Grade, so I'll pass and let a 3rd grader answer it.:-$

I see women as equals but I draw the line when Gloria Allred sues a city to make their qualifications easier so women can pass a test to be a fireman (woman?) She stated if a woman isn't strong enough to carry a dummy up a ladder' date=' the dummy should be made lighter so she could. As far as the corporate world, for some reason, I see women as more trustworthy. I really don't know why[/quote']

I don't see this as an equal rights issue. I completely agree with your point. If the standards are the same and females can pass the physical requirements then they should be equally employed. If the standards have been changed then it isn't a question of equal. I think this argument is to often used to discredit the original point of this thread. So now I say to your argument or point that it is a red herring and not applicable.

I am glad you brought it up. I am simply countering your point. Not trying to be a ****.

Homz, just make a thread about guitars/music/entertainment for once.

He can't do it. He tries every once in a while, but then he can't resist dipping in his toes in the controversial end of the pool.

Just curious Homz, do you mean Republican thinkers?

To give him more credit than I will in a minute, he *did* admit to his own Neanderthal way of thinking. I think it's more a matter of men in general than Republican vs. Democrat men. Seems that whole "women are weak" idea has been ingrained in all men.

While I don't doubt that Homz would admit me to be *at least* his intellectual equal (and he should admit that I can think circles around his *** in most things), he has a nasty habit of trying to rein in my personality whenever we are in a public or semi-public setting. Long before I met him, I was the kind of girl that hung out with men. I was the only female chemistry major at my college, so there weren't a whole lot of girls that shared my interests. As long as it's just the two of us, I can say or do whatever I want, but when in public, he reverts to the 1950's idea of what a "good wife" should be. And I am no June Cleaver! He might consider me capable of doing anything, but he doesn't trust that the general public is going to take me in the spirit that I intend. Unfortunately for him, I refuse to change who I am for anybody... so I guess he's stuck with me the way he married me, huh? :-k

We disagree on a lot of issues, actually. I don't agree with relaxing standards, but I have no problem with taking a minority candidate over an equally-qualified white male. Perhaps that's because I fall into that non-whitemale category myself. I've seen firsthand the kind of subtle discrimination that still exists, especially in scientific fields. Seems people don't mind if a woman is your nurse or your pediatrician, but a female neurosurgeon or physicist---well, now, that's just more than many men are willing to accept even now.

And, to be honest, it started a huge fight in the house when he finally decided to tell me that I *could* be "one of the guys." (He still hasn't figured out that I don't ask for his permission, only adivce & counsel).

Men are the protectors. It's our nature and we can't help it so what you said to wicked 1 was in that light it seems to me.

Probably that's how he meant it, but I would remind both of you that there's nothing more protective than a momma bear. I have never felt a need to have a man protect me. Yeah, it's nice to have *someone* when you're feeling down or vulnerable, but I think anybody that has tangled with me where my family was concerned is well aware of how fierce a woman can be. [-(

My wife got a business finance degree. She's now a credit analyst for a bank.

I got an English degree. This allows me to pick any job from the bottom two rows.

The fact that I'm (much) more conservative than many of my peers means that I don't function well in uber-liberal situations, and hence the kind of places that hire English majors tend to rule me out.

I've recently moved up to Head Chef at my workplace, so I'm pretty much set financially, and I'm able to cook and do dishes for my wife. She takes care of anything organization related, and our finances. It never really becomes a problem until we hang out with her side of the family - Pops-in-law has 3 businesses, his wife stays at home. Bro-in-law runs a different bank, his wife stays at home. I'm constantly asked when I'm going to get a "real" job so my wife can stay at home. They also think I should be handling our finances, even though she has a degree for it and I'm a financial retard who used to spend everything but rent and utility money on guitars. Even though my wife has showed her family check stubs and bank statements, they still feel that I need to prove myself somehow, and that she should be staying at home.

I typically work dinner, and catering on weekends, and I go completely insane when I'm stuck here by myself.

I started off with the best intentions of responding to you, Homz, but this kind of turned into a venting session for me.

Women in the workplace / traditionally male roles = good

Inlaws who try to perpetuate traditionally male roles = bad

The Wicked 1 sure has a way with the words. As for her thinking circles around me...let's just say I have my doubts. On scholarly issues perhaps, but creative thinking and original thoughts, I've got the edge. All be it not much of one. She's really hot when she does the sexy librarian thing. I digress.

She is a better musician then me....BY FAR!!!!!

Archived